Tory Lanez critiques state of hip-hop

Sauce and Footwork

Superstar
Daps
NBA Youngboi makes sonically the worst music I have ever heard. I am not hating at all. Dirk ain’t much better either. But damn

Daps
Kinda felt like this after listening to that Drake and Baby joint and was listening to NBA’s Slimeto album while in the gym

Drake and Baby joint was low effort and generic as hell

YB album I liked some joints but it didn’t seem cohesive and most of the music won’t last or could be discarded. YB’s album could have been his Me Against The World with the shyt he’s going through but the artistry in terms of album making just ain’t there another long collection of songs.
I think YB just releasing albums to get out of his contract

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I'm not a guy who ever points out an agenda but...it seems like there's an agenda here. Most of the big albums this year have been rap. Many of them are still on the charts - Durk, Future, Kendrick, Drake, Rod Wave, etc. So if there's no real evidence that hip hop in of itself is losing popularity, and if music in general is seeing a sales decline (in part due to the changes to streaming rules) why do people keep saying this?

The messaging, looming recession and industry people involved tell me two things: 2023 is gonna be about finding the next Bad Bunny, and more dance music. I'm not opposed to either obviously, nor does rap need to fall off for those things to rise. Bad Bunny has been dominating all year and it didn't stop any of the rappers I mentioned, nor did it impact Beyonce. I'd love nothing more than a lot of the current rap shyt to die out - drill, the dead opps shyt, etc - but it's not happening anytime soon. White boys into street shyt aren't going to suddenly turn into afrobeat fans.