TSC Evaluation #22: Sabu

Overall Rating

• Total voters

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
Flabu :bow:

Hardcore legend, him and RVD had me addicted to watching old school ECW. Watching their tag matches had me :ohhh: since I was a Hardy Boyz mark and I saw where they got their style from. To this day, him and RVD had the only dope stretcher match I've seen. His high flying spots into the audience and breaking tables, with or without an opponent on them, were GOAT status. Classics with Funk, Eliminators, even Sandman... Like someone said before, even his botches were legendary :pachaha: Overall, I'll give him a 5 in the grand scheme of things.

Edit: @mrken12 can you add Sandman to the pending requests :lolbron:

Last edited:
Daps
6 overall

One of the key pieces to ECW & set the path for the rvds, Shane O Macs, & Jeff Hardy's of the world.

I usually liked sabu`s matches tho. Typically fun matches to watch.:yeshrug:

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
-Mic work/promos: 1

I mean Sabu was shyt on the mic and never really cut any groundbreaking promos

-Personality/gimmicks: 8

I'd give the thumbs up to his gimmick and personality because he really was just a crazy motherfukker who spoke very little and came across like he had very little respect for his body or the lives of his opponent.

-Ring work (along with some of your favorite matches/feuds): 5

His ringwork really wasn't the best. Although he had some classic matches, they weren't really technically sound nor was the ringwork the best. However, his spots and bumps were fukking God Tier which is why he was such an ECW legend.

-Overall rating (which doesn't have to be an average of the above scores): 5

Sabu is an ECW legend and has had legendary matches but he wasn't necessarily a great wrestler. He was a great entertainer tho so I can see why he holds a special place in my memories as well as those of other ECW fans and long time smarks.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
-Mic work/promos: He hardly talked, and when he did I don't think he ever cut a promo I remember: 1

-Personality/gimmicks: 8-His gimmick fit him to a T. Suicidal, Homicidal,Genocidal was exactly what he was.

-Ring work (along with some of your favorite matches/feuds) 5- He could put on a passable match now and then. Feud with Taz was legendary.

-Overall rating: 5, and I'm being very generous.

I cosign this..Sabu got increasingly sloppy by the late 90s on top of the injuries....he was capable of some pretty good matches with the right opponent (Benoit, Cactus Jack, 2 Cold, Rey mysterio, etc etc)..you couldn't pay me to watch a Sabu match in 2017 lol

Cobratron

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
-Mic work/promos: 1. Did he ever do more than grunt?

-Personality/gimmicks: 6.

-Ring work (along with some of your favorite matches/feuds): 3. shytty, shytty wrestler. He botched his signature moves all the time. He was really nothing more than a backyard wrestler. Best match I've ever see from him is versus Rey Mysterio at One Night Stand, but that's not saying much.

-Overall rating (which doesn't have to be an average of the above scores): 4. I know he's a legend in the realm of ECW and was seen as revolutionary for his time, but he's never meant much to me and never lived up to the hype that the wrestling magazines threw upon him once I finally saw him.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Hell even his botches are godtier because dude did the shyt on purpose to damn near kill a wrestler.

Bottom line a strong 9 from me.
Even though Sabu botched a lot it never bothered me back in the day. It kind of legitimized his character for me. His botches showed that there was an actual risk in high risk maneuvers. Sabu didn't botch simple shyt, it was always in an attempt to do something crazy.

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
Even though Sabu botched a lot it never bothered me back in the day. It kind of legitimized his character for me. His botches showed that there was an actual risk in high risk maneuvers. Sabu didn't botch simple shyt, it was always in an attempt to do something crazy.

Yeah that's the point. Dude botches were a work of art compared to a typical high flyer (ahem Sin Cara). You know Sabu was going to double up on the botch anyway. Like when he can't break a table and just say screw it....I'm going to put myself through the table just because:yeshrug:.

OVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
:ld:I can't give Sabo a fair score. I caught ECW during its last days when I was like 9 and my most recent memories of him are skewed by Sabotchamania compilations. He had a great look, tried to be innovative and the homicidal/suicidal tag was great, but yeah...

James Dean

All Star
Daps
-Mic work/promos 1. Not really anything in his catalog worth mentioning.

-Personality/gimmicks. 8. This is his defining area. Took with Sheik did and kind of spun it into his own unique way.

-Ring work (along with some of your favorite matches/feuds) 6. Sabu actually has some pretty good stuff under his belt. His all time match was against Terry Funk back in 1997. And then the triple threat with Douglas and Funk back in 94. I'll throw in the match with RVD back in 96. Feuds vs TAZ and RVD were great. So you got too look at dude for his Hardcore style. Judge him that way, and youll find hes done some good stuff.

-Overall rating (which doesn't have to be an average of the above scores) Solid 7. Not a good mic worker. Not a good all around wrestler, but great for his hardcore crazy style. Effective gimmick.