Uber loses its license in London (down 7 percent pre market)

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Uber -6% after losing London license.

• Uber (NYSE:UBER) -6.4% premarket after being stripped of its license to operate in London for the second time in two years.

• While its services won't immediately be blocked, it's a major blow to the ride-hailing giant, which must appeal the decision and prove its safety record.

• Uber was previously blocked from the city in September 2017, leading to a protracted legal battle with Transport of London winning it a reprieve

Uber loses London license over safety concerns
By Noah Manskar

November 25, 2019 | 6:16am

uber-london-1.jpg

DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS/AFP via Getty Images
Uber on Monday was stripped of its license to operate in London over the company’s failure to ensure passenger safety.

Transport for London deemed the ride-hailing giant “not fit and proper” to hold a license because it has not done enough to stop unlicensed and uninsured drivers from carrying riders.

“Safety is our absolute top priority,” Helen Chapman, the agency’s director of licensing, regulation and charging, said in a statement. “While we recognize Uber has made improvements, it is unacceptable that Uber has allowed passengers to get into minicabs with drivers who are potentially unlicensed and uninsured.”

Uber said it will appeal the decision, which it called “extraordinary and wrong.” The company has three weeks to make an appeal and its cars can remain on London’s streets during that time, officials said.

“On behalf of the 3.5 million riders and 45,000 licensed drivers who depend on Uber in London, we will continue to operate as normal and will do everything we can to work with TfL to resolve this situation,” Jamie Heywood, Uber’s regional general manager for northern and eastern Europe, said in a statement.

ThrobbingHood

Take from the b*tch, give to the whores.
Daps
This is because too many black/brown men were eating off the plate of Black Taxi drivers (majority of whom are white).

The white government weren't about to let that carry on. Black Taxi drivers are just as racist as NY cab drivers. fukk them.

For clarity "Black taxi" cabs are black... not the drivers themselves.

2802.jpg

Last edited:

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
A few years ago, an Uber driver charged me $50 for leaving "excessive soil on the vehicle floor". Of course I needed receipts so I told her to send me a picture.

I got the pic and there was only 2 strands of grass on the floor and I wasn't even SITTING ON THAT SIDE.

Took almost 2 months of going back and forth with them to get my money back. So since then, I've been like "Fukk Uber" :pacspit::camby:

peppe

Superstar
Daps
This is because too many black/brown men were eating off the plate of Black Taxi drivers (majority of whom are white).

The white government weren't about to let that carry on. Black Taxi drivers are just as racist as NY cab drivers. fukk them.

nikka whet :beli:

Here in London, we have black taxis. They’re typically driven exclusively by white men that are racist as hell and they never stop for black men unless you’re in a suit or with a white person.

thanks for the clear explanation

anyway i have tested when we went on vacation there and I was saving mad money with uber instead of using the local cabs so I hope they reverse this.

Traffic is a bytch sometimes and we were in the cab for more then 45 min and we only paid £17. If this was with a local cab we would have been fleeced

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
There’s so many taxis in London, people will do fine without them for a second. I believe the only time I’d use Uber in London was either of I was out waaaaaayyyyy late (3am-5am) since it’s harder to find a cab then, or if I’m in “hit and quit” mode and I need to leave a girl’s house in a hurry...

Any other time, the tube is just fine...