unpopular opinion but De La Soul is the epitome of boring

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
me myself and I was my jam as a lil kid
otherwise i agree with you. as an adult i tried to go back and listen to some of the forefathers of backpack like dela and prince paul
but shyt just didn't hit to me
probably equal parts it aged badly and you had to be there

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think De La would have been a great show by themselves before Dave died, in a smaller venue. As an intro to Nas & Wu they weren't great. Like others said AZ would have been a better fit, or MOP.

Most of all it was a bit depressing without Trugoy. I feel like Pos & Maseo need to form a new group with somebody like Mos Def. I think its best to retire De La Soul like Tribe, Run DMC, Beasties did after a member died.

I won't call them haters either, they just had some songs that questioned the shyttier trends in Hip Hop. Classic, adventurous and intellectual group.

Talib filled in for Dave on the tour

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
de la is my favorite of all time and is the precursor to mf doom and madvilliany
they remind me of the pink floyd of rap ... buhloone mindstate was meant to be psychedlic and Sgt Pepperish - Beatles

Tribe was more in your face, but De La was more pure and free. I wish they did more, they didnt conform or give a fukk

you have to listen in context of a full album, not just single and pop chasing like Outkast or Tribe
I do think pop edge is better with writing, but there's a place for diaryesque personal avant garde lyrics

for 2 emcees to be on the same page in this way is bonkers really

best live show ive seen, they just freestyled over their songs and made new versions. It felt like I was hearing an unreleased album