Walk It Like You Talk It- NBA Owner Political Donations Breakdown

Are you surprised rich white people said one thing and did another?

• Total voters
Daps
The Political Donations of NBA Owners Are Not So Progressive
We found political contributions by 27 different owners (as well as 20 significant others) over a period of more than five years. Of that $28 million total, more than $14.9 million (53.4 percent) went to Republican politicians and PACs, while over $12 million (43.1 percent) was directed to Democrats. That leaves roughly $1 million to nonpartisan issues, such as the University Public Issues Committee, the National Cable and Telecommunications Association, or PACs that give to candidates from both parties. At first glance, that appears to be a fairly even split. Those numbers, however, are misleading due in large part to a massive, single contribution recently made by one governor.

This cycle, league governors have collectively donated more money to Trump and his associated super PACs than all non-Ballmer Democratic donations combined. Everytown for Gun Safety was by far the biggest beneficiary of NBA owner contributions. After that, nine of the next 10 top recipients of NBA governor donations this cycle have been GOP candidates or causes. They are, in order:

• The Republican National Committee
  • Unite the Country (a left-leaning PAC that made the list thanks to $500,000 from Connie Ballmer)
  • Trump Victory
  • The National Republican Senatorial Committee
  • The Senate Leadership Fund
  • Better Future MI Fund (a super PAC for John James, a Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate in Michigan)
  • The Congressional Leadership Fund
  • America First Action
  • The National Republican Congressional Committee
  • The Cornyn Majority Committee (a super PAC affiliated with Republican Senator John Cornyn)
If you don't feel like reading and just want to know what franchise is doing what:

Magic, Cavs, Knicks, Spurs, Rockets, Heat, Sixers, Pelicans, Suns, Wolves, and Jazz owners all have their primary donations to the GOP

Ballmer's Democratic donations are more than any other owner's combined to the Democrats (I didn't sit and total it out I just eyeballed it)

Mark Cuban isn't listed and Boston only has a $500 (I believe) non-partisan donation. I personally wonder if Pop's gonna have words with the Spurs owner about his donations:mjgrin:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
The one question I'm curious about is who exactly did the NBA players negotiate with to allow the arenas to become polling places? Initially they said that all of them would be and now we know thats not the case. It was never going to financially or logistically feasible for every NBA city/arena.

Did they know that and were told beforehand or did they get hoodwinked? The owners more than likely said yes into making it happen knowing that city officials also had a say so in the matter as well.

Last edited:
Daps
The one question I'm curious about is who exactly did the NBA players negotiate with to allow the arenas to become polling places? Initially they said that all of them would be and now we know thats not the case. It was never going to financially or logistically feasible for every NBA city/arena. The

Did they know that and were told beforehand or did they get hoodwinked? The owners more than likely said yes into making it happen knowing that city officials also had a say so in the matter as well.
Me too because more polling places is a weird compromise when a stoppage of play was on the table. One of the more interesting quotes in the article was

Andre Iguodala, the first vice president of the NBPA, went further.

“Is it a marketing ploy, or are we just doing it to build relations?” Iguodala asked in remarks to USA Today. “In the grand scheme of things, that’s $10 million per team, and that’s essentially a tax.”

I wouldn't be surprised if NBA players got duped on a certain level

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Me too because more polling places is a weird compromise when a stoppage of play was on the table. One of the more interesting quotes in the article was

I wouldn't be surprised if NBA players got duped on a certain level

I and I'm sure a lot of other people initially assumed that NBA teams would be footing the bill for turning the arenas into a polling place since that's what the players were asking for. Turns out, that's not exactly the case as the FedexForum says that the city would be footing the bill for it and that's why they can't do it. They also stated that allocating resources to the arenas would take away from other polling places in the city along with the logistical costs and issues of making it happen.

It makes total sense in the grand scheme of things and makes it seem like players didn't know exactly what they were negotiating and were in over their heads in that aspect.

Daps
I and I'm sure a lot of other people initially assumed that NBA teams would be footing the bill for turning the arenas into a polling place since that's what the players were asking for. Turns out, that's not exactly the case as the FedexForum says that the city would be footing the bill for it and that's why they can't do it. They also stated that allocating resources to the arenas would take away from other polling places in the city along with the logistical costs and issues of making it happen.

It makes total sense in the grand scheme of things and makes it seem like players didn't know exactly what they were negotiating and were in over their heads in that aspect.
:picard: NBA commentators spewing propaganda everytime they bring up arena voting. USA already facing a poll worker shortage too so I was wondering how that'd work in those massive arenas

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
:picard: NBA commentators spewing propaganda everytime they bring up arena voting. USA already facing a poll worker shortage too so I was wondering how that'd work in those massive arenas

And to be honest, I don't even think that they knew that either. They intentions meant well and their hearts were in the right place, but they lacked the vision and true leadership when they decided to go through with the boycott. It also didn't help matters that the player who started the boycott instantly walked it back after it happened and everybody started placing blame and pointing fingers. They didn't know what to ask for in the negotiations to return to play and literally got hoodwinked by the owners because of it.

I have mentioned in previous threads already about how they got hoodwinked by the owners and media in that the CBA is going to get ripped up regardless of whether they finished the season or not. If fans can't be in the stands next season, then the owners are going to want major changes to help offset the financial losses. In no way, were they going to foot the bill for the polling up when they were already facing huge financial losses already because of COVID-19. Especially considering that the majority of them are MAGA anyways.

Last edited:
Daps
And to be honest, I don't even think that they knew that either. They intentions meant well and their hearts were in the right place, but they lacked the vision and true leadership when they decided to go through with the boycott. It also didn't help matters that the player who started the boycott instantly walked it back after it happened and everybody started placing blame and pointing fingers. They didn't know what to ask for in the negotiations to return to play and literally got hoodwinked by the owners because of it.

I have mentioned in previous threads already about how they got hoodwinked by the owners and media in that the CBA is going to get ripped up regardless of whether they finished the season or not. If fans can't be in the stands next season, then the owners are going to want major changes to help offset the financial losses. In no way, were they going to foot the bill for the polling up when they were already facing huge financial losses already because of COVID-19. Especially considering that the majority of them are MAGA anyways.
The media's role in all this truly can't be forgotten. The way they came for Kyrie's neck when he suggested they don't resume was extremely telling, but we all peeped that. I hope one day we get the full story behind the Bubble negotiations
Congratulations on finding out that the uber wealthy support conservatives.
Ballmer's keeping it consistent with his donations. There's levels to the MAGA tilt

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
The media's role in all this truly can't be forgotten. The way they came for Kyrie's neck when he suggested they don't resume was extremely telling, but we all peeped that. I hope one day we get the full story behind the Bubble negotiations

I hope it comes from some of the players themselves and not through the media. They have/had every incentive to make sure that the players finished out the season as COVID-19 messed up their bread just as much as it did for the players. A lot of them had to take paycuts and will still end up losing their job once all of this is over.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC

Athletes usually are when it comes to this type of stuff.
Kudos to them for trying tho, heart was in the rightish place I guess

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
No issue with folks donating to whatever candidates they want. Plus I’m not fooled by owners such as the Spurs, Magic, Cavs donating big time to Repubs. Look at who owns them and their history