Water Damaged my iphone. Will genius bar be able to tell if I changed the indicator back to white?

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
OK, so I was riding in the car with my iphone on my leg and I had water in a cup in the cupholder. anyways, I nod off for a second (I wasn't driving) and when I wake up, my phone is in a half glass of water :damn:

tried to fix it, but I think it's :rip:

my question is will the genius bar ONLY check the water damage indicator inside the sim tray? cuz if so I took the phone apart already and changed it back from pink to white with a q-tip and bleach and some leftover white thermal paste I had lying around :pachaha:

I also pulled the sim out my wife's phone to compare how hers looks to how mines looks, and they appear to be identical.

I didn't really see any other water damage indicators on the 5S and I checked youtube to make sure. how thorough will they check it?

@illadope do you know?

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
lol you're fukked buddy, but.....

mn-bowl-of-rice.jpg

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
yeah, believei t or not theres multiple water indicators on the iphone, some we can see and some they can see.

• Dap
Reactions: x2y

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
found an article that states that apple is taking phones back with the sensor red after a lawsuit:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/18/apple-relaxes-water-damage-restrictions-for-iphone-trade-ins/

Apple Relaxes Water Damage Restrictions for iPhone Trade-Ins
Monday November 18, 2013 5:18 pm PST by Juli Clover
Beginning this week, in-store iPhone trade-in value will no longer be affected by the phone's Liquid Contact Indicators, reports 9to5Mac. According to Apple retail employees, iPhones that have activated Liquid Contact Indicators will be accepted for trade-in and the damage will not have a negative impact on trade-in value.

liquidcontact.png

Though tripped sensors will not impact value, Apple will continue to refuse devices that have been noticeably damaged by water. Only phones that have had their sensors activated by slight amounts of moisture or humidity can be traded in. In the past, Apple's indicator tape has been proven to be triggered by humid conditions, which ultimately resulted in a lawsuit against the company.This week's changes to the program, however, will allow more customers to trade in their devices. However, the company isn't going to start allowing seriously water-damaged phones for trade-in anytime soon. If there is evidence of liquid under the phone's display or corrosion in the ports, the phone will still be ineligible for any trade-in value regardless of what the liquid contact indicator looks like.When Apple's trade-in program launched back in August, the company did not accept phones that had any kind of water damage. The new policy on Liquid Contact Indicators will apply both in the United States and the U.K., where the program launched in October.

Apple's in-store Reuse and Recycling program provides users with a gift card that can be used towards the purchase of a new on-contract phone. Trade-in values are based on model, capacity, and other criteria such as physical condition.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
the rice shyt really works brehs, i dropped my iphone and my ipod completely in water and they stopped working. put em in a bowl of dry rice and they worked in a few days.

I know it works. I dropped my phone in the snow last winter, and the speaker stopped working nor could I make calls. one night of rice, and it was good as new. However, I think my phone is dead for real.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
so I took it in this morning. and I guess dude was cool, cuz he took it in the back and said :yeshrug: it's water damaged. however, he said he could still replace it free :win:. I guess since the indicator was still white.

however, the problem is they ain't gonna have the phone in stock til wed/thu :sadcam: and I am going out of town thursday. so I need to get this resolved!!

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
so I took it in this morning. and I guess dude was cool, cuz he took it in the back and said :yeshrug: it's water damaged. however, he said he could still replace it free :win:. I guess since the indicator was still white.

however, the problem is they ain't gonna have the phone in stock til wed/thu :sadcam: and I am going out of town thursday. so I need to get this resolved!!
2/3 without a phone seems like a lifetime, but in this case its not that bad