Religion/Spirituality What Are the Benefits of Atheism?

Johnny Kilroy

79 points in 1 quarter
Daps
Reppin
the midrange
No trolling here. Serious question.

And I'll put it in the OP so I don't have to say it again later. I am not a religious person so miss me with that typical bickering. If you have something to contribute your input is welcome and appreciated.

I think the question is pretty straight forward but I know how some of yall do so I'll try to break it down.

Why should one become an atheist? How would their life be better?

And also, what contributions have atheists made to humanity?

I'm an agnostic who isn't sure about God but I just don't see the point of being an atheist. It's one thing to just shrug your shoulders and not worry one way or the other, which is what I've been doing but questions burn inside of me so I decided to ask the HL community.

Explain it to me, brehs, and please keep the hostility to a minimum.

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
1. You get to make fun of believers
2. You can stand on evidence vs faith.

:manny: i can't really think of any "benefits" that atheist have that theist don't.

Outside of maybe being able to live with the comfort that this once existence is the end all ergo your actions ultimately mean nothing.

Benefits though? I really don't see any.

Johnny Kilroy

79 points in 1 quarter
Daps
Reppin
the midrange
1. You get to make fun of believers
2. You can stand on evidence vs faith.

:manny: i can't really think of any "benefits" that atheist have that theist don't.

Outside of maybe being able to live with the comfort that this once existence is the end all ergo your actions ultimately mean nothing.

Benefits though? I really don't see any.

No disrespect, but that sounds kinda scary. Basically you're saying the only benefit to being an atheist is lack of a conscious.

"Be an atheist. We get to kick old people and not feel bad about it." :pachaha:

I can't front though... I do like kicking old people. :guilty:

Zapp Brannigan

Captain of the Nimbus
Daps
Reppin
DOOP
No disrespect, but that sounds kinda scary. Basically you're saying the only benefit to being an atheist is lack of a conscious.

"Be an atheist. We get to kick old people and not feel bad about it." :pachaha:

I can't front though... I do like kicking old people. :guilty:

The prison rate for atheists is much, much lower than those who are religious, so that argument is not a good one.

Atheism Rare Among Prison Population

Johnny Kilroy

79 points in 1 quarter
Daps
Reppin
the midrange
The prison rate for atheists is much, much lower than those who are religious, so that argument is not a good one.

Atheism Rare Among Prison Population

Are you talking to a black man about prison rates? :aicmon:

Besides, that's not my argument. I simply paraphrased what the homie said.

Even so, just about ANY argument about anything >>>>>>>>>>>>>> any argument based on prison rates. :russ:

How many atheists are black? How many are white? Prison rates? I can't believe you just said that.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Are you talking to a black man about prison rates? :aicmon:

Besides, that's not my argument. I simply paraphrased what the homie said.

well the person you paraphrased isn't an atheist either. well he was briefly...

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus

technically no, i wasn't. I believed in god still :manny: it wasn't my brightest moment.

As for prison rates...
There are more people who believe in religion in general so i'd expect to see that.

I was taking a stab at the "benefits" of being an atheist. I don't see any. In fact, there's one large liability. If you're an athiest and you're wrong, well that's a convo with God i don't want to be in on.

If you believe and you're wrong well... you're dirt so who cares :heh:

Johnny Kilroy

79 points in 1 quarter
Daps
Reppin
the midrange

You're an atheist, right? What are the benefits?

I can see benefits of religion. Look at somebody like Malcolm X. A hardened criminal who cleaned his life up with religion. Can atheism reform a person like that? Make their life better? And if so, in what way?

Speak from your own experience. How has atheism benefited you?

BTW, props, man because you always come through with an open mind and a willingness to discuss. :shake:

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
odd question what is the befits of believing in god? Either belief does not grant you any special favors in our world right now so. :manny:

Johnny Kilroy

79 points in 1 quarter
Daps
Reppin
the midrange
technically no, i wasn't. I believed in god still :manny: it wasn't my brightest moment.

As for prison rates...
There are more people who believe in religion in general so i'd expect to see that.

I was taking a stab at the "benefits" of being an atheist. I don't see any. In fact, there's one large liability. If you're an athiest and you're wrong, well that's a convo with God i don't want to be in on.

If you believe and you're wrong well... you're dirt so who cares
:heh:

Yeah I've heard that before and there is definitely truth to it.

If there is an afterlife, atheists are fukked, where as if there isn't... :manny:.

When you consider that, especially, it really makes me beg the question. Why should one choose atheism over theism?

How does atheism benefit humanity IN THIS LIFE? (not asking you specifically, just repeating my question in general)

There's clearly NO benefit at all if there is an afterlife, in fact, there is only detriment. So clearly there must be MAJOR benefits of atheism in this life but all I can think of is what you said earlier, lack of accountability.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
In fact, there's one large liability. If you're an athiest and you're wrong, well that's a convo with God i don't want to be in on.

If you believe and you're wrong well... you're dirt so who cares :heh:

how can I have belief in something I don't believe in? I would just be lying to myself. and of course an omniscient God would know that

and I would hope that omniscient God would judge me on more than my belief in God. if that's the only criteria to get it, count me out (and count a lot of god-fearing rapists, murdered, etc in)

Johnny Kilroy

79 points in 1 quarter
Daps
Reppin
the midrange
odd question what is the befits of believing in god? Either belief does not grant you any special favors in our world right now so. :manny:

One benefit of theism is a strong code of moral conduct. I mentioned malcolm X earlier in the thread and how he changed from a thug to something much more decent. And isn't that the purpose of religion? To teach moral values, right from wrong? Religion teaches that. Atheism does not.