What is the best DNA site to trace your Ancestry?

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Where is your fam from if you don’t mind me asking? Certain states are shyttier than others when it comes to record keeping

My grandfather was a sharecropper, we have family in North and South Carolina. That's all I know.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
why do they need your social security numbers?

I think it would have helped me track down a birth certificate, but it's been awhile since I tried.

I think Ancestry.com itself told me it can't go farther than this, because he never had one until years later.

I've never done a DNA test, figure might as well do that first :yeshrug:

tater

Superstar
Daps
Tried it, but I can't go past my grandfather because Black folk didn't have social security numbers back then :francis:

You can look through marriage records, deeds, taxes, etc. up through a certain point (then slavery if you’re AA). I’m pretty sure everyone, white and black got ss# when they were implemented. I could be wrong...

I used 23andme for my test. I wasn’t able to go too far back with ancestry though, but I distinctly remember reading a document that my relative registered for a ss#.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
My grandfather was a sharecropper, we have family in North and South Carolina. That's all I know.
Ok. As long as you got a name, age, and know which county they’re from you should be able to find them. I think they’re still updating the 1940 census, because I can’t find a gang of family that I easily found in previous censuses. And if they were born after 1940, you won’t get census records but you may be able to find birth/death certificates, public residential records, marriage records, etc

Btw starting off Id use familysearch.com first to get your feet wet since it’s free.

Last edited: