What would EA be without Apex Legends, Epic without Fortnite, Activision without Warzone, Take two without 2K? Gamers are whiny-the thread.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Are GAAS needed or no?

Gamers are whiny and entitled.

One minute they complain about companies going under, or that people aren't buying XYZ games but then when publishers do things to make more recurring revenue, they complain about that. How you think they'll make more $$ to fund these bigger games? Why do you think they're doing more remakes/remasters nowadays?

I'm not going to pretend I'm some guy that's well versed in this topic but I'm just thinking in a more layman fashion. Things cost money, they do things to make money to make those more expensive things.

Gamers want their cake and to eat it too with cherry on top and a slice to the side.

You think Jim Ryan is looking at the success a GAAS title like Helldivers 2 is thinking "Hmm, maybe I was wrong?"

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
If Sony were a healthy company, they would give a bunch of AAA-budgeted games away for 17 bucks a month.
:dead:

Sad part is we were paying more for games 30 years ago than now. nikkaz really are entitled as fukk. We clown Xbox but nikkaz really think getting AAA games on day one in a subscription service is sustainable? Video Game Companies gotta start realizing too that you just don’t give anyone a high budget either for AAA games without being proven. And they need to readjust their margins because scared money don’t make none. You want quality, you gotta pay for it and the talent. Start cuttin corners to be cheap and money hungry and you destroy everything you built up.

fukkin up your fosho tryin to get some mo

Daps
I didn't have a problem with Sony first-party games going to $70. I bought Spidey 2 at launch and got forty hours in before earning the platinum. That's fewer than two dollars an hour for the entertainment. People will pay twenty dollars to see a two-hour movie or hundreds of dollars to see a three-hour live show, but somehow $70 for 30-60 hours of gameplay depending on the game is too much.

Tears of the Kingdom went to $70 and I got so many hours out of that I was literally spending the equivalent of a few cents per hour of enjoyment. I just don't get these dudes complaining about game prices out here.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
Its moreso the quality of the gaas. Alot of these are being mandated and the quality isnt carrying over. They need to focus on making a good multiplayer game first. Lets not forget the sea of dead gaas games that destroyed whole developers or put them out the way for years on a dummy mission.

Naughty Dog almost got clapped... it can't be for nothing. :sadcam:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Its moreso the quality of the gaas. Alot of these are being mandated and the quality isnt carrying over. They need to focus on making a good multiplayer game first. Lets not forget the sea of dead gaas games that destroyed whole developers or put them out the way for years on a dummy mission.

Naughty Dog almost got clapped... it can't be for nothing. :sadcam:

I always said Sonys plan for Live service made sense. A lot of these. Live service/multiplayer games come and go because a lot of them are half hearted from AAA studios or just lower budget titles like rumble city or whatever.

Sony putting in good effort to make multiplayer games and having a quality assurance department is a smart idea. Bungie as much as people want to act like they are worthless is a good litmus tester for these games. If sony put out Factiosn and it ended up like suicide squad they’d be ruined.

It also proves they aren’t just “throwing things at a wall” they are making sure their games are good and have the potential of longevity before they release them.

If Concord is decent and Twisted Metal is good you already have 3 new hits with Marathon on the horizon.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
for the most part, I'm not into those games, but I understand others are, and some people exclusively play those games

but obviously there's a lot of competition out there, and a GAAS needs constant support and content

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
for the most part, I'm not into those games, but I understand others are, and some people exclusively play those games

but obviously there's a lot of competition out there, and a GAAS needs constant support and content

Which is another reason why it made sense to buy new studios or spinoff studios for live service content. Naughty Dog becoming a half factions studio half AAA single party studio was never realistic

Piffiztheanswer

L'immortale
Daps
Reppin
The International Scene
Companies gotta make bread, so they can churn out their GAAS and hope for a hit.

But if thats the only type of game they gona make going forward then im good, maybe the rest of the community will gobble it up and continue to pour their wallets into an online game. Not me.

Daps
The problem with live service is that the market only has room for a small handful of big hitters. Helldivers 2 was a lucky hit that apparently is on its way to 5-10M sales. But that's hard to do and is partly because the dev understood the market was hungry for a fun PvE game in a sea of samey PvP games.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The problem with live service is that the market only has room for a small handful of big hitters. Helldivers 2 was a lucky hit that apparently is on its way to 5-10M sales. But that's hard to do and is partly because the dev understood the market was hungry for a fun PvE game in a sea of samey PvP games.

The solution is going to be that you can’t really tread the same water another giant is occupying. You can’t impede on the fortnite or warzone audience.

Thats why i keep saying A Twisted Metal game would actually work today. It’s esssentially rocket league with PVP shooting elements. Like helldivers it also has the command code gimmick to do super moves and abilities. There’s also the story aspect thats tied to it

Concord im not really sure about,

MoshpitMazi

Moshpit Gxng/ Anti Fash
Daps
Reppin
Stone Mountain GA
Ok but those are the outliers for every ONE of those there are 12 failed GAAS that don't capture the public attention.

Just give us good fukking games what's so hard about that? Not everything needs to be a massive AAA.

Mid budget AA TPS shooters died for some odd reason and I don't get it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Ok but those are the outliers for every ONE of those there are 12 failed GAAS that don't capture the public attention.

The same could be said for single player games. We don’t talk about 90% of games that release in any given year, regardless of budget.

That ghost of Eden game just came out and no one is talking about it. Alan Wake 2 despite being an award show critical darling went triple plastic. I just had the time of my life playing Prince of Persia Lost Crown, why didn’t anyone buy it? It reviewed well, it wasn’t full price, it had a black lead character…etc.People keep lamenting about AA as if AA games don’t come out every week and people don’t care.

AA these days are just seen as lesser versions of AAA games not it’s own market with its own unique ideas like indie games

People went into a death spiral about sonys last showcase because it didn’t show enough bombastic AAA single player games. The sentiment people have for where the industry needs to go and how they spend their money is a direct contradiction

Last edited: