Religion/Spirituality what's with all the atheists on the coli?

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
Just a reminder that slaves were forced to attend Presbyterian church services with the slave owners, where there would be sermons underlining the necessity of slavery:

“Servants be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ.”
Paul Epistle to the Ephesians, 6:5

It was this kind of preaching that saw black membership of Presbyterian churches diminish drastically in the last decades of the 19th century.

Malcolm X and Nietzsche were both vocal about how Christianity was used to pacify the oppressed.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
Not in a mythology sense. I think the "gods" for some were either made up, or were from a previous highly advanced civilization who knew things that we can't even comprehend right now.

If you don't believe in any god, you are also an atheist

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
No, atheists don't believe in a single thing. I don't think we're an accident because the wind blew south one day. I just don't believe in the fairy tale that's the bible.

This is not true. Atheists believe a whole bunch of stuff... probably a lot of the same stuff you do. For example, I don't believe humanity or life on this planet happened by "accident" either ... it entirely depends on what you mean by that word. But, nevertheless, I am an atheist because I see no reason to accept god claims. The only qualification to be an atheist is to not accept claims that god(s) exists as true.

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought atheist meant you are not a theist? a theist is a believer in a personal caring god is it not ? therefore you can be an atheist and still believe in god. i dont but just saying

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
I thought atheist meant you are not a theist? a theist is a believer in a personal caring god is it not ? therefore you can be an atheist and still believe in god. i dont but just saying

No. Even if you believe in a creator god that doesn't care about what humans do you are still a theist. Atheists have no belief in gods.