When are we going to admit that Eddie Murphy is a Top 5 actor of all time??

DatNkkaCutty

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
@ PA
I can't see him bein Top 5 when he hasn't shown much range. He plays the same character in every movie, with different disguises....:manny: I'd argue Denzel does the same. That ngga definitely "phones it in" at this point. Maybe that's just by their choice at these points in their careers. They've been A-listers forever now.

Daps
I don't know about top five actor. Definitely top five comedian, maybe even just under Pryor. I haven't seen his whole movie catalog to give a full opinion but it looks like he mostly plays the comedic role in his films. Your top five looks ok but your forgetting people like De Niro, who has classics all over and even Dwayne Johnson been on an impressive run these past few years. You also didn't mention Will Smith, who while he hasn't been putting out as much hits lately, still has an impressive catalog. Eddie Murphy does have some good films and is a good actor but I wouldn't put him top five.

Who's dwayne johnson?:dwillhuh:

When i see that name, i think of "the rock". Surely, you don't mean him when talking about top 5 actors of all time, being in classic movies, having an impressive run and even being placed above Eddie.

Pryor is always overrated to me. It seems Black people like Pryor because ironically he was the first black comedian white people fully accepted :francis:

Then what was bill cosby?

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA

When i see that name, i think of "the rock". Surely, you don't mean him when talking about top 5 actors of all time, being in classic movies, having an impressive run and even being placed above Eddie.

No, I wouldn't put the rock as top five actors of all time but he has had a good run in his career. He's not top five and neither is Eddie Murphy.

SuperGrizzy

I'm strapped in! I'll clap you in a coma! Madness!
Daps
Pryor is always overrated to me. It seems Black people like Pryor because ironically he was the first black comedian white people fully accepted :francis:

I think Richard Pryor is a great comedian.
I'm not the biggest fan of his movies.
But I can listen to his comedy albums all day :blessed:

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

Bill Cosby was never fully accepted by white society. He just knew how to play the game the right way. Kevin Hart the same way

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I wouldn't even put Eddie Murphy as one of the top five black actors. Does he belong in the top five with actors like Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Don Cheadle, Forest Whitaker, Morgan Freeman, and even tho he was before our time, Sidney Poitier?

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Pryor was before my time and i grew up mostly on Chris Rock, who's third on my list. But he was the originator and did pave the way for Murphy and other comedians that came after him. I would say that Eddie Murphy "Raw" is the best stand up of all time. Highly recommended if anyone hasn't watched it. Delirious is good also.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Explain what "fully accepted by white society" means.

Meaning the term, "You can do no wrong in their eyes"

Pryor was a sub-par movie actor, had sex with trannys, burned himself up, did coke heavily which made him unreliable to work with, etc etc. And they STILL treat him like a God. That's the privilege only white actors would usually get. Another black star could have a speeding ticket or a missed child support payment and they would throw him in the mud. They're still making Pyor documentaries 20 yrs after his death praising him like he was a saint in human form

Bill Cosby was seen to white people as the "uppity negro". White's don't like that. They criticized him all the way from his cosby mysteries tv shows, to the Cosby Show saying "It was unrealistic and wouldn't last past 1 season". Cosby didn't care, he played the game to middle america and made millions off it, and they hate that shyt