When are we going to admit that Eddie Murphy is a Top 5 actor of all time??

Daps
Meaning the term, "You can do no wrong in their eyes"

Pryor was a sub-par movie actor, had sex with trannys, burned himself up, did coke heavily which made him unreliable to work with, etc etc. And they STILL treat him like a God. That's the privilege only white actors would usually get. Another black star could have a speeding ticket or a missed child support payment and they would throw him in the mud. They're still making Pyor documentaries 20 yrs after his death praising him like he was a saint in human form

Bill Cosby was seen to white people as the "uppity negro". White's don't like that. They criticized him all the way from his cosby mysteries tv shows, to the Cosby Show saying "It was unrealistic and wouldn't last past 1 season". Cosby didn't care, he played the game to middle america and made millions off it, and they hate that shyt
Bill cosby was the uppity negro?:what: What? The pitchman for all types of family products was seen as an uppity negro? But Pryor, who had Jim Brown as his manager at one time, retreated and exiled himself to Cali to educate himself on Black Power and Malcolm X, had discussions with the Black Panther Party and cameback on a pro-black steeze to shyt on whites to their face, shouted out and made the audience applaud for Huey P. Newton during his show, and renounced saying the N word was safe to white folks?:what: You're talking about being treated like God. Cosby wasn't?

The man was a leading actor on a tv series in the 60s in which he was an equal to a white man...in the 60s. White folks accepted him since then. Do you know how safe you had to have been seen in the 60s to be successful? To be on tv to entertain? Uppity?

He was a spokesperson in the 60s as well. I shouldn't have to explain the environment in the 60s and how corporations weren't exactly beating down the door for black entertainers to sell to their products to the masses of white folks. White Owl cigar sales went up after Cosby became its pitchman. You dont become a black pitchman in the 60s and 70s unless you are seen as safe to white society.

He also saved NBC in the 80s and had the no.1 show for 4 years. Do you know how many white people in america have to watch your show for it to be no.1? And for 4 years? A show about a successful and loving black family in racist ass america was the no.1 show for 4 years, yet white society didnt accept Cosby?

Pryor is my favorite comedian of all time and outside of the cosby show, bill was never that funny to me; but saying cosby was "never fully accepted by white society" and pryor "was the 1st to be" is silly. Why do you think Pryor started off as a cosby clone? To be accepted by black society?

You're confusing tv execs with the masses of white people.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Meaning the term, "You can do no wrong in their eyes"

Pryor was a sub-par movie actor, had sex with trannys, burned himself up, did coke heavily which made him unreliable to work with, etc etc. And they STILL treat him like a God. That's the privilege only white actors would usually get. Another black star could have a speeding ticket or a missed child support payment and they would throw him in the mud. They're still making Pyor documentaries 20 yrs after his death praising him like he was a saint in human form

Bill Cosby was seen to white people as the "uppity negro". White's don't like that. They criticized him all the way from his cosby mysteries tv shows, to the Cosby Show saying "It was unrealistic and wouldn't last past 1 season". Cosby didn't care, he played the game to middle america and made millions off it, and they hate that shyt
Middle America is white though

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Bill cosby was the uppity negro?:what: What? The pitchman for all types of family products was seen as an uppity negro? But Pryor, who had Jim Brown as his manager at one time, retreated and exiled himself to Cali to educate himself on Black Power and Malcolm X, had discussions with the Black Panther Party and cameback on a pro-black steeze to shyt on whites to their face, shouted out and made the audience applaud for Huey P. Newton during his show, and renounced saying the N word was safe to white folks?:what: You're talking about being treated like God. Cosby wasn't?

The man was a leading actor on a tv series in the 60s in which he was an equal to a white man...in the 60s. White folks accepted him since then. Do you know how safe you had to have been seen in the 60s to be successful? To be on tv to entertain? Uppity?

He was a spokesperson in the 60s as well. I shouldn't have to explain the environment in the 60s and how corporations weren't exactly beating down the door for black entertainers to sell to their products to the masses of white folks. White Owl cigar sales went up after Cosby became its pitchman. You dont become a black pitchman in the 60s and 70s unless you are seen as safe to white society.

He also saved NBC in the 80s and had the no.1 show for 4 years. Do you know how many white people in america have to watch your show for it to be no.1? And for 4 years? A show about a successful and loving black family in racist ass america was the no.1 show for 4 years, yet white society didnt accept Cosby?

Pryor is my favorite comedian of all time and outside of the cosby show, bill was never that funny to me; but saying cosby was "never fully accepted by white society" and pryor "was the 1st to be" is silly. Why do you think Pryor started off as a cosby clone? To be accepted by black society?

You're confusing tv execs with the masses of white people.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. TV execs and the media. Those are the people that matter

And you bringing up Cosby saving NBC further proves my point. He rain his TV show the way he wanted to. Had black producers, cameraman, black writers, and put the positive images and perception of the show to his liking. The execs hated him, but couldn't deny the numbers Cosby was bringing in

Fans are a secondary by product

LOL @ naming all the pro-black people Pryor was hanging out with. Who gives a fukk. Media promotes whoever, whether pro-black or not the fans would eat it up as long as it's promoted heavily. X Clan, Public Enemy, and Brand Nubian had a HUGE number of white fans. Execs and media control the narrative and promote who they want to promote, and the fans follow suit after that

Daps
Yeah that's what I'm talking about. TV execs and the media. Those are the people that matter

And you bringing up Cosby saving NBC further proves my point. He rain his TV show the way he wanted to. Had black producers, cameraman, black writers, and put the positive images and perception of the show to his liking. The execs hated him, but couldn't deny the numbers Cosby was bringing in

Fans are a secondary by product

LOL @ naming all the pro-black people Pryor was hanging out with. Who gives a fukk. Media promotes whoever, whether pro-black or not the fans would eat it up as long as it's promoted heavily. X Clan, Public Enemy, and Brand Nubian had a HUGE number of white fans. Execs and media control the narrative and promote who they want to promote, and the fans follow suit after that
You said white society, though, and are now backpedaling and narrowing it to tv execs and the media. Clearly, Cosby was the first black comedian accepted by white society.

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Will Smith though.

But I feel you OP. Eddie is underrated. Dreamgirls, Metro, Harlem Nights, Boomerang,Life, Dr Doo Little. He does have some decent range and his movie run was really long. He's a legend.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
If white people didn't like him but he succeeded massively by "playing to them" there's a falsehood somewhere...

I'll make it clearer. White execs and the white media (the people who matter), don't like him

White fans love him though

I replied to a post about Richard Pryor in that the white execs and media adore him, and never let his image become tarnished

If you're cool with just the fans, you may or may not have a sustaining career. If you're cool with the execs and media, you'll eat forever

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
You said white society, though, and are now backpedaling and narrowing it to tv execs and the media. Clearly, Cosby was the first black comedian accepted by white society.

So explaining what I meant I'm backpedaling. If you want to skim my posts and not read clearly just so you can spark a debate, that's on you

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I'll make it clearer. White execs and the white media (the people who matter), don't like him

White fans love him though

I replied to a post about Richard Pryor in that the white execs and media adore him, and never let his image become tarnished

If you're cool with just the fans, you may or may not have a sustaining career. If you're cool with the execs and media, you'll eat forever
I hear you but TV execs are probably like 1000 people. THOSE white people didn't like him.

Daps
So explaining what I meant I'm backpedaling. If you want to skim my posts and not read clearly just so you can spark a debate, that's on you

You explained how you think cosby rubbed white tv execs and the media the wrong way, not white society, which is the term you first used.

If you want to use terms incorrectly and redefine them to make a point you think you have, that is on you.

You backpedaled when you defined "white society" as "tv execs and media" after I told you, you are confusing the two.