When Did Ye Surpass Jay ?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dumb thread.

For starters, Kanye's solo career took off during the run of Jay's "last album". At the time Jay was seven years removed from his debut and had already peaked. By the time Jay made another album, music had changed drastically and Jay was still huge, but at this point, he wasn't targeting the college crowd and younger. His audience was older.

Jay never had these huge #1 smashes, so I don't know why that's a metric as Flo-Rida and Pitbull have bigger singles than both.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man it’s hard to pinpoint. Around 2007-2010 for sure.

Jay has never came close to doing Graduation numbers. EVER.

Jay didn’t have a number 1 single til New York Ye had gold digger but Graduation had Stronger (1), Good Life (7), Can’t tell me nothing (47)

Then BP3 dropped it sold but it wasn’t good and Ye’s Run this town verse was getting mad hyped and that sold it for me sure that he was more popular

I remember vividly how Jay was crying in interviews about how everyone was saying Kanye had the better verse and Ye was getting props as the best rapper best rap artist out at the time.

Last edited:

DontEemTry

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bizarre question. Kanye became a hipster favorite and it was a wrap by the time Graduation dropped. He went beyond hip-hop at that point.

Now we're at the point where Kanye has become more of an amusement park spectacle.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jay has never came close to doing Graduation numbers. EVER.

Jay didn’t have a number 1 single til New York Ye had gold digger but Graduation had Stronger (1), Good Life (7), Can’t tell me nothing (47)

Then BP3 dropped it sold but it wasn’t good and Ye’s Run this town verse sold it for sure.

I remember vividly how Jay was crying in interviews about how everyone was saying Kanye had the better verse and Ye was getting props as the best rapper best rap artist out at the time.

Breh, regardless if Kanye sold nearly a 1 million in one week with Graduation and Late Registration, Vol. 2 still sold more than any Kanye album without having a #1 single back when CD's cost like $17.99. There wasn't an iTunes store to download an album for $9.99 that counted towards sales. There was NO streaming.

Kanye's "Run This Town" verse sold BP3? Please stop with the hot takes.

And post the article where Jay was crying about Kanye having a better verse.

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
I prefer Jay over Kanye. Right now he looks dumb with all of this drama he’s trying to stir up, it’s because his music is trash now and it’s been trash for close to a decade.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Breh, regardless if Kanye sold nearly a 1 million in one week with Graduation and Late Registration, Vol. 2 still sold more than any Kanye album without having a #1 single back when CD's cost like $17.99. There wasn't an iTunes store to download an album for $9.99 that counted towards sales. There was NO streaming.

Kanye's "Run This Town" verse sold BP3? Please stop with the hot takes.

And post the article where Jay was crying about Kanye having a better verse.

Man if you don’t get the fukk on.

“BP3 sold but Ye verse sold it as in Ye was more popular at the time for the hype it was getting”

you’re on a device that has the internet search it.

You do realize Ye still sold a million during a time when people pirating music are the highest rate ever? Also while Dominating the charts? During that time of graduation yeah Ye was more popular.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man if you don’t get the fukk on.

“BP3 sold but Ye verse sold it as in Ye was more popular at the time for the hype it was getting”

you’re on a device that has the internet search it.

You do realize Ye still sold a million during a time when people pirating music are the highest rate ever? Also while
Dominating the charts?

Kanye didn't even have anything to do with the biggest song on BP3. He was featured on and produced one of the singles.

YOU said Jay was crying over people favoring Kanye's verse on "Run This Town". It's on you to produce the receipts.

Kanye sold a million in one week and only went 2X platinum until streaming. Artists who sold a million or more in week one in the 90's and even the early '00's were going DIAMOND. Get Rich or Die Tryin' was heavily bootlegged and it nearly went diamond selling almost a million. Eminem was doing 2 million copies in a week and going diamond. Nelly went diamond without even selling a million in a week.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Kanye didn't even have anything to do with the biggest song on BP3. He was featured on and produced one of the singles.

Kanye sold a million in one week and only went 2X platinum until streaming. Artists who sold a million or more in week one in the 90's and even the early '00's were going DIAMOND. Get Rich or Die Tryin' was heavily bootlegged and it nearly went diamond selling almost a million. Eminem was doing 2 million copies in a week and going diamond. Nelly went diamond without even selling a million in a week.

all of that has absolutely nothing to do with Ye and Hov who we are talking about in 2007-2010 when pirating and bootlegs was legit at its highest.

Ye was literally a cross genre rapper at the time and had all media outlets riding his dikk.

Op asked when do you think Ye became more popular to Hov? Not anybody else. Not Nelly or 50. Not how you feel about Ye in 2022 but a specific timeframe for two specific rappers and I said 2007-2010 which during that time Ye sold more albums and had more charting singles than Hov.

All this straw man and gish gallop you’ve done didn’t answer OP topic at all. But go on and cook

Last edited: