When has it ever become legal to shoot someone because they’re pulling off in your car?

Was it justified?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

j.smooth4

All Star
Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
6d11ef0d3fdde21c152a154f7b2053e1

Janique Walker knows the cost of a split second.

Her younger brother, 17-year-old Charles Macklin, was killed while trying to steal a Jeep from a Chicago fire lieutenant on the West Side last August. The lieutenant had left the Jeep running, and Macklin jumped behind the wheel.

The lieutenant ran in front of the Jeep and shouted, “Get out,” according to a police report. When Macklin began pulling away, the lieutenant drew his gun and fired through the open driver’s side window, hitting the teen in the chest.

Macklin’s last words were, “Sorry, bro,” according to the police report. The teen died on the pavement. He did not have a gun on him.

Walker, 20, has organized protests, started a Facebook page and launched a hashtag on Twitter. She says she hasn’t given up hope of getting justice for her brother.

She believes her brother was found guilty by one man with a gun. Walker said her brother should be alive to stand before a judge and take responsibility for his actions.

“When has it ever become legal to shoot someone because they’re pulling off in your car?” she asked. “Even if (Macklin) did that, if he did steal the car. You’ve got insurance — let him go to jail. I would’ve rather had to get a call to go bail him out of jail than to get a phone call that he’s dead.”

Walker organized a protest where her brother was killed. As they marched, she said she was approached by more than one person who said they witnessed the shooting. One woman said she saw Macklin lying on the pavement, struggling to breathe.

“She’s traumatized about it,” Walker said. “I get that. I couldn’t imagine watching a little boy dying in front of me either.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...led-carry-shooting-victim-20180523-story.html

Do you think the shooting was justified vote yes or no?

My personal opinion is its sad the kid died but live by the sword die by the sword if your going to carjack you have to realize the consequences. Hopefully the next kid will see this and think twice before carjacking someone.

Daps
i think the factual basis for claiming legal self defense is "The lieutenant ran in front of the Jeep"... if you are in front of a car that is pulling forward then i assume he can say "i was in fear of my life because he was going to hit me". On the other hand, if you are in fear of your life, you dont go and stand in front of a moving vehicle and stop a crime in progress. and it says he shot through the side window so it seems as he was more so on the side and out of harms way. thus, i dont think its legal because you can't kill someone over property or out of anger.

Cops do this shyt too often but they dont get away with it all the time
Police shooting of Texas teen in moving car violated federal guidance

note that im speakin from a legal perspective, not whether or not he took the risk of some crazy reaction. yeah he did take the risk of a confrontation but the result isn't legal

Last edited:

BlackPrint

The Mayor
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I hate that the white man has turned most Black people into rabid authoritarians that think taking a life for stealing a car is perfectly reasonable.

If little dude poses no threat, doesn’t have a weapon and is trying to escape, he shouldn’t be killed.

Daps
This is the wrong dude to be fighting for

i dont think people are fighting for "persons"... we are fighting to be treated fairly under the rights given to us as citizens. the law say you have a right to a due process if you are charged with a crime, the law also says you can not kill someone over property or out of anger. so that is the point.