When/why did it become cool to be the dope fiend in rap?

Hannibal Fox

Eetwidomayloh
Daps
Reppin
Death To Spookism
Outside of crack and H doing drugs was always a thing.

You did at one point have these fake ass mafia rappers trying to give off that "don't get high on your own supply" but that was bullshyt

Don't get me wrong I've heard a million odd verses that mention drug use, however comparing what went before to now would be crazy, it's some druggie type shyt right now.

Sipping cough syrup like a fukking vagrant is not cool at all, what next dudes gonna start rapping about sniffing gorilla glue?

Not saying your down with this shyt of course.

BruhMayne

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Lil Wayne set that trend off

Honestly Wayne set off alotta trends when he was at his peak famous wise

Before 2007-08 Wayne it was, "nikka I aint popping no pills :what:, I aint dressing like a white boy:camby:, fukk no I aint go down on that girl I just met her :martin:"

After 2007-08 Wayne it was, "I'm rolling :takedat:, Black clothes designers? :mjlol:, hell yea I ate the p*ssy :jawalrus:"

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Damn breh...you taking it back to the 80s on us?:dwillhuh:
Just trying to show yall the progression. In the 80s nikkas bragged about not smoking weed. In the 90s nikkas bragged about it. In the 2000s nikkas started bragging about pills and lean. Now nikkas brag about everything
:yeshrug:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Always been cool
:snoop:
She's talking about dope fiends breh :martin:
People who smoke weed have never been referred to as dope fiends.
Show me these examples from the 80s/90s about rappers bragging about being addicted to crack or heroin or some drug other than weed/alcohol :jbhmm:
I'll spot you Cash Money - I'm not familar with their catalog at all - but I've heard others on here say that they used to rhyme about using heroin.
First time I remember is the X wave in 2000-2002. And sipping on some sizzur by 36 UGK. Which i think was 2000?

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
nikkas been rapping bout lean and Molly for a minute. Who made it "cool" might have to say Wayne.
Only houston and memphis rappers were on that lean shyt...oh, and a few philly cats.
WHITEBOYS were rapping about hella drugs. Nobody else was unless it was talking about selling them...and rappers didn't start calling X molly until 2009. Stfu, kid.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
:snoop:
She's talking about dope fiends breh :martin:
People who smoke weed have never been referred to as dope fiends.
Show me these examples from the 80s/90s about rappers bragging about being addicted to crack or heroin or some drug other than weed/alcohol :jbhmm:
I'll spot you Cash Money - I'm not familar with their catalog at all - but I've heard others on here say that they used to rhyme about using heroin.
First time I remember is the X wave in 2000-2002. And sipping on some sizzur by 36 UGK. Which i think was 2000?
exactly, and even then, it was limited in scope. the shyt has proliferated every level of urban music now and is literally all over every club/radio song. nikkas turning into zombies, as if we don't have enough issues

fukkyalifestyle

Superstar
Daps
man, no it wasn't. being a weedhead was ok, errything else they dabbled in (aside from houston nikkas) wasn't promoted in every damn song on an album. dope fiends got the business on tracks, even dust heads like the wu was slick in how they slid in references. now all these young cats revel is ingesting every substance that can possibly provide a buzz in damn near every song...being a drug addict aint cool :mjcry:
Lot of the older dudes were drug addicts on the low, whether they talked about it or rapped about it or not. RIP Sean Price but homey had a habit, Rakim, Wutang rapped about smoking coke blunts. Back then it wasn't cool to do it just an escape from reality. Besides when crack and coke first hit it was the norm at first and alot of people did it.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Lot of the older dudes were drug addicts on the low, whether they talked about it or rapped about it or not. RIP Sean Price but homey had a habit, Rakim, Wutang rapped about smoking coke blunts. Back then it wasn't cool to do it just an escape from reality.
yea, but most didn't promote this shyt. you got future singing "i took lsd for the first time i feel great"...the hell. i don't know, i'm not gonna grandstand like i haven't tried some shyt, but i don't promote using drugs and i certainly don't promote doing that shyt on a regular.

Big Daddy

Fight or die fighting, no surrender.
Daps
This is one of hip hop's many ills that I can honestly say isn't the "younger generation's fault".

This sh!t dates back to the early-mid 80s. THAT was the era when doing ANY type of drug was frowned upon in rap.

Weed was routinely clowned, alcohol was semi clowned, and ALL hard drugs were absolutely abhorred.

It was nothing to listen to raps back then and constantly hear a rapper talking sh!t about the n!gga in class high off weed, etc etc.

And that was the norm, that was what was "cool" - to be sober and clear headed.

Then, somewhere in the early 90s (OP must be a baby talking about the dope talk started in the early 00's lol), drugs became something to BRAG about.

If you ask me, I think the crack epidemic and the money that hood n!ggas made off of it speared this whole glorification of drugs. Many of those same cats became rappers and that's what they rapped about... or.. they inspired rappers who grew up next to the drug dealers to rap about.glorify it.

JohnStarksMiddleFinger

Benz L. Bo$$ington
Daps
Reppin
North Carolina
About NOT smoking weed? Who? Will Smith?

About NOT smoking weed? Who? Will Smith?

You guys forgot about that famous Dre Verse?

"yo I don't smoke weed or sess
Cause it's known to give a brother brain damage
And brain damage on the mic don't manage nothing
But making a sucker and you equal, don't be another sequel"

Couth

I gave her D she got mad
Daps
Taking drugs =/= being an addict.

90s rappers did rap about doing lean, molly, coke, and sherm.

i think current rap has just evolved to reflect the mindset of this younger generation. i wasn't around in the 90s but i don't think pills were really popular back then.

But when i was coming up in the mid to late 2000s pills were getting passed around like candy.