When/why did it become cool to be the dope fiend in rap?

fukkyalifestyle

Superstar
Daps
yea, but most didn't promote this shyt. you got future singing "i took lsd for the first time i feel great"...the hell. i don't know, i'm not gonna grandstand like i haven't tried some shyt, but i don't promote using drugs and i certainly don't promote doing that shyt on a regular.
yea im saying the same thing basically. back then people dabbled but it wasn't neccsarily the cool thing to do. today peopl brag about it and its the cool thing to do. rappers been rapping about doing drugs tho and im tellin you lot of them were addicts on the low. the difference was it was on the low.

JMill782

All Star
Daps
Wayne did make being druggie popular/mainstream but at the same time, back in the early/mid 00's nikkas from Texas were rapping about Lean. and it's true a lot of the older dudes in rap were druggies

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
This is one of hip hop's many ills that I can honestly say isn't the "younger generation's fault".

This sh!t dates back to the early-mid 80s. THAT was the era when doing ANY type of drug was frowned upon in rap.

Weed was routinely clowned, alcohol was semi clowned, and ALL hard drugs were absolutely abhorred.

It was nothing to listen to raps back then and constantly hear a rapper talking sh!t about the n!gga in class high off weed, etc etc.

And that was the norm, that was what was "cool" - to be sober and clear headed.

Then, somewhere in the early 90s (OP must be a baby talking about the dope talk started in the early 00's lol), drugs became something to BRAG about.

If you ask me, I think the crack epidemic and the money that hood n!ggas made off of it speared this whole glorification of drugs. Many of those same cats became rappers and that's what they rapped about... or.. they inspired rappers who grew up next to the drug dealers to rap about.glorify it.
you need to re-read my post, the 90's nikkas were not bragging about USING drugs, i admitted they talked about serving d. and yes, that inspired the next wave of dealers, but outside of weed, cats were not OD bragging about USING drugs on the level they are now (in the 00's you started to hear x and lean mentioned, but it was a limited set of rappers)

Last edited:

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
X wave in 2002-2003? Dr Dre had a ton of references to it in 1999. Eminem had a lot of drug use and promotion of shyt like 'Purple Pills' somewhere in that time frame as well. It was long before that for sure.

Wu Tang openly rapped about getting 'dusted' in a non negative light and they would be the first I could remember really glorifying the use of non-weed/alcohol. There was a lot of people prior to that rapping about weed and alcohol of course. All the rest I don't remember people talking about until Wu Tang with the PCP heavy.

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
for me what didnt it was brotha lynch/x raided.

RichYung

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Only houston and memphis rappers were on that lean shyt...oh, and a few philly cats.
WHITEBOYS were rapping about hella drugs. Nobody else was unless it was talking about selling them...and rappers didn't start calling X molly until 2009. Stfu, kid.
nikka then THATS who I'm talking about. Heard sigel rapping it for YEARS. Who gives a fukk X/molly same shyt. nikkas been talking bout it. So YOU stfu. nikkas been on records talkin bout lacing their weed and all that. fukk you mean?