Where did the gold teeth trend start?

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I remember back in the mid 90's when my older brother bought fronts. The had his name in them shyts. Where did this fad start? I remember the west indian heads my bro rolled with had them heavy. Anyone have an idea? @BmoreGorilla @BrothaZay

Nameischosen

Banned
Daps
Southern and not on some hip hop shyt either. My great grand mother had a gold tooth and my grandmother.(my moms is 70 so think about how far that goes) and I'm sure it goes back further than my great grandmother. I heard they used it as a store of wealth when things really got hard, harder to steal money out someone mouth.

Neuromancer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Southern and not on some hip hop shyt either. My great grand mother had a gold tooth and my grandmother.(my moms is 70 so think about how far that goes) and I'm sure it goes back further than my great grandmother. I heard they used it as a store of wealth when things really got hard, harder to steal money out someone mouth.
Store of wealth you mean like melted gold?

Nameischosen

Banned
Daps
Store of wealth you mean like melted gold?
Gold has monetary value based on weight and purity. Look at gold teeth as a savings account that not anybody can steal from(its in your mouth). When things got rough they would use that as their last resort. It's like when people pawn their weddings bands as the last resort.

Neuromancer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Gold has monetary value based on weight and purity. Look at gold teeth as a savings account that not anybody can steal from(its in your mouth). When things got rough they would use that as their last resort. It's like when people pawn their weddings bands as the last resort.
Im sure nikkas could get a pair of pliers if they were that desperate, but I see your point.

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
Im sure nikkas could get a pair of pliers if they were that desperate, but I see your point.
I don't think it was about holding wealth for a last minute type thing. My mom was paid when she got them, it was strictly to floss on haters like buying a S550. She was never in a situation where pulling her teeth for cash was even an option. It was just stunting imo

Neuromancer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I don't think it was about holding wealth for a last minute type thing. My mom was paid when she got them, it was strictly to floss on haters like buying a S550. She was never in a situation where pulling her teeth for cash was even an option. It was just stunting imo
What ma dukes used to do? I know how my brother got the money to get them.:mjpls: