Which Safety are you taking in their prime?

Which Safety are you taking in their prime?

• Total voters

Dem313wayz

Superstar
Daps
I vted for reed but Polamalu with 0 votes is crazy

I had to go back at his highlights :whew:

Man it really was 1a and 1b btw Ed and Troy.

I forgot about his performance in the AFC Championship game and the pick 6 to end the game against the Ravens.

2010 Defensive Player of the Year.

Dude was special. Those Steelers Ravens games were great. 2 teams that were exactly identical

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
I wish more ppl got to see prime B. Dawk...he revolutionized the S position :wow:

He was interchangeable as a FS and SS

He could cover the slot, deep middle, play man against TEs

He was a 4th LB in the box...and he could rush the passer (RIP Jim Johnson)

He was a feared hitter

He's arguably the most versatile S in the history of the game

You're talking about a S who impacted the pass rush, run def & coverage...and was a plus in every area
Yea BDawk is probably going be a distant 3rd in this poll but he might be the best overall option frfr

B1G_controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
In how many more seasons did he accumulate those stats?

I'm a Giants fan, the entire NFC East fanbase respects BD. Just asking a question.

Look at the disparity...he's killing him in tackles, forced fumbles, and sacks even with the variance in yrs played

Ed was better in coverage but playing S is more than excelling in coverage...B Dawk did it all

BigE214

Future GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Groveside, TX
Darren Woodson Career Stats

12 sacks
23 Ints

967 tackles
12 FFs
36 PD

Brian Dawkins Career Stats

26 sacks
37 Ints

1147 tackles
36 FFs
153 PD

Are you crazy :mjlol:

B. Dawk had 153 passes defensed along with 37 Ints...for reference, Revis had 36 career Ints and 139 passes defensed

B. Dawk was the first complete S the league ever saw...based off his coverage work, run support work & pass rushing work...it ain't close really
Bro Woody play the nickel, covered TEs and played FS and SS too depending on packages. Won Superbowls too. Roy Williams fell off a cliff once Woody retired. You making like Dawkins revolutionized the position and he didn’t. But it’s cool to show the home team player some love

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
Palomalu played a different position than the other two.

Free Safety != Strong Safety

I ain't voting.

Brian Dawkins was one of the reasons why I started watching football.

Aditionally, Rodney Harrison is so underrated it's not funny. Everyone wants to say Ty Law, but Rodney Harrison was really as much Peyton Manning's defensive rival in those Pats vs Colts match-ups. Everybody on the opposing offense was worried where Rodney Harrison was. Additionally, 12 tackles, 2 interceptions and 1 sack in a single Super Bowl game is crazy.

Last edited:

B1G_controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Bro Woody play the nickel, covered TEs and played FS and SS too depending on packages. Won Superbowls too. Roy Williams fell off a cliff once Woody retired. You making like Dawkins revolutionized the position and he didn’t. But it’s cool to show the home team player some love

B. Dawk was a much better player than "Woody" and he (B. Dawk) was the one who revolutionized the position..by his second season we understood we had a HOFer on our hands...Dawkins had way more responsibilities than "Woody" and he was a much better player, to be frank, they aren't in the same league

broller

Veteran
Daps
Palomalu played a different position than the other two.

Free Safety != Strong Safety

I ain't voting.

Brian Dawkins was one of the reasons why I started watching football.

Aditionally, Rodney Harrison is so underrated it's not funny. Everyone wants to say Ty Law, but Rodney Harrison was really Peyton Manning's defensive rival in those Pats vs Colts match-ups. Additionally, 12 tackles, 2 interceptions and 1 sack in a single Super Bowl game is crazy.

I agree Rodney. Is underrated. The drop off in the Patriots defense when he was injured was quite palpable. I don't think the Patriots lose to the Colts in the 2006 AFC championship if Harrison were playing

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
I agree Rodney. Is underrated. The drop off in the Patriots defense when he was injured was quite palpable. I don't think the Patriots lose to the Colts in the 2006 AFC championship if Harrison were playing
Yup. Dude was a whole other level. When you got somebody this sharp on the defense, that's basically irreplaceable.

PRE-SNAP: LOOKING FOR TELLS

Harrison's most basic job was determining run or pass, and he scanned the offense for clues. He started with the offensive linemen, who have a hard time hiding their intentions. If their forearms were flexed, that meant run. If their rear ends were high, that meant pass.

"I'm not just studying the receivers. I'm studying No. 64, too," Harrison said. "If his butt is low and his forearms are blasting, he's coming for Bruschi, it's a freaking run. Let's come and get it."

Next he'd watch the quarterback.

From former teammate Junior Seau, he learned that some QBs either licked their fingers or patted their right hands on their butts before a run. From experience he knew that if the QB didn't scan the secondary, that meant run, too.

"Even (Tom) Brady, when I first got there, he used to come to the line of scrimmage and if he didn't look up at me at the safety, I knew it was run all day," Harrison said. "And to this day I can still watch tape and I can look, if a quarterback comes up, I can tell run or pass just based off of is he scanning the field, looking at the safeties, trying to figure out what coverage guys are in, or is he just going to come up, take a quick glance and then all of a sudden hike the ball and hand it off."

Harrison paid close attention to the running back. One grinding his mouthpiece and gritting his teeth looked ready to take a handoff. One with his head up searching for potential blitzers told Harrison to expect a pass.

Some runners telegraphed more than they realized.

"When we played against Buffalo, Travis Henry would stare left or right," Harrison said. "When a running back stares to one side, he's telling you where he's going. And he wasn't the only one guilty of it. I played against a lot of great ones who did. Ricky Watters took a look. All these dudes, they look. They're anxious. Ezekiel Elliott does it. Saquon Barkley does a good job, he'll look to the left and right. Christian McCaffrey does a good job, too. Some running backs get so caught up in their assignment, it just happens."

Armed with this knowledge, Harrison could fly to the ball. He recorded at least 100 tackles seven times between 1996 and 2004, and he's one of only two players with at least 30 sacks and 30 interceptions, alongside Baltimore Hall of Famer Ray Lewis.

"The instincts, the smarts, that's the thing that really separates the good safeties from the great ones," he said.

Definitely a reason why the guy is doing commentary for NBC. Look how the guy speaks additionally, no slurring, no stuttering, etc. mind is still sharp af.

broller

Veteran
Daps
Yup. Dude was a whole other level. When you got somebody this sharp on the defense, that's basically irreplaceable.

Definitely a reason why the guy is doing commentary for NBC. Look how the guy speaks additionally, no slurring, no stuttering, etc. mind is still sharp af.
I wonder about what makes some guys able to speak well post career while others get CTE.