Which show is the most timeless: South Park, The Simpsons or Spongebob?

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
The Simpsons will always be the most timeless, regardless of it not being what it was back in the 90s. It's not even fair to compare it to other shows like that. It influenced adult animation for good and ended up having an influence on live-action shows too. A lot of the shows that have popped up over the years wouldn't be what they are without that Simpsons influence.

I don’t know why people in here downplaying Spongebob’s impact/the character and show being iconic. It deserves credit because there’s like a new spongebob meme every week...from episodes 10-15 years old:mindblown:

I’m not saying it’s the most timeless but a lot of cats in here just:flabbynsick: and hating

Seconded. SpongeBob is one of the greatest kids shows of all-time. The first three seasons aged like fine wine. You don't realize it until you get older but there were a lot of jokes in there that not even certain adults would understand. Like "we're just a clever visual metaphor used to personify the abstract concept of thought." :russ: In its prime, the show knew how to appeal to everybody. Even in 2019, they can still come out with a really good episode. It's gotten a lot better since the second movie came out. :ehh:

Most people who don't like the show either didn't grow up with it or mostly associate it with the bad episodes so their perspective is off.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
The Simpsons will always be the most timeless, regardless of it not being what it was back in the 90s. It's not even fair to compare it to other shows like that. It influenced adult animation for good and ended up having an influence on live-action shows too. A lot of the shows that have popped up over the years wouldn't be what they are without that Simpsons influence.

Seconded. SpongeBob is one of the greatest kids shows of all-time. The first three seasons aged like fine wine. You don't realize it until you get older but there were a lot of jokes in there that not even certain adults would understand. Like "we're just a clever visual metaphor used to personify the abstract concept of thought." :russ: In its prime, the show knew how to appeal to everybody. Even in 2019, they can still come out with a really good episode. It's gotten a lot better since the second movie came out. :ehh:

Most people who don't like the show either didn't grow up with it or mostly associate it with the bad episodes so their perspective is off.
Exactly, that’s why it’s still culturally relevant because the first few seasons were gold. And yeah I remembered another joke that I didn’t realize until now from when the episode Patrick’s parents came over and he wanted to look smart so he told spongebob to act dumb:russ:

It is a mystery

Tory Lanez Stan
Daps
It really depends on age demographic

Younger generations DGAF about the simpsons. They respect it and know a little bit but its vinyl record status to them

Likewise, older generations dont care about anything EXCEPT the simpsons. They likely never even seen spongebob or really took it in

Sout Park is kind of in the middle

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
It’s not SpongeBob. Because it definitely belongs there.

I see your point. I'll give you that now. I don't know if it's an age thing or how each show was presented or what. The Simpson's debut I was a toddler but it was something I was used to growing up cuz of the cartoon plus all the toys, video games, etc. Then I was 12 the year South Park debuted and that had more of an adult theme. By the time Spongebob came around I was about 14 and I think it felt more like a kiddie show so I didn't really embrace it or tune in much to it. Rocket Power started around the same time and I leaned towards that cuz it had teenagers. Not sure if that's common for most people regarding to relating more to characters or shows towards their age group but I definitely felt it. Shows that had kids/teens in it appealed to me more when I was a kid. Versus shows more adult based when I became an adult.

BulletProof

Just a B@stard Living in a Suit
Daps
Reppin
Neck ties and boxing gloves.
All classics for sure.

Timeless might not be the right term.

The Simpsons is very much a product of the 90s. Its also when it was at its creative peak. That means the vast majority of its episodes have come out for three decades after it was at its best.

South Park, to me, maintained more relevancy over the years by adapting through covering topical issues. Ironically, that almost instantly dates the episode.

I think Spongebob is the odd man out here. The only thing the three all have in common is that they're all cartoons. Im assuming its mentioned here because of the threadstarter's personal tastes and age.

There were a large amount of the Simpsons/South Park viewers who were adults before either were created. Spongebob was a legit children's show. I would think people who were adults when it first aired got into it because of their kids.

Or I would hope.

And like someone else here mentioned, the internet has keep it living past its lifespan. You can subsititue a number of those Nicktoons in its place off of content.

Jasonmask

Superstar
Daps
I ran through SP and the Simpsons for like a few months this year. SP is funny af like writing and characters are brilliant. But The simpsons just has this higher quality of comedy w all of the nuance and hidden things within the background. Even some of the early 2000s although a drop off had its moments. This clip has been stuck in my head, and it’s not even that funny but I be howling at this from time to time