Who was that breh that kept saying...

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
...that console gaming was dying? :russ: @Prodigal Syndicate wasn't it?:patrice:

PS4 is on track to hit one milly sold through by the start of next year, and it has currently outsold the PS2 in the same four year time period. :wow:

Total PS4 sales have reached 73.6 million units and 5.9 million consoles were sold during the 2017 holiday season, Sony has announced.

In addition, Sony announced that more than 55.9 million PlayStation 4 games were sold during the 2017 holiday season in retail stores globally and digitally. In total, up to 645 million PS4 game copies have been sold as of December 31, 2017.

The PlayStation 4 was released by the end of 2013. For reference, Sony’s best-selling PlayStation console to date, the PS2, managed to sell through approximately 71.3 million units after being on the market for four years. As of March 2012, 155 million PS2 units have been sold.

PS4 Sales Reach 73.6 Million Globally; 5.9 Million Units Sold Through During 2017 Holiday Season

Meanwhile, Nintendo also out here killing it. shyt has already outsold the Wii U in Japan... :pachaha:

Well, according to Famitsu the first-year sales of the Switch are now at 3,407,158 units sold and that exceeds the lifetime sales of the Wii U, which only managed to shift 3,301,555 units during its lifespan in Japan.

The Nintendo Switch Has Already Beaten The Lifetime Sales Of The Wii U In Japan

And Nintendo expects to hit 20 mill next year. :whew:

In an interview with Kyoto Shimbun - as translated by wccftech - Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima revealed that the company expects to sell an additional 20 million Nintendo Switches during the 2018 fiscal year. Kimishima stated that this ambitious projection is based on the fact that the Switch's sales figures thus far have exceeded all of the company's expectations.

Nintendo Switch: firm expects to sell 20 million units in 2018

Salute to all the PS4 supporters @Rekkapryde @Fatboi1 @Mowgli @TheMaster @cfountain @Cladyclad @GoldenGlove and the Switch supporters @MewTwo @the_FUTURE @firemanBk @Ghostwriter @Dre Space Age @Kingshango @nikkahs B. Wildin for helping keep console gaming alive and kicking well into the 21st century. :myman::salute:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That console gaming is dying narrative was based off the Xbox one selling poorly compared to the ps4 and the Wii u flopping.
Cats kept saying the PS4 sales was all front loaded which is bullshyt by now. We're 4 years ahead now c'mon. Sony I heard makes way more revenue thanks to PSN.

Sorry, pundits: Here’s why video game consoles aren’t dying but actually thriving

PSN plus supposedly the PS4 wasn't being sold at a loss means Sony's Playstation division must be making mountains of money. :picard:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
That console gaming is dying narrative was based off the Xbox one selling poorly compared to the ps4 and the Wii u flopping.
Cats kept saying the PS4 sales was all front loaded which is bullshyt by now. We're 4 years ahead now c'mon. Sony I heard makes way more revenue thanks to PSN.

Sorry, pundits: Here’s why video game consoles aren’t dying but actually thriving
No it wasn't.

That shyt started well before X1 or PS4 were even a thing.

I remember people speculating that there wouldn't even be a PS4 or X1, just streaming services.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They will be around for about a decade or so in terms of smaller games and services being released, but major development will be shifting soon. There is little to no doubt about that now.

So I have been looking at this amazon fire tv console and yeah, amazon has just stepped it up to a level that Apple and others will start beefing up the specs at an even faster pace. I expect one of the major competitors to strike back with a similar quad core + dedicated gpu + 3-4GB ram in a few months and the addition of an SDXC slot.

That's right in about a 3 year window. those micro consoles are going to be more powerful than what is inside your xbox one or ps4. We will enter an era in which it will be those micro consoles + the PC for gaming. I think the PS Vita should be Sony's last handheld and Nintendo will probably crank out some crazy hybrid device to keep their franchises going.

I think Microsoft and Sony pretty much know this already and probably thinking of what to do with their next generation of "consoles" to keep the brands alive and well.

Phones will be more powerful than the consoles in 5 years.

Calling it now, these traditional consoles will start winding down by late 2016

Yet another stunningly accurate @LÍQUIDO prediction. 'Tradtional consoles' winding down by end of 2016. :russ:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Calling it now, these traditional consoles will start winding down by late 2016

Yet another stunningly accurate @LÍQUIDO prediction. 'Tradtional consoles' winding down by end of 2016. :russ:
:popcorn3:

The advent of the PS4 Pro and XB1X changed that. Imo, the PS4 Pro was a mid gen refresh that blurs the line between gens but I think PS5 will be BC and thus PS4 will still get software for a few more years while PS5 will probably be a PS4 Pro+ type console where it can play every PS4 title and major titles will get PS5 patches? Idk.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
a major company just released a console that is also a portable device :sas2:

• Dap
Reactions: PS4

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
both consoles needed a significant mid-gen update, which isn't really part of the "traditional console" cycle
Wouldn't say they "needed" them.

Even with the mid-gen updates on the market the OG consoles are selling better than a lot of people said they would.