Why aren’t Black men more represented in the present day pop/rock scene?

Apprentice

everybody in the world needa lul tim
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I wouldn’t describe myself as a music historian but I do have a pretty expansive taste of music

One thing I’ve noticed is that there aren’t a lot of black men who operate in the modern day pop/rock scene.

Rock and Jazz are genres created by black people and even the “King of Rock” is someone who got lots of his style and influence from black culture

Back in the 80s there were many to choose from such as MJ, Hendrix, Prince etc.

In modern day music, I’d say Bruno Mars, The Weeknd, and Anderson Paak (more or less)

Would be the best example, I don’t feel like I’m mis-categorizing the past but I’d like to hear wat y’all think

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
cover2.jpg

May 2022^
Tosin Abasi
qq1azcz92dv51.jpg

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Gary Clark Jr is still doing his thing.

Might be at an all time low though. In the mid 00s there were bands with black dudes in prominent roles, from Bloc Party to TV On the Radio to Sevendust. I'm probably missing someone but I can't think of any noteworthy rock bands right now with black male members. Overall Gary Clark Jr and the lead singer of Alabama Shakes (black woman) are the only black rock stars I can think of.

Also...seems like rock is pretty much dead no? In terms of new bands. Growing up it seemed like there was always a band that became "the band." From grunge to the British bands of the 90s/00s to nu metal to the garage rock explosion to the indie rock Pitchfork darling bands, there was always "the band" right? I couldn't tell you who "the band" is now. I see the Foo Fighters are still popular and bands like Radiohead are still active but who is the band pushing the envelope or blowing up right now whether they're good or bad. I couldn't tell you.

Apprentice

everybody in the world needa lul tim
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Because a breh doing it is considered “white” or “gay” or “corny”. They are also called a “sellout” if they deviate from their usual sound into Pop or Rock (see: The Weeknd).
Labels also don’t want to invest in Black male artists who aren’t doing R&B, Afrobeats or Hip-Hop/Drill/Grime unless they were established. They would rather have white artists be the face of the pop or rock genres.

You have got brehs like Yves Tumor in the Alternative field who has elements of rock in his music:

Khalid does Pop & R&B:

Jason Derulo and Flo Rida did Pop music and they both had good stuff too, however a lot of people don’t like the former and think he’s corny.
Chris Brown and Taio Cruz did some Pop music aswell, Lil Nas does pop currently and Craig David is still doing House and Garage.
MNEK is a Pop songwriter and producer who has even done House music in the past:

Bruno Mars is not Black btw.

Well said, ima check out Yves Tumor

My b bout Bruno mars, I ji thought he was a black man

I think part of the problem wit pop/rock artists, the lyrics do be kinda corny

It be surface level lovie dovey shyt

I think there’s a pocket for lyrical pop/rap white artists have tried it and succeeded

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
How is this a critique? If I was criticizing don’t u think I woulda made pop music or rock music by now?
I interpreted his post as we are the harshest on ourselves, which ultimately puts us in a box… yet want to blame others for it.

I can see how that is.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Because a breh doing it is considered “white” or “gay” or “corny”. They are also called a “sellout” if they deviate from their usual sound into Pop or Rock (see: The Weeknd).
Labels also don’t want to invest in Black male artists who aren’t doing R&B, Afrobeats or Hip-Hop/Drill/Grime unless they were established. They would rather have white artists be the face of the pop or rock genres.

You have got brehs like Yves Tumor in the Alternative field who has elements of rock in his music:

Khalid does Pop & R&B:

Jason Derulo and Flo Rida did Pop music and they both had good stuff too, however a lot of people don’t like the former and think he’s corny.
Chris Brown and Taio Cruz did some Pop music aswell, Lil Nas does pop currently and Craig David is still doing House and Garage.
MNEK is a Pop songwriter and producer who has even done House music in the past:

Bruno Mars is not Black btw.

I can't get jiggy to none of this shyt :camby:

giphy.gif

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Theres not really any rock in the mainstream now anyway. All the pop artists are EDM or Trap/R&B sounding.

I'm not sure we'll ever see a resurgence of rock in the mainstream. The genre needs a superstar or a credible band with broad appeal songs that actually does something fresh for the genre.

Its like how theres no great US soccer players, the people who would be the best chose basketball or football. Same thing for music, Hip Hop took over.

Iverson_64

Superstar
Daps
The Weeknd, Khalid, and Frank Ocean are major Black pop artists. Some people mislabel them as "R&B" but they're definitely Pop and draw from the Pop crowd.

Hell, even Lil Nas X is pretty pop if you think about it and he draws from the Pop crowd too.

And Rock in general is niche as hell outside of the Pop-Punk stuff with MGK.

Overall, though, it boils down to peer pressure from the Black community itself and labels not knowing how to market Black men outside the Hip Hop/R&B space.