Why aren’t Black men more represented in the present day pop/rock scene?

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I wouldn’t describe myself as a music historian but I do have a pretty expansive taste of music

One thing I’ve noticed is that there aren’t a lot of black men who operate in the modern day pop/rock scene.

Rock and Jazz are genres created by black people and even the “King of Rock” is someone who got lots of his style and influence from black culture

Back in the 80s there were many to choose from such as MJ, Hendrix, Prince etc.

In modern day music, I’d say Bruno Mars, The Weeknd, and Anderson Paak (more or less)

Would be the best example, I don’t feel like I’m mis-categorizing the past but I’d like to hear wat y’all think
This is a weird thread, rap is the biggest music Genre

artist were going into those lanes to appeal to a different,larger demo. That’s not needed anymore

Apprentice

everybody in the world needa lul tim
Daps
Reppin
DMV
This is a weird thread, rap is the biggest music Genre

artist were going into those lanes to appeal to a different,larger demo. That’s not needed anymore
Ain’t nothin weird it’s a question

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The pop-rock scene (these are actually code words for "music marketed for white people") was designed to keep black men/people out; they only give room to a few cats (This is why Hendrix and Prince are thought of as the only "black rock" acts while Ernie Isley is never grouped with them while essentially being a rock guitarist) while the rest are forced to stay in their "black" lanes, even if the music is pretty much the same.

more context

bFBqF8B.jpg

The most important part:

RgNjfVV.jpg

but this was marketed as blues (freddie king)

while this was marketed as rock while Clapton did his best Freddie King impression lol

Born Rich

triple entendre, don't ask me how...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
W$GT$
Y’all laugh when they try.

Wayne did it and influenced a generation though.

Trying is the bare minimum, breh…the music has to actually be good.

The issue with Wayne, Cudi, etc. is that they’re not actual musicians. They may have learned to play guitar, but they’re not proficient. We need legit black musicians in that space.

The brehs/brehettes that are in that space are generally doing Punk, which is aesthetically right up our alley, but sonically there’s no groove to it. I prefer my rock psychedelic.

Gambino’s Awaken, My Love was a masterpiece because it captured the sounds of Funkadelic so well.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Trying is the bare minimum, breh…the music has to actually be good.

The issue with Wayne, Cudi, etc. is that they’re not actual musicians. They may have learned to play guitar, but they’re not proficient. We need legit black musicians in that space.

The brehs/brehettes that are in that space are generally doing Punk, which is aesthetically right up our alley, but sonically there’s no groove to it. I prefer my rock psychedelic.

Gambino’s Awaken, My Love was a masterpiece because it captured the sounds of Funkadelic so well.
Masterpiece :mjlol: