Why do y’all think The Northman flopped?

Daps
MV5BMzVlMmY2NTctODgwOC00NDMzLWEzMWYtM2RiYmIyNTNhMTI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAzNzgwNTg@._V1_.jpg

On a budget of $70–90 million it only made $68.9 million. Great action, good acting, beautifully shot. What went wrong?

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I found it okay. Still think The Lighthouse is the best offering from Eggers so far. Majority of the scenes felt like I was watching a Skyrim adaptation on the big screen, which was kinda dope but the plot meandered and marketing was misleading which makes the box office turnout not come as a shock to me.

Daps
I found it okay…still think The Lighthouse is the best offering from Eggers so far. Majority of the scenes felt like I was watching a Skyrim adaptation on the big screen, which was kinda dope but the plot meandered and marketing was misleading which makes the box office turnout not come as a shock to me.
Yeah, I liked The Lighthouse but definitely preferred The Northman over it. You’re right about it looking like a Skyrim adaption though, I guess that’s one of the reasons why I liked it. It had an almost you-are-there atmosphere that, just like a Skyrim, genuinely felt immersive.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
The usual Eggers crew -the crowd that loves slowburn esthetic A24 movies- probably found it way too mainstream and action packed. The mainstream crew probably found it too esthetic and whatnot. It's like he was trying to please everyone, we know how that usually ends up. Also all the people who wanted to see The Northman probably had already seen Vikings (the series) and the movie really feels like just a more stylish long episode tbh.

Daps
The usual Eggers crew -the crowd that loves slowburn esthetic A24 movies- probably found it way too mainstream and action packed. The mainstream crew probably found it too esthetic and whatnot. It's like he was trying to please everyone, we know how that usually ends up. Also all the people who wanted to see The Northman probably had already seen Vikings (the series) and the movie really feels like just a more stylish long episode tbh.
Not gonna lie, in the theatre, I heard a cac sat behind me complaining that it was “trash” and “weird” when the Valkyrie was taking the protagonist to Valhalla.

I guess most people shared his opinion…

Meanwhile, I was sat in my seat like

:banderas:

And by credits, my face was like

:wow: