Will Smith on why you can't get away with making bad movies anymore, how viewers changed the system

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Will Smith on why you can't get away with making bad movies anymore, how viewers changed the system

It doesn’t seem like it's been that long, but Will Smith has been cranking out blockbusters (and would-be blockbusters) for two decades. So, how has the system changed since flicks like Independence Day blew up the box office?

Smith recently participated in a Cannes Lions panel and discussed the evolution of the moviegoing process. He mirrored it back on his own career and touched on one of the more high-profile duds on his early resume in Wild Wild West. Back in the day, Smith said you could ride a marketing campaign to sell a crummy movie to decent box-office success. But now social media and viewer savvy have completely changed the game.

Here’s an excerpt from his comments via The Hollywood Reporter:

“I had so much success that I started to taste global blood and my focus shifted from my artistry to winning. I wanted to win and be the biggest movie star, and what happened was there was a lag — around Wild Wild West time — I found myself promoting something because I wanted to win versus promoting something because I believed in it…

Smoke and mirrors in marketing and sales is over. People are going to know really quickly and globally whether a product keeps its promises. I consider myself a marketer. My career has been strictly being able to sell my products globally, and it’s now in the hand of fans. I have to be in tune with their needs and not trick them into going to see Wild Wild West…

Back in the ’80s and ’90s you had a piece of crap movie you put a trailer with a lot of explosions and it was Wednesday before people knew your movie was shyt. But now what happens is 10 minutes into the movie, people are tweeting ‘This is shyt, go see Vin Diesel’. It’s funny to go sit in a meeting in Hollywood now. It’s a new idea that we have to make good movies.”

It’s interesting to see the perspective Smith has on the business, since he’s the closest thing to Hollywood royalty there is out there. Plus, along with his ample hits, Smith has also been a part of some high-profile bombs (*cough*After Earth*cough*).

What’s your take on Smith’s perspective?

(Via The Hollywood Reporter)

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
This is for anything nowadays.

Your product, whether it's a movie, album, t-shirt, etc has to be quality because word of mouth definitely spreads faster today than it did 15 years ago.

Marketing is definitely still important tho and big launches depend on it. If it wasn't for marketing, a lot of entertainers wouldn't be eating right now cuz I can name a few people who surprise me with their success :francis:

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
Believe it or not, I have never seen WWW in it's full entirety. I paid for ticket to so see the movie.and then went into see South Park: BLU instead.
schlomo2.png

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
Ton of options these days too. Back in the day the only new/interesting things that were available to the public were whatever movie a major studio was producing. If you liked movies you had to go see what was out. Now with all the options available we can catch a ton of high quality stuff without stepping foot in a theater and I'm not even talking about watching major releases online. Indies, low budgets, foreign, serialized tv series', there's all sorts of stuff out there where we can just pass on the crap the studios are trying to promote