Woman, 2 children die crossing Rio Grande as Border Patrol says Texas troops prevented them from intervening

bnew

Veteran
Daps
fukk yes i did :mjlol: source?
A Border Patrol vehicle is seen along the U.S. border fence in Brownsville, Texas, U.S. November 17, 2016. Photo by Jon He...

By —

Valerie Gonzalez, Associated Press

Leave your feedback

Texas is blocking U.S. border agents from patrolling, Biden administration tells Supreme Court​

Politics Jan 12, 2024 1:47 PM EST

McALLEN, Texas (AP) — The Justice Department on Friday asked the Supreme Court to order Texas to stop blocking Border Patrol agents from a portion of the U.S.-Mexico border where large numbers of migrants have crossed in recent months, setting up another showdown between Republican Gov. Greg Abbott and the Biden administration over immigration enforcement.

The request comes after Texas put up fencing to take control of a nearly 50-acre (20-hectare) public park in Eagle Pass, which was a crossing point for thousands of migrants entering from Mexico last year.

“Because Border Patrol can no longer access or view this stretch of the border, Texas has effectively prevented Border Patrol from monitoring the border,” the Justice Department wrote in a filing.

Abbott told reporters Friday that Texas has the authority to control access to any geographic location in the state.

“That authority is being asserted,” Abbott said.

The changes happened Wednesday when the Department of Public Safety informed the Eagle Pass government that the state would be closing public access to the park. The move was an escalation from the governor’s border enforcement efforts known as Operation Lone Star.

Concern grew when Border Patrol noted it, too, lost access to the park, which has a boat ramp that agents use to launch their boats into the Rio Grande. The area also served as a staging area where federal officers would take migrants into custody and process them. The Border Patrol’s access to the site for surveillance was similarly curtailed.

The state and federal government are involved in other legal disputes over actions Texas has taken since 2023, including the use of buoys in the middle of the international river, the installment of razor wire, and an upcoming law that will allow police to arrest migrants.

The state’s policies have been called into question not only by outside critics but internally when a trooper’s account over denying water and urgent medical care made headlines in July.

Ellie Quinlan Houghtaling/

January 4, 2024/4:03 p.m. ET

House Republican Admits He’ll Kill Border Deal If It Helps Biden​

Secure the border … unless it helps Biden’s poll numbers.​

6d2651f4c041747afb564b660c6a2250f8e2a3fb.jpeg

ANNA MONEYMAKER/GETTY IMAGES

Texas Representative Troy Nehls showed his true colors on Wednesday, refusing to back any sort of border deal because he claimed it could help President Joe Biden’s slumping poll numbers.

“Let me tell you, I’m not willing to do too damn much right now to help a Democrat and to help Joe Biden’s approval rating,” the MAGA Republican told CNN.

“I will not help the Democrats try to improve this man’s dismal approval ratings. I’m not going to do it. Why would I? Chuck Schumer has had H.R. 2 on his desk since July. And he did nothing with it,” Nehls added.

Republican loyalty to H.R. 2, an asylum-limiting immigration bill that passed in the House with zero Democratic votes, has proven to be an unstoppable headache for Congress with an almost zero percent chance of passing in the Democratic-controlled Senate or being signed by the president.

That hasn’t stopped House Republicans, more than 60 of whom traveled to the U.S.-Mexico border on Wednesday, from rejecting any sort of bipartisan deal on border security.

And Nehl’s confession on Wednesday may hint at the reason why: Republicans care more about who sits in the White House than doing anything about the border situation they keep harping on about.

“When the House clings to H.R. 2 as the only solution … we’re not going to get a deal,” Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said on Wednesday. “We’re willing to meet the Republicans a good part of the way. I think now in the last few days, many Republicans have begun to realize that we are willing to do that and how serious we are about getting this done.”

The transparently vacuous approach to building a border wall is not an uncommon party trick for conservatives, who have been so inoperative on their self-proclaimed party objectives in recent years that their own caucus has taken to railing against them on the House floor.

In November, Representative Chip Roy laid into his party for failing to pass any laws or reach meaningful policy goals that could translate to campaign talking points, leveraging years of inaction at the border under Trump’s presidency as his primary example.

“One thing. I want my Republican colleagues to give me one thing. One. That I can go campaign on and say we did,” Roy said. “One!”

“With all due respect to former President Trump, they sure as hell didn’t get border security done when we had the White House and the House and the Senate,” Roy said. “Talked a big game about building a wall and having Mexico pay for it. Ain’t no wall, and Mexico didn’t pay for it, and we didn’t pass any border security.”

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
am i missing you answering the question?

when the fukk did biden say "i want to put soldiers on the border" to keep illegals out? :dead:

whats the difference between soldiers patrolling the border and border patrol patrolling the border?:patrice:

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
So sad. RIP.

I got a little Latin ting I wish I could sneak over here 😫😫😫

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok, I see you are not a serious person.

I am also sure you did not read any of what I placed up there to support my point. You have proved to me that you do not give a damn about issues that affect Black Americans, since you could not take a bit of time and read the well researched information by experts on the issue. No, you came back with this idiotic argument attempt at trying to twist my words into something I did not say nor discuss.

Gotdamn, you sonned Ole Boy. :pachaha:

Uncouth Savage

All Star
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
These people are not serious and are only here to cause chaos.

If we were to get straight to the point.
No beating around the bush.

Many of you are more nationalistic, xenophobic, evil, and racist than the Ku Klux klan

That is a sad thing.

And as I said before, it is not just now, this has been going on for years.
Example the kids in cages issue

When the klan is nicer than "blk" people, that is worrisome.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
so is Eric Adams and JB Pritzker getting on their knees and begging for money, because their sanctuary policies are a failure

I've explained what a sanctuary city is to you twice already but you still choose to run with your own definition. federal government employees cannot use local government resources for gathering information on suspected undocumented residents.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've explained what a sanctuary city is to you twice already but you still choose to run with your own definition. federal government employees cannot use local government resources for gathering information on suspected undocumented residents.
it's pandering to illegal immigrants. Abbott is making Democrats look like fukking fools, and it's embarrassing

Wiles

Superstar
Daps
Yall nikkas want to be Mexican so bad those mothers wouldn't help you for shyt. They hate black people fukk em

DonB90

Superstar
Daps
Hate it when I'm right

WASHINGTON — Three migrants had already drowned while trying to cross the Rio Grande near Eagle Pass on Friday night when Texas National Guardsmen turned away U.S. Border Patrol agents seeking access to the river, the federal government said in a recent court filing.
:sas2: