Would BLACK schools do better if black teachers got....

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Would black schools do better if teachers got a mandatory percentage of future earnings from their black children?:jbhmm:

I was thinking about this during a thread with staticshock. Obviously this internal black education tax would cap itself at 5% or so. :hubie:

During a “the root” conversation about black schools I realized that black teachers have far more work to do than their white counterparts to get the same results. While we got some good teachers, we truly don’t have enough. We need incentive.

Would a percentage of future income (kind of like an employment agency) motivate black teachers to put more effort into each child? Would we get more nurses, engineers, and accountants ? Would trade education be encouraged in our schools more because many of them net $70K+ instead of trades being shot down?:patrice:

Keep in mind 5% of 70k is $3500. Also note that each teacher has 20+ children in a classroom so this total could add up greatly over the years. I’d probably weigh the payments higher towards later teachers who have more influence over a student’s future.

Because each class of children would take 10-15yrs to mature, teachers may begin to view their students like a traditional investment/retirement plan. Additionally, property taxes may become less important in determining school quality.

What does theColi think? Please discuss....:lupe:

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:dahell:

Nobody is trying to give up their money to teachers.
And we wonder why we don’t have good schools....:unimpressed:

Nikkas got no problems giving 10% to pastor man, but giving 5% to the person who literally taught you how to read is a problem?:mjtf:

At some point, there will be no one willing to teach you in the first place. Plus, you were gonna pay for it through taxes eventually, but this way the teachers performance is tied directly to your success in life:ld:

Last edited:

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps
They should just get paid more period. Teachers are severely underpaid for the amount of work they do.

The students already have to pay for college, now they have to pay elementary, middle school and high school teachers a mandatory percentage of their wages? You know how many teachers that is?!? Just one year in HS is 7 teachers!!!

Better off just sending to a private school.

Daps
And we wonder why we don’t have good schools....:unimpressed:

Nikkas got no problems giving 10% to pastor man, but giving 5% to the person who literally taught you how to read is a problem?:mjtf:

At some point, there will be no one willing to teach you in the first place. Plus, you were gonna pay for it through taxes eventually, but this way the teachers performance is tied directly to your success in life:ld:

I’m not in favor of giving that much to churches either. The black church teaches us to be passive and not have that cutthroat mentality we need to win in life.

But not all teachers deserve that money anyway. There are a lot of teachers who get their tenure, then stop caring.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What a stupid ass idea
Like wtf is wrong with u
Why so?:feedme:

This.

A lot of kids are disruptive in class because they don’t have stable home lives. Parents aren’t making sure the kids are doing homework, or building relationships with teachers.

No parents need to put more effort into their own kids.

I hear you both on that and it would be ideal, but our communties aren't going to change their parental structure over night.:mjcry:

Even with two parents(rarity) in the hood where both of them are normally working 2 jobs just to stay afloat, there isnt any time to be more attentive in that scenario. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it would be for a single parent to do so.

Also, I worry that we are putting to much blame or responsibility on black families here, especially in comparison to white counterparts. Sounds a little like "bootstrap" talk. An engineering, medical, or upper mgmt white person often works 60+ hours just like the poor, but for higher wages. Their children excell because of high priced private schooling, not because of theoretical dinner table tutoring.:ld:

I've seen the same dynamic play out in black families as well. I have uncles in civilEng. and chemEng. who pull 60+ hr per week and come home to pass out on a couch. Same for numerous female nurses, pharmacists, and MDs in my extended family. Their children are universally placed in (usually white) private schools. My point is that the kids of these individuals often do well because of money, not because of checking hw at night.:yeshrug:

Rather than forcing a black parent to shuttle their kids into a white school or pay for private school, why not provide incentive for BLACK teachers to fill the gap?:jbhmm:

The genius is that the black community wouldn't have to finance this percentage tax on the front end.:manny:

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They should just get paid more period. Teachers are severely underpaid for the amount of work they do.

The students already have to pay for college, now they have to pay elementary, middle school and high school teachers a mandatory percentage of their wages? You know how many teachers that is?!? Just one year in HS is 7 teachers!!!

Better off just sending to a private school.
How much should teachers make ?

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
first of all you would have to get black teachers in those schools :(

too often majority black schools have majority white teachers

white women made up 70% of the teaching force just a few years ago

I haven’t checked stats for that in a while tho

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No parents need to put more effort into their own kids.

...and unfortunately parents have gotten worse over the years

I’ve seen many black and white parents who want NO responsibility for supplementing their child’s education at home

and think the responsibility lies solely with the teacher smh

Daps
Why so?:feedme:

I hear you both on that and it would be ideal, but our communties aren't going to change their parental structure over night.:mjcry:

Even with two parents(rarity) in the hood where both of them are normally working 2 jobs just to stay afloat, there isnt any time to be more attentive in that scenario. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it would be for a single parent to do so.

Also, I worry that we are putting to much blame or responsibility on black families here, especially in comparison to white counterparts. Sounds a little like "bootstrap" talk. An engineering, medical, or upper mgmt white person often works 60+ hours just like the poor, but for higher wages. Their children excell because of high priced private schooling, not because of theoretical dinner table tutoring.:ld:

I've seen the same dynamic play out in black families as well. I have uncles in civilEng. and chemEng. who pull 60+ hr per week and come home to pass out on a couch. Same for numerous female nurses, pharmacists, and MDs in my extended family. Their children are universally placed in (usually white) private schools. My point is that the kids of these individuals often do well because of money, not because of checking hw at night.:yeshrug:

Rather than forcing a black parent to shuttle their kids into a white school or pay for private school, why not provide incentive for BLACK teachers to fill the gap?:jbhmm:

The genius is that the black community wouldn't have to finance this percentage tax on the front end.:manny:

How about we focus on stopping all these babies out of wedlock. That would solve a lot of problems. That is something we could do immediately without legislation.