YouTuber says Baby Boy is a misunderstood masterpiece about Black masculinity

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
I used to watch dude, but his content is for CACS nowadays.

I could peep his sheepish “hey I’m a black guy, I know, toxic masculinity and all that, I’m sorry :francis:

And nowadays it’s like “hey white people, it’s your resident black guy here, let’s talk about a white comedian, black people don’t know about this stuff btw, I’m kind of a trendsetter :francis:

A lot of what he says makes sense, but I really don’t like the way he presents it. I know his type, straight black male academic whose been in those ultra woke sociology circles for too long and has been beat down to nothing.
Qft

I've seen his videos on toxic masculinity and other shyt. He's one of those "let me take my bass out of my voice and try hard to be liberal" types.

He's a perfect example of how left wing politics can sometimes be a ruse to hold black people back, indirectly.

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
As gleefully ignorant and dense as Americans can be, I understand it.

Agreed with the first part of what you said. I think all the themes the YouTuber talked about are what Singleton was trying to do with the movie, but the execution and disjointed tone threw it off. And the over the top unintentional comedy overpowered the movie’s actual message

As for Spike, I think his issue is the opposite. sometimes he’s too obvious and didactic with his messages, like he’s screaming them at you instead of being a bit more nuanced and subtle

what if that's how he actually talks.

Qft

I've seen his videos on toxic masculinity and other shyt. He's one of those "let me take my bass out of my voice and try hard to be liberal" types.

He's a perfect example of how left wing politics can sometimes be a ruse to hold black people back, indirectly.

invalid

Banned
Daps
I do believe Singleton was trying to say something within the movie and its script but unfortunately, the film's execution was executed poorly in that ppl got more caught up in the entertaining baby daddy/mama drama aspect so the message was lost.

A lot of his movies, similar to Spike have an underlying message that sometimes gets lost by the time the final product is finished.

This begs the question, who was Singleton making this movie for? Do you think the demographic that’s reflected in the movie, who watched the movie, would have the capacity to peel through the comedic and dramatic layers to get what Singleton was trying to do?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
It's a terrible movie but certainly hits the nail on the head with respect to a group of black men who were essentially babied by their mother, are emotionally stunted, aren't loyal to the women they impregnate, and essentially exist off the grid working odd jobs or hustling until they end up in prison, get out years later and find a woman to take care of them...

Streetcar

All Star
Daps
I’ve seen a few of this guys videos. He’s got decent content sometimes but like some here mentioned he’s definitely on that ultra left wing black guy shyt. Almost all of his videos are criticizing black men and sometimes white people. Nobody else does anything wrong apparently.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Of course it was meant to be serious

But it’s the best unintentionally funny movie of all time.

Plus I can’t wait to act out that Ving Rhames role in real life.

GettyImages-103387851.jpg

JesusFOREVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
My Father in Heaven
People overanalyze things too much. It's just another coming of age movie set in Los Angeles. No need for think pieces on it.
Breh its a movie, have you ever written a script before? You know how much intricate planning goes into that? Especially for a somewhat major motion picture? Mr. Singleton is an oscar nominated director who’s produced multiple classics, you’re supposed to analyze his work to get the bigger picture