YouTuber says Baby Boy is a misunderstood masterpiece about Black masculinity

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's a terrible movie but certainly hits the nail on the head with respect to a group of black men who were essentially babied by their mother, are emotionally stunted, aren't loyal to the women they impregnate, and essentially exist off the grid working odd jobs or hustling until they end up in prison, get out years later and find a woman to take care of them...

I think the fact that it even attempts to tackle everything you just mentioned at the very least puts it above the terrible category lol

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The masculinity stuff wasnt subtextual it was right up front and the point of the movie.:dwillhuh:

Why act like thats some :ohhh: analysis? The movie opens with adult tyrese in the womb

I think the dude’s main argument is that the movie executes those themes way better than people give it credit for. And yeah the themes are obvious but a lot of people overlook it and just view it mainly as a goofy unintentionally funny hood movie. The dude seems to be arguing that the goofy absurdist stuff in the movie was intentionally done to drive home the point Singleton was trying to make

Like I said though, I think he’s giving Singleton a little too much credit

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
Breh its a movie, have you ever written a script before? You know how much intricate planning goes into that? Especially for a somewhat major motion picture? Mr. Singleton is an oscar nominated director who’s produced multiple classics, you’re supposed to analyze his work to get the bigger picture
I guess when it comes to black movies you aren't supposed to :snoop:

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All I know is Snoop Dogg's acting in that movie is top notch.

He knew this movie was stupid AF and was hamming it up the whole movie. That's the type of performance seasoned actors give when they only do the movie as a favor. :wow:

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
:manny:I'd say Baby Boy is better than Boys in the Hood at this point

All I know is Snoop Dogg's acting in that movie is top notch.

He knew this movie was stupid AF and was hamming it up the whole movie. That's the type of performance seasoned actors give when they only do the movie as a favor. :wow:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I think the fact that it even attempts to tackle everything you just mentioned at the very least puts it above the terrible category lol

I can see your argument. My problem is that while it certain is an interesting movie in what it addresses, the writing (dialogue) and acting are pretty bad. It has this weird after school special vibe to it.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
The idea of what a 20 yr old should be has changed since the movie came out.
if it was made today he would be like 30

People mentally aged faster 20 years ago. Jay Z wasn't lying when he said "30 is the new 20."

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I do believe Singleton was trying to say something within the movie and its script but unfortunately, the film's execution was executed poorly in that ppl got more caught up in the entertaining baby daddy/mama drama aspect so the message was lost.

A lot of his movies, similar to Spike have an underlying message that sometimes gets lost by the time the final product is finished.

He had a novice actor in the lead role. Not sure if the part was originally written for Tupac, but Hollywood was riding the popularity of young rappers/singers for box office in that era. Very few of them had acting talent.

A stronger, or more experienced actor might have been able to better convey the story and the themes.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
People don’t want to grow up now.

Even worse now, cause you see people pushing 40, still on that HS style of thinking, but now they on social media.

Prime example, I went to a party for my homeboy's BM last Sat. Nothing but black folks, but these were dudes that rolled up in new Beamers and Benz with jet black rims, had the latest fly gear, and tinted windows, and all of them had over 20k followers on IG :ohhh: . All of their females were extra, extra bad :noah:

We live in an era where older brehs don't want to give up that superficial life over.