10 Years After Katrina, New Orleans’ All-Charter School System Has Proven a Failure

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
I'm trying to discern is it a public education thing, or an economic thing... cause the public education model is essentially the same across all income levels

well using the same model is exactly what the problem is and im asserting we need to use a different model in the black community

you need to have a different system because kids are coming from different situations, if you put a kid whose parent has been reading to them since they were two and put them in the same "model" as the kid whos parent doesnt read to them, and them give them a reading comprehension test, its not going to be surprising if the kid whose parent read to them far exceeds the other kid in reading comprehension than the kid who doesn't

imo thats essentially whats been happening

so for kids whose parents dont read to them, who come from broken homes and who come from cultures that have an anti academic environment ie black people, you cant use the same model

that is why for the black community its better to eliminate the public school system and start from scratch, so that schools can independently come up with their own method of dealing with problems in their particular community, the typical public school bureaucracy is not equipped to educate black children and in turn it actually kills black children mentally

not to cosign everything the dude says but umar johnson has a lot of good points expanding on this, integration is stupid, black people need our schools and charter schools and vouchers represent a way for black people to do just that, white people can keep their schools if its working for them

aside from umar there are mad black people out there that have mad ideas about how to give black kids a superior (not equal) education, but the typical public school model stifles creativity and new ideas, so we need to get rid of the system itself, to let an explosion of creativity and new ideas to come forth

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
I'm trying to discern is it a public education thing, or an economic thing... cause the public education model is essentially the same across all income levels
oh hell no:what: go to some of the rich suburban area public schools, you'd think you are on a college campus:lupe:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
oh hell no:what: go to some of the rich suburban area public schools, you'd think you are on a college campus:lupe:

Oh yeah. That is true.. .bigger tax base... But I'm not talking about the facilities, I'm talking about the actual curriculum/teaching methods that are used....

There are some brand new state of the art inner city schools here too.... but those upper class suburban schools though.... :whew:

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
What about public schools in middle to upper middle class areas that are pumping out exemplary students from an academic standpoint....?
The 25 Best Public High Schools In The US
  • Nov. 4, 2014, 2:59 PM
  • facebook
  • linkedin
  • twitter

• Via FlickrStudents at Stuyvesant High School say attendance opens up opportunities that other schools wouldn't.

When it comes to high school, you don't need to pay a fortune to get a good education. There are public high schools all around the country that are preparing students for the future.

School data site Niche just released its list of the 100 best public high schools in America. Many are magnet schools, meaning they pull in qualified students from around their districts.

Niche ranks over 100,000 schools based on 27 million reviews from more than 300,000 students and parents, who rated schools in areas like academics, teachers, student culture and diversity, and resources and facilities.

View As: One Page Slides

25. Henry M. Gunn High School (Palo Alto, California)
    25-henry-m-gunn-high-school-palo-alto-california.jpg

Wikipedia
    Academics Grade: A+

Student Culture & Diversity Grade: A

Teachers Grade: A+

Resources & Facilities Grade: B+

One high school junior said, "The curriculum is advanced and fast-paced; most teachers are awesome, [but] the ones who aren’t still know what they’re doing."

24. Rye High School (Rye, New York)
    24-rye-high-school-rye-new-york.jpg

Flickr/amorimur

Student Culture & Diversity Grade: C

Resources & Facilities Grade: A

"Great choices of clubs," said a senior. "RHS is very talented both in terms of music, theater, and arts as well as in terms of the smarts (science Olympiad, math team, JSA, etc)."

23. Saratoga High School (Saratoga, California)
    23-saratoga-high-school-saratoga-california.jpg

Flickr/David Sawyer

Student Culture & Diversity Grade: B+

Resources & Facilities Grade: A-

One senior said, "New facilities are constantly being built, and the school just got a new field."

22. The Science Academy of South Texas (Mercedes, Texas)
    22-the-science-academy-of-south-texas-mercedes-texas.jpg

The Science Academy of South Texas

Resources & Facilities Grade: A+

"This school is actively competitive," noted a senior, "but when it comes around time for college you are more than thankful."

21. High Tech High School (North Bergen, New Jersey)
    21-high-tech-high-school-north-bergen-new-jersey.jpg

High Tech High School

Student Culture & Diversity Grade: A+

"High Tech High School is a school of choice," said one school parent. "They run the school like it were a college campus. More responsibility is put on the student and gets them ready for college."

20. New Trier Township High School (Winnetka, Illinois)
    20-new-trier-township-high-school-winnetka-illinois.jpg

Wikipedia

Student Culture & Diversity Grade: C+

"Students at NT will walk away knowing the skills of self advocacy and presentation," said a school senior. "Many NT students attend top tier colleges."

19. Glenbrook South High School (Glenview, Illinois)
    19-glenbrook-south-high-school-glenview-illinois.jpg

Google Earth

Student Culture & Diversity Grade: A-

One freshman said, "Many students attend some of the best colleges in the country. This school has given us the resources to succeed in life."

18. Glenbrook North High School (Northbrook, Illinois)
    18-glenbrook-north-high-school-northbrook-illinois.jpg

Google Earth

Student Culture & Diversity Grade: B-

"I moved to this school my tenth grade year and since then my grades have increased greatly," a senior said. "The teachers are phenomenal and they take the time to make sure that their students fully understand the topic being taught."

17. Northside College Preparatory High School (Chicago, Illinois)
    17-northside-college-preparatory-high-school-chicago-illinois.jpg

Flickr/kgander

A junior said, "Students are constantly starting their own clubs, and all contribute to the Northside community."

16. Jericho Senior High School (Jericho, New York)
    16-jericho-senior-high-school-jericho-new-york.jpg

Google Earth

Student Culture & Diversity Grade: B

"Extra help is available for the strongest students to the weakest," noted a recent alum. "Each teacher offers before or after classes for review and extra help. The dedication to student success is impressive."

15. School for the Talented & Gifted (Dallas, Texas)
    15-school-for-the-talented-and-gifted-dallas-texas.jpg

Facebook/Talented-and-Gifted-Magnet

One freshman said, "Most of our teachers have high expectations and little leniency for academic dishonesty. However, they treat the students with respect and as adults, which we all appreciate."

14. Liberal Arts & Science Academy (Austin, Texas)
    14-liberal-arts-and-science-academy-austin-texas.jpg

Google Earth

"I love LASA and I think it has given me the pathway to success," a junior said. "Even though that sounds cliche and cheesy, it's true. I am getting an amazing education and I'm getting it in an amazing environment."

13. Troy High School (Fullerton, CA)
    13-troy-high-school-fullerton-ca.jpg

Google Maps

"Troy High School is known for its rigorous courses and outstanding teachers," one senior said. "Although there is a large workload, students are able to have a social life outside of class."

12. Bergen County Technical High School – Teterboro (Teterboro, NJ)
    12-bergen-county-technical-high-school--teterboro-teterboro-nj.jpg

Google Maps

Resources & Facilities Grade: B-

"We are very encouraging of students who want to pursue careers in STEM," one senior said, while another boasted that the Apple-distinguished school has "super advanced technology."

11. Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science & Technology (Lawrenceville, GA)
    11-gwinnett-school-of-mathematics-science-and-technology-lawrenceville-ga.jpg

YouTube/Virgil Shah

"My school has provided me with so many opportunities and learning experiences which are simply not available at any other high school," one senior said. "By the end of my high school career, I will have [completed] two research internships at Emory University's Dept. of Chemistry."

10. Granada Hills Charter High School (Los Angeles, CA)
    10-granada-hills-charter-high-school-los-angeles-ca.jpg

YouTube/MBGeeker

"Granada definitely did an amazing job at mentally preparing me for college," one recent alum said. "Even as a sophomore in college, I still use similar techniques in some of my classes that were taught to me at Granada."

9. Whitney M. Young Magnet High School (Chicago, IL)
    9-whitney-m-young-magnet-high-school-chicago-il.jpg

Wikimedia Commons

"We all work together to move forward and excel. Rather than trying to out-smart the student next to us, we work together to out-perform other schools," one senior said.

8. Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (Annandale, VA)
    8-thomas-jefferson-high-school-for-science-and-technology-annandale-va.jpg

Facebook/TJHSST

Resources & Facilities Grade: B

"We have something called 8th period every other day to allow students to participate in clubs of their choosing, practice a sport, complete their homework, or just chill out," one junior said. "Since the school's population is distributed around 9 counties and many students live far away from the school, this period really helps us get the extracurricular activities we need.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
7. Westlake High School (Austin, TX)
7-westlake-high-school-austin-tx.jpg

Facebook/WHSChaps

Student Culture & Diversity Grade: B-

"Coming out of Westlake, I was incredibly prepared and ahead of the competition in college courses," one recent alum said. "I went to college knowing how to study and knowledgeable on so many topics/issues that a lot of other students had never been exposed to."

6. Walter Payton College Preparatory High School (Chicago, IL)
6-walter-payton-college-preparatory-high-school-chicago-il.jpg

Facebook/Walter-Payton-Prep-Alumni-Association

"Every classroom is equipped with a smartboard or projector and every teacher has a laptop which can be used as a tablet to make classes more interactive," said one senior, adding that teachers provide valuable one-on-one tutoring during free periods.

5. Staten Island Technical High School (New York City, NY)
5-staten-island-technical-high-school-new-york-city-ny.jpg

Screenshot Via YouTube

"Teachers in my school are the reason why students achieve such great heights," one senior said. "Their energy and enthusiasm is contagious. No matter what learning styles students have, there will always be teachers [who] match that with the way they teach."

4. Stuyvesant High School (New York City, NY)
4-stuyvesant-high-school-new-york-city-ny.jpg

Via Flickr

"Stuyvesant High School is a nationally ranked STEM school ... and is often considered the best high school in New York City," a recent alum said. "The curriculum is intense, as is the work load. Being at Stuyvesant opens up opportunities that would most likely not be accessible at other schools."

3. International Academy (Bloomfield Hills, MI)
3-international-academy-bloomfield-hills-mi.jpg

Wikimedia Commons

"The school is a recognized IB Diploma school, meaning that at the culmination of senior year, students take 6-7 IB examinations to gain college credit," one senior said. "When it comes to academics, this school is nationally ranked for a reason."

2. Adlai E. Stevenson High School (Lincolnshire, IL)
2-adlai-e-stevenson-high-school-lincolnshire-il.jpg

Wikimedia Commons

"Stevenson can be a pressure cooker, but it has met my needs in every way," one senior said. A recent alum added, "Every student gets an iPad that they can use throughout the year" and the high school is the first in the nation to receive LEED Gold Certification.

1. High Technology High School (Lincroft, NJ)
1-high-technology-high-school-lincroft-nj.jpg

Twitter/@HighTechHS

Student Culture & Diversity Grade: B

Resources & Facilities Grade: N/A

"If you can handle the high academic expectations, it really is an awesome place. You'll meet a lot of amazing people, get a lot of freedom, and learn a ton," one senior said. "Many kids get into Ivies, MIT, Duke, Stanford, etc.," another senior said.
Oh yeah. That is true.. .bigger tax base... But I'm not talking about the facilities, I'm talking about the actual curriculum/teaching methods that are used....

There are some brand new state of the art inner city schools here too.... but those upper class suburban schools though.... :whew:
doesn't matter, their kids go to great colleges

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
:whoo:

Is this an indictment on the system, or the racial\income makeup of said school systems.... ? :sas1:

No, no indictment on the system, as long as it is a normal school. New Orleans schools before Hurricane Katrina was an indictment on the system but things are normal now.

No matter the standardized test, the average outcome is always the same: the higher the family income, the better the test scores. Along racial lines, Asians do best, then whites, then Hispanics, then blacks. The best performing blacks, those with family incomes above $200,000 or those with parents who graduated college can only do as well as the worst-performing whites, those with family incomes below $20,000 or those with parents who dropped out of high school.

satracialgapfigure.gif

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Hurricane Katrina was a major part of my life, a turning point.

Just happened to run across this thread on Reddit

The hurricane katrina one stuck with me the most because I was a kid in Texas at the time and my sister was in school in Nola when it hit. Man that episode ruffled a lot of fukking feathers but it was incredibly accurate and on the nose.

I was at an okay public school and when the Nola kids relocated here and had to temporarily integrate (for lack of better wording) into our classrooms, we literally were teaching them how to read. It is very possible, as hideous and soulless as it sounds, that some kids’ relocations to Houston and Dallas changed their entire life trajectories for the better.

Edit - this was when I was in 6th grade, for additional context. 6th grade and they couldn’t read.

The whole little sub thread about the kids who left New Orleans and were integrated into local schools.

Heartbreaking to say the least.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Hurricane Katrina was a major part of my life, a turning point.

Just happened to run across this thread on Reddit

The whole little sub thread about the kids who left New Orleans and were integrated into local schools.

Heartbreaking to say the least.

Facts… Kids that relocated to Houston from NO after Katrina did change their life’s for the better… Who knows how they would have turned out if Katrina never happened… shyt is sad and good at the same time..

I remember Katrina like it was fukkin yesterday, sitting in front of my TV at my grandparents home in the carribean in utter shock… Media sitting there calling U.S citizens refugees in their own fukkin country…

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
No, no indictment on the system, as long as it is a normal school. New Orleans schools before Hurricane Katrina was an indictment on the system but things are normal now.

No matter the standardized test, the average outcome is always the same: the higher the family income, the better the test scores. Along racial lines, Asians do best, then whites, then Hispanics, then blacks. The best performing blacks, those with family incomes above $200,000 or those with parents who graduated college can only do as well as the worst-performing whites, those with family incomes below $20,000 or those with parents who dropped out of high school.

One of the things that's always been fukked up about those studies is that they use income to approximate someone's socioeconomic situation, but income is NOT a good measure of socioeconomics across racial lines. Just cause two people both earn $50k doesn't mean they're in the same economic situation at all.

One person earning $50k might be a first generation college student coming from poverty. They have mad debts they're trying to pay off. They have parents in poverty they're trying to help out. They might be stuck in a rough inner-city neighborhood that adds to their stress level and their kids go to a shyt school. They have to pay more for insurance due to their zip code. They have to pay more in rent for a worse place cause they're in the city.

Another person earning $50k might come from generational wealth. Their parents are college educated so they got a lot of basic shyt taken care off that they don't have to worry about. Maybe they don't have student loan debt. Maybe they never had to deal with credit card debt or payday loans. Maybe their parents helped them out with a downpayment on a home. They don't have any family members they need to help financially. The live in a quiet white suburban neighborhood with good schools and get a bigger property for the same price as a tiny apartment in the city.

These differences between generational debt and generational wealth are massive across the white/black division. One study showed that the average Black person making $100k a year lived in a similar quality neighborhood as the average White person making $30k a year. The combination of generational wealth, white flight / redlining, and generational/community social advantages makes a HUGE difference.

That's why income is a terrible proxy for SES status whenever you're comparing across race. Yet economists still use it just because it's easier to tabulate. Wealth would be better, but calculating someone's wealth takes too much extra work and you need info you might not be able to access. An actual point-by-point comparison (neighborhood quality, school quality, family background, debts, assets, etc.) would be the only way a real comparison could get made.