10 years from now do you think Smartphone technology will be dramatically different?

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Of course not but that doesn't mean a new technology won't emerge.
Dramatic tech? Nah. There has to be a cycle that allows time for bleeding edge to make it to consumer consumption. 10yrs is not enough time. Maybe 15 and something big will change things.

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
No. Is your phone dramatically different from the one you had in 2011? :skip:

You’re ignoring all the innovation that we’re just used to now.

- Headphone jack is now irrelevant, everything Bluetooth enabled. You weren’t steppin into your new 2011 car and immediately get music linked from your phone.

- Payments Technology come on breh Apple Pay is crazy. Being able to provision a payment card onto your phone and have it interact with payment systems is a huge innovation.

- Camera quality on 2021 phones are crazy nice compared to 2011

- I might be wrong but I don’t think we could do things like airdrop files / content to other phones.

- Phones from 2011 were thick as hell compared to how slim they’ve gotten. Doesn’t seem big, but it’s big advancement in chip tech that allows substantially more processing power in a smaller device. It’s also part of the reason that in 2021 we can roam wherever and our LTE loads internet videos like regular wifi

Our phones aren’t holograms or air touch screens like in Black Mirror, but there really has been a lot of advancement in phones. It’ll only grow quicker as everyone now realizes the phone is everyone’s handheld computer

Retired Account

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
galaxy-fold-refresh-silver-9.jpg

i could see folding phones taking off if they get the tech perfected.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I think in 10 years we won’t be physically “holding” the phone anymore it will just be a projected image onto a surface with a holographic style gesture oriented interface. We already have this taking place in certain car infotainment systems.

KingJay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly bouls, Trust the Process
There'll be one major innovation that we really notice
The technical specs of the phone will improve a bit
And they'll probably just get better at 1. data collection and 2. using that data collection so that the phone knows what we want/need

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

- Headphone jack is now irrelevant, everything Bluetooth enabled. You weren’t steppin into your new 2011 car and immediately get music linked from your phone.

- Payments Technology come on breh Apple Pay is crazy. Being able to provision a payment card onto your phone and have it interact with payment systems is a huge innovation.

- I might be wrong but I don’t think we could do things like airdrop files / content to other phones.

- Phones from 2011 were thick as hell compared to how slim they’ve gotten. Doesn’t seem big, but it’s big advancement in chip tech that allows substantially more processing power in a smaller device. It’s also part of the reason that in 2021 we can roam wherever and our LTE loads internet videos like regular wifi

Our phones aren’t holograms or air touch screens like in Black Mirror, but there really has been a lot of advancement in phones. It’ll only grow quicker as everyone now realizes the phone is everyone’s handheld computer
Bluetooth was definitely in phones and cars in 2011 brotha. And sound quality is still superior with a cable connection.

NFC technology was around and being used in 2011 as well, as was Google Pay. My Nexus Galaxy had it.

Cameras are better than they were in 2011. :yeshrug:That’s not dramatic by any means. That sort of advancement is as aspected as breathing. Camera tech improves within the same generation phones so obviously it will over a decade. But there ain’t nothing youre doing with a camera that’s dramatically diff than before. That’s the point.

Phones are about as thick as they were before now. There was a time when everything was about being as thin as possible then we moved out of that phase because the industry dictated that people preferred better battery life instead so phones got thicker again and are about as thick as premium phones in 2011.

Network improvements are like cameras. Expected and not dramatic. Internationally, the rest of the western world had 4G/LTE speeds long before we did. Their 3G speeds were our 4G speeds.

The only dramatic differences in phones the last 10yrs has been the implementation of biometrics. The fingerprint scanner changed the game. Then so did all the other heart sensors, blood sensors, oxygen sensors etc. LiDar/AR processors will change it soon but right now it’s just a gimmick for kid games and home decor.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights

I like headphone jacks and my phone from 2012 was just as thin as the ones from now.

The phones themselves had bluetooth technology but that didn't become standard in cars til like 2014 or 2015.

2006 to 2012 was a much bigger difference in phone technology.

What I'll give you though, is that phones over the last few years do take much better video than 10 years ago.

Kokoro

Passion
Supporter
Daps
Not really. Compared to 10 years ago they do just about all the same functions just better/faster/bigger.
Naw processors these days are getting smaller and faster

I couldn’t imagine being able to be on a zoom call/twitch/YouTube running in the background on an application while browsing the Internet and installing updates in the background as well ten years ago.