Votes: 40 78.4%

• Total voters

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Synopsis:

I've been with my current company a couple years now working contract: $52-53 an hour, 40 hours a week. No overtime and no PTO for vacations, holidays or sick days. And of course, no health care, dental or 401k [I pay for the healthcare stuff, mostly just to avoid the tax penalties]. So basically i can pull upwards to 110k a year but realistically it'll always be somewhat less bc i'll obviously take days off throughout the course of a year.

Mind you i'm healthy, fit, no wife or kids, so all i do is stack up cash. Only debt i have is student loans of course :francis:

So my supervisor and I were talking and it was brought up that I was still contract. He said he could make a case to his higher ups for moving me over to salary, but asked if i'd prefer that because it'd mean a lower base pay for the added benefits. He didn't get into specifics bc this was all very informal but I figure it'd be around 80-90k, but with good to great company benefits.

I told him I wouldn't mind finally being able to take a vacation and shyt without losing money lol but now its got me thinking. My folks been told me to get on that salary+benefits train, and so have other people. Esp with the 401k. Obviously if it was the same $$$ amount it'd be a no brainer but I wanted to see if there were opposing thoughts to taking less or how much less?

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
One more thing, as an aside: The reason why i frequent this subforum is because i don't want to work for anyone til i'm old and gray (i'm 32 right now), so i spent most my free time brainstorming different ways to diversify my income. I work for a cool company [with it's headaches but nothing unbearable] so i'm not exactly looking to climb the corporate ladder. I'm just stacking and trying to brainstorm other cash flow plans. That said, I understand the importance of having stability as far as not taking financial Ls if you ever get really sick or can't make it in, or of just having a 401k steadily building [even though you could always still get laid off regardless of your contract/salary].

So there's that too.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I would always take salary, it’s less stressful and I use to hate holidays because I knew my paycheck would be short.
Christmas is the worst :francis:

I worked salary in my previous job and i used to save all my vacation up until november/december... i'd basically have a month and a half off to end the year :ohlawd:

Now it be like the day after Christmas and i'm in my office like :ld:

DarrynCobretti

Fresh out the bed, count up the dead
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
All this drip on me
I'd go with the offer that will ensure you of a well-funded 401k. Also what metro area or state are you located? Because obviously location/cost of living has to be taken into consideration when answering this.

Assuming you live in an east coast metro area like I do, I'd unquestionably take the 85k, stable pay + PTO + benefits. Living in a competitive metro area, stability/security is paramount because of the peace of mind factor.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I'd go with the offer that will ensure you of a well-funded 401k. Also what metro area or state are you located? Because obviously location/cost of living has to be taken into consideration when answering this.

Assuming you live in an east coast metro area like I do, I'd unquestionably take the 85k, stable pay + PTO + benefits. Living in a competitive metro area, stability/security is paramount because of the peace of mind factor.
I'm in Htown, TX. So cost of living is relatively lower than what i've heard about east coast regions, and no state taxes. The peace of mind factor with the job security is a big thing no doubt

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Go the salary route. Being real, you never know what may happen with your health so it's better to have those benefits and not need them than need them and not have them. Also your total package might be over 110k once it's all calculated out. My salary isn't 6 figures yet but with benefits it's like 105ish.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Depens on you.
I know a lot of guys in my place prefer the money of a contract. I mean you still get your vacation and sick hours, my insurance is pretty good as a single man, 90 dollars a month 16 dollars for dental.

But I can understand the pension option of a salary, with the government and a cvilian position.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
You can opt into most of that other stuff through the contract company

Gimme That 110k base with OT

giphy.gif

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Depens on you.
I know a lot of guys in my place prefer the money of a contract. I mean you still get your vacation and sick hours, my insurance is pretty good as a single man, 90 dollars a month 16 dollars for dental.

But I can understand the pension option of a salary, with the government and a cvilian position.

Bruh, how'd you get it down to 90 bucks for medical? :dwillhuh:

Them fukkers got me paying like 250 with the plans they made available to me, on health insurance gov or whatever :francis:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Bruh, how'd you get it down to 90 bucks for medical? :dwillhuh:

Them fukkers got me paying like 250 with the plans they made available to me, on health insurance gov or whatever :francis:
They got your ass. I"m with guardian.
its 45 dollars every 2 weeks and 90 for the month.

Might be the state you are in and the exchanges available.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
giphy.gif

It might be because my cheap ass was lookin up down and all over for the cheapest dirt i could find there
Yeah the contractor I'm with is really good on the low healthcare prices.
I'm looking at another one they use HSA and high premium insurance

RoGethoes

Banned
Daps
Is the 110k on a 1099? Cause if so you could end taking home only half of that after taxes