• 85k, gimme stable pay + PTO + benefits

Votes: 40 78.4%

• Total voters

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY
That contract shyt gets tired after a while (unless you find work promptly after it expires) been out of work going on a month next week with no indication of when my next pay check is plus i suck at interviews :mjcry:

Exactly, I remember that situation well when I first came out of college. I’m too old for that now that I have real bills to pay that I can’t be late on.

When you are on salary you know your money will be there on 15th and 1st.

FocusedDaily

Chi-town's Hero
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South-side Chi
All said and done , being salary at my company gets me 41 paid days off a year. (Vacation, holidays, I’ll time, personal) That’s 2 months in business days. Plus matching on my 401 , plus my insurance is cheaper.

Contract work is side hustle only at this point. If you’re young or single I can understand. But I got a whole family to insure, and I’m in my 30s and I need those off days to stay sane and rest

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Update:

2 months ago I quit the 110k contract job, bushed the 85k+benefits offers, and accepted an expat job to work in the middle east, a corporate job in the petroleum industry.

Left field shyt lol but i moved out here about a month ago. It's a 6 figure job but the big thing is that US expats get the foreign earned income exclusion (FEIE), which means the first 105k you earn is tax free (the remaining is taxed at whatever tax bracket the 105k falls under); this number increases slightly every year.

Benefits-wise, the company matches 9% of your salary to your 401k, gives 42 days vacation (that's for single/bachelor status... it's 50+ days if you're married/family status), 2 weeks of national holidays, and one travel allowance a year of 9k for single/bachelors to use or pocket (you get 2 or 3 allowances if your family status.. so close to 30k); and they fully house you in their expat camp; basically i live in a 2-story town house in a 10,000 person "city" with a bunch of Brits, Texans (oil n gas hub), South Afrikans, and mismash of other foreigners.. with elementary schools, golf courses, shopping centers, gyms, etc. The expat city is "westernized" and has about 3 levels of security gates. Don't ever lose your ID card.

A month in and i'd need to make a whole other thread to go into all the fukkery that happens in the camp and the surrounding areas like Dubai and Bahrain that ppl travel to on weekends. It's like college but with adults who all are making money. i.e. Alcohol is "banned" but any and everything is smuggled in, or just brewed. Long story short, everyone says stick it out for 5 years bare minimum, or 10 years if you want to secure a milly+ (can probably do that in 7-8 years if you're a minimalist).

So far so good but obviously it's a hell of a shift

Last edited:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Update:

2 months ago I quit the 110k contract job, bushed the 85k+benefits offers, and accepted an expat job to work in the middle east, a corporate job in the petroleum industry.

Left field shyt lol but i moved out here about a month ago. It's a 6 figure job but the big thing is that US expats get the foreign earned income exclusion (FEIE), which means the first 105k you earn is tax free (the remaining is taxed at whatever tax bracket the 105k falls under); this number increases slightly every year.

Benefits-wise, the company matches 9% of your salary to your 401k, gives 42 days vacation (that's for single/bachelor status... it's 50+ days if you're married/family status), 2 weeks of national holidays, and one travel allowance a year of 9k for single/bachelors to use or pocket (you get 2 or 3 allowances if your family status.. so close to 30k); and they fully house you in their expat camp; basically i live in a 2-story town house in a 10,000 person "city" with a bunch of Brits, Texans (oil n gas hub), South Afrikans, and mismash of other foreigners.. with elementary schools, golf courses, shopping centers, gyms, etc. The expat city is "westernized" and has about 3 levels of security gates. Don't ever lose your ID card.

A month in and i'd need to make a whole other thread to go into all the fukkery that happens in the camp and the surrounding areas like Dubai and Bahrain that ppl travel to on weekends. It's like college but with adults who all are making money. i.e. Alcohol is "banned" but any and everything is smuggled in, or just brewed. Long story short, everyone says stick it out for 5 years bare minimum, or 10 years if you want to secure a milly+ (can probably do that in 7-8 years if you're a minimalist).

Yea man we gonna need the details. Must have been a hell of an experience.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Update:

What all type of roles they got? Mind PMing me?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Update:

If you're in your 20s, you're gold. :myman:

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
I’m in a similar situation and I need some unbiased advice
I assume no one knows me on this board

Anyway.....

I’m currently a third party contractor for an oilfield company. I make 66/hr 99/hr after 40 hrs. I currently get healthcare, and 401k option. I don’t get vacation days, but I’m on a rotational schedule. 14 on 14 off. I can work as much as I want.

They want to hire me full time for 135k base with performance bonus . Stock purchase plan at 20 % percent discount at purchase, 401k match , healthcare etc. ( I’ll be working the same 14/14 schedule)

I would be loosing roughly 40k. I’m not counting in the bonus because that’s not guaranteed. The
Advantages are more mobility in my career and getting free company training.

The contracting gig obviously isn’t bad, but less job security( that’s a big deal in O&G), less mobility, no training.

Thoughts brehs?

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

:wow02: the streets need this one breh

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
Update:

:whoo:

Zandía

Pro
Daps
@Primetime

Family member of mine did what you’re doing. Set herself up nice , but was met with lots and lots of sexual harassment. She offered to put me on but I was shook. You got me rethinking thangs but she and I fell out. LOL!

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I would say to get off contract and go full-time unless you just want to stack as much money as possible and open your own business. You have to calculate vacation days into all of that. If you're getting 20 vacation days, that's essentially a month where you're getting paid to not work. 40k that you could potentially make doesn't mean anything if they fire you, and typically they will fire contractors before they fire employees.

OC's finest

All Star
Daps
man i forgot my pw and havent logged in like a half year and jus been lurking, but saw this thread got upped

jus to update, for 2019 i grossed over $250k