12/10 ESPN: Teofimo Lopez vs Sandor Martin

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

morris

Superstar
Daps
But how much is that to Loma not fighting back until the second half of the fight. As I suspected then, I don't think Teo felt he could beat Loma a second time based on the second half of that fight which is why he was adamant about not doing a rematch and going after someone he thought he could steamroll
Teo fought back as well and did not get tattooed as much, hell, he even won the 12th!

But funny how Teo said in the promo, "You thought the Loma fight was the best of me?"

So far...hell mf'in yes

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Teo fought back as well and did not get tattooed as much, hell, he even won the 12th!

But funny how Teo said in the promo, "You thought the Loma fight was the best of me?"

So far...hell mf'in yes
Oh Im not saying he didn't win the fight and him winning the twelve was big, but, in my eyes when watching the fight, Loma took over once he started fighting back

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
But how much is that to Loma not fighting back until the second half of the fight. As I suspected then, I don't think Teo felt he could beat Loma a second time based on the second half of that fight which is why he was adamant about not doing a rematch and going after someone he thought he could steamroll
If it was only up to Loma he would have started earlier, Lopez didn't let him. Loma didn't intentionally let the fight slip from him and he was never a fast starter anyway.
Not necessarily you but it's funny how a lot of ppl were riding Loma like he'd be this otherworldy magician, a genius but then claimed his stupidity to "start late" for his loss to Lopez.
Lopez was a lot more measured there than against Kambosos or even here and stylistically it's different, Loma can look stale on the backfoot while Martin's bread and butter is the backfoot.
He walked Loma down patiently most of the fight, I think the narrow cards from a lot of people were favorable to Loma there, rather agreed with the official cards, Loma hasn't won but a couple of rounds clearly, most of it was clear Lopez rounds and a couple of "could gone either way".

Also, it was surprising how much bigger Martin looked compared to Lopez than I thought.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
If it was only up to Loma he would have started earlier, Lopez didn't let him. Loma didn't intentionally let the fight slip from him and he was never a fast starter anyway.
Not necessarily you but it's funny how a lot of ppl were riding Loma like he'd be this otherworldy magician, a genius but then claimed his stupidity to "start late" for his loss to Lopez.
Lopez was a lot more measured there than against Kambosos or even here and stylistically it's different, Loma can look stale on the backfoot while Martin's bread and butter is the backfoot.
He walked Loma down patiently most of the fight, I think the narrow cards from a lot of people were favorable to Loma there, rather agreed with the official cards, Loma hasn't won but a couple of rounds clearly, most of it was clear Lopez rounds and a couple of "could gone either way".

Also, it was surprising how much bigger Martin looked compared to Lopez than I thought.
Out of that supposed Loma surge in the second half of the fight, only the 11th was where he really put it on Lopez and won the round dominantly, in the rest Lopez always landed his fair share of shots and hasn't looked like he finally let the fight out of control. So I haven't seen that as much of a Loma takeover.
Teo even hurt him by the end of the 12th.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Well I secretly rooted against Loma because of Joe Tess nuthugging, but when I watched the Teo fight I had Loma winning the second half minus the 12th. I personally think he (Loma) was being cautious of Teo's power and waited too long to get started because I don't remember Teo slowing up allowing Loma to take control. I only watched the fight once so I'm just going off memory

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
Well I secretly rooted against Loma because of Joe Tess nuthugging, but when I watched the Teo fight I had Loma winning the second half minus the 12th. I personally think he (Loma) was being cautious of Teo's power and waited too long to get started because I don't remember Teo slowing up allowing Loma to take control. I only watched the fight once so I'm just going off memory
This. I was exactly the same, rooting for the young gun Teo in an upset. 100% agree Vasyl cautious early, and understandably, that's a natural 140er going down to 135 in Teo, Lomachenko a natural 130er going up to 135 pounds.

Lopez controlled first 5 of 6 rounds. Imo Lomachenko came back from 7-11 very strong, Lopez was almost out on feet, but pulled a 12th round that will go down as his best ever in his career.

*Sandor Martins problem in this recent fight was a set of judges that predominantly valued ring assertion.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This. I was exactly the same, rooting for the young gun Teo in an upset. 100% agree Vasyl cautious early, and understandably, that's a natural 140er going down to 135 in Teo, Lomachenko a natural 130er going up to 135 pounds.

Lopez controlled first 5 of 6 rounds. Imo Lomachenko came back from 7-11 very strong, Lopez was almost out on feet, but pulled a 12th round that will go down as his best ever in his career.

*Sandor Martins problem in this recent fight was a set of judges that predominantly valued ring assertion.
I was thinking it was the 7th round when it turned around but wasn't sure if I was remembering correctly. I try to keep bias away when judging a fight and I felt Loma showed a chink in Teo's armor that Martin shined a bigger light on.
I don't want to completely shyt on Teo because he can improve but it is going to take some mental toughness and for him to realize that the jab is going to be crucial weapon for him

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
I was thinking it was the 7th round when it turned around but wasn't sure if I was remembering correctly. I try to keep bias away when judging a fight and I felt Loma showed a chink in Teo's armor that Martin shined a bigger light on.
I don't want to completely shyt on Teo because he can improve but it is going to take some mental toughness and for him to realize that the jab is going to be crucial weapon for him
Nah fukk Teo. :birdman:

Less pull ups, curls and grid iron in camp, throw 10,000 jabs going forwards, backwards, up, down, behind a guard etc.

Styles make fights, and he can still have success against small to medium sized fighters at 140 that can't box. But can you imagine him against Haney? He'd get trademarked worse than Kambosos got it. He isn't shyt against bigger 140'ers or 140'ers that can fight backwards like Martin etc.

I can't rememeber if it was you or @reservoirdogs that highlighted Lomachenko inefficiency off the backfoot when compared to say a Martin off the back foot (let alone a Haney off the backfoot.) And that's a great point. Lomachenko being so anatomically bereft, he has to slip and set traps, wear them down psychologically, beat them with conditioning etc.

Lopez camp are going to pad the shyt out of his career from herein, if that's possible. He has a lot of issues at 140, a lot of issues. Imo he should go back to 135. At least he can bash people up easily down there.

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
Martin did himself no favors by not moving his hands enough & being on the back foot constantly
True, it's a flip of the coin with judges as to whether they value clean counters, boxing prowess vs agression, initiative.

Floyd could score with enough jabs and long shots in first minutes of rounds to then work off the back foot and counter, but still get round points.

Still, that fight was bullshyt, it should have been 2 knockdowns. And a different set of judges may have edged it to Martin. You're right though, he did himself no favours, it's prizefighting after all.

Martin lost the bout, but in a lot of peoples eyes he won the fight. I tend to agree.