2018 Oscar Ratings Down Double Digits, Eye All-Time Low In Early Estimates

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Not disagreeing with that but it also doesn't make sense to only have one or two blockbuster films nominated.

Make the Best Picture category have 6 nominations with 3 blockbusters & 3 lesser known films.
I don’t think it’s mandatory to do something like that. I just think as time goes on and as they increase the amount of people in the academy, they need to redefine what an Oscar movie is. It happens every decade and it’s time for it to happen again

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Raiders of the lost ark, jaws, and Star Wars were Oscar flicks back in the day. Not saying every blockbuster should be but you gotta open it up a bit and honor those flicks for more than just their technical achievements

I THINK BLACK PANTHER WILL GET A BUNCH OF NOMS.
:devil:
:evil:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I don’t think it’s mandatory to do something like that. I just think as time goes on and as they increase the amount of people in the academy, they need to redefine what an Oscar movie is. It happens every decade and it’s time for it to happen again

What are some examples of movies you felt should have been nominated for Best Picture in the last few years?

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Audience retention.

Why not level the field? Have the movies that both the casual and dedicated moviegoer will know.

And I guess my point is audience retention shouldn't be the priority. This is the one time of the year that small movies get their chance to shine. Let them shine and don't worry about if Joe Smoe that only watches 3 movies a year knows who is there.

Big budget, huge box office films already get all of the conversation and attention for 99.9% of the year. Why bend over backwards to give them THIS too?

And it's not like they never get nominated. Freaking Avatar was a Best Picture nominee.

We've already seen the mid budget movie decline. Trying to make award season more populist won't do any favors to the small budget films.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Let's just say since 2015 when Mad Max and The Martian were both nominated for Best Picture.

Damn three years. Well two technically. Slim ass pickings lol

Well off the top of my head I would’ve moved zootopia to best picture category rather than animated.

And I would’ve nominated Wonder Woman from last year. Not saying it deserved to win but it’s a landmark film obviously and patty Jenkins crafted some really dope ass scenes and an overall satisfying story. It touched on some of the same things other Oscar flicks have: war, empowerment, the role of women in our society, power and responsibility. And it feels very female raiders of the lost ark (not saying it’s as good)

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
And I guess my point is audience retention shouldn't be the priority. This is the one time of the year that small movies get their chance to shine. Let them shine and don't worry about if Joe Smoe that only watches 3 movies a year knows who is there.

Big budget, huge box office films already get all of the conversation and attention for 99.9% of the year. Why bend over backwards to give them THIS too?

And it's not like they never get nominated. Freaking Avatar was a Best Picture nominee.

We've already seen the mid budget movie decline. Trying to make award season more populist won't do any favors to the small budget films.

He sums up what I'm trying to say:
Damn three years. Well two technically. Slim ass pickings lol

Well off the top of my head I would’ve moved zootopia to best picture category rather than animated.

And I would’ve nominated Wonder Woman from last year. Not saying it deserved to win but it’s a landmark film obviously and patty Jenkins crafted some really dope ass scenes and an overall satisfying story. It touched on some of the same things other Oscar flicks have: war, empowerment, the role of women in our society, power and responsibility. And it feels very female raiders of the lost ark (not saying it’s as good)

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
@Tasha And let me add straight outta Compton to that list as well.

I agree with you that smaller movies need light too. They’re being squeezed out of the marketplace so let’s not kill them in the awards too. I feel that. But both should be able to coexist in the awards space to me. Especially since they opened it up for that very reason. And they’re seemingly only paid lip service to it

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
@Tasha And let me add straight outta Compton to that list as well.

I agree with you that smaller movies need light too. They’re being squeezed out of the marketplace so let’s not kill them in the awards too. I feel that. But both should be able to coexist in the awards space to me. Especially since they opened it up for that very reason. And they’re seemingly only paid lip service to it

I'd argue that they do share the same space, especially since they expanded the nominations to a max of 10, but with priority given to smaller films.

I'm trying to imagine what it would look like if that priority was eliminated, and now big budget smashes like Logan, Wonder Woman, Planet of the Apes, etc sit comfortably every year in the BP nominations. I already feel like some smaller films like The Florida Project are snubbed. It would be even worst if a small flick like that is now competing against Deadpool or whatever.

If I have a complaint about what a BP nominee should look like, or a vision of what the redefining that you mentioned should look like, it's not necessarily for more big budget/popular films, but for hard genre stuff like light comedies and horror films like The Witch to get more of a shot. But even then, it's not like there are a ton of them released recently that I can point to as films that should have been nominated.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'd argue that they do share the same space, especially since they expanded the nominations to a max of 10, but with priority given to smaller films.

I'm trying to imagine what it would look like if that priority was eliminated, and now bid budget smashes like Logan, Wonder Woman, Planet of the Apes, etc sit comfortably every year in the BP nominations. I already feel like some smaller films like The Florida Project are snubbed. It would be even worst if a small flick like that is now competing against Deadpool or whatever.

If I have a complaint about what a BP nominee should look like, or a vision of what the redefining that you mentioned should look like, it's not necessarily for more big budget/popular films, but for hard genre stuff like light comedies and horror films like The Witch to get more of a shot. But even then, it's not like there are a ton of them released recently that I can point to as films that should have been nominated.

I can agree with the latter. And you jogged my memory but the last two apes movies should’ve gotten love. Definitely. Those are no brainers to me. I just don’t think priority should be given to any movie. Regardless of budget and release date and pedigree. If it’s a great movie in the summer it’s a great movie when it’s time to give nods