2018 Oscar Ratings Down Double Digits, Eye All-Time Low In Early Estimates

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I can agree with the latter. And you jogged my memory but the last two apes movies should’ve gotten love. Definitely. Those are no brainers to me. I just don’t think priority should be given to any movie. Regardless of budget and release date and pedigree. If it’s a great movie in the summer it’s a great movie when it’s time to give nods

But we're not simply talking about what is a great movie, or giving awards to great movies, we are talking about what is an oscar movie. The definition of a best picture for the oscars. A definition that is different from the definition of the best picture at the MTV movie awards or the Golden Globes. Different award shows have different ideas of what constitutes honor worthy from them. And priority, or perhaps to use a better word, bias is baked into them. That is why the majority of Oscar nominated films are American films.

The Academy say they are honoring "artistic and technical merit"; that is the priority, the bias, not "entertainment and fun". Directors want to vote for other directors, actors want to vote for other actors, writers vote for other writers.

And they tend to focus on films they feel are visions of the particular artist, rather than focus-tested visions of a studio. So I misspoke in saying it would be priority to smaller films by virtue of them being smaller films, that was just my shorthand way of describing that it's those smaller films that tend to exemplify those merits that they value. At least in Best Picture.

I do agree that when a movie is released should have less bearing, but that is another thing that is tough to eliminate because hey, it's human nature to be influenced by what's fresh to you. And the marketing of the studio campaigns and politics of the luncheons also create biases that you aren't going to eliminate.

But I guess I'm just trying to say that I don't mind the focus of the oscars being more narrow than other award shows. I think it can get wider in scope, and it will as younger academy members are introduced from around the world and old white dudes are phased out. But I still think this ends up resulting in diverse, smaller movies, like Pariah or Fish Tank being honored, rather than it now opening the lanes for 5/10 of the BP nominees to be Disney big budget films. And I don't have an issue with that. Let the Oscars be the time for those kind of films to shine, and if we have a phenomenon like Titanic or Avatar or Lord of the Rings, then they can be celebrated too.

(btw, I don't think you're arguing for 5/10 of BP nominees to be populist films. But there are a lot of people that are arguing for something close to that. I think we're actually close to agreeing that a few a year, like a Straight Outta Compton or Inside Out or Planet of the Apes. But my argument is I think we're closer to your vision than what you think. The younger viewers will bring your vision fully home in the coming years, but I hope it doesn't escalate beyond or dramatically transform what the oscars are in the interest of bringing in more viewers)

Last edited:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
People in general just aren't checking for live events like that anymore. They watch clips on youtube and twitter and discuss it there. Chasing TV viewing numbers is the wrong way to approach this.

The Grammy's ratings are down

Viewership of Sunday’s 60th annual Grammy Awards is down significantly from the 2017 telecast, nabbing the smallest audience in the show’s history in the key demo.

TV Ratings: Grammy Awards Hit All-Time Low in Key Demo

The Emmy's ratings are down

With 11.38 million viewers tuning into the 69th annual Primetime Emmy Awards is even with last year’s show on ABC, which was the all-time low. The 2016 show was down 5% from the 2015 show, which was the previous low.

Emmy Awards Match All-Time Low Of 2016 With 11.4M Viewers; Hits Demo Low

The Golden Globe ratings are down

With a 5.0 rating among adults 18-49 and 19.0 million viewers, the Seth Meyers-hosted shindig is down from last year’s Jimmy Fallon-fronted ceremony, declining 11% in the demo and 5% in total viewers.

Golden Globe Ratings Down From 2017, Fall To 6-Year Demo Low

The MTV Awards ratings are down

Despite electric performances from Kendrick Lamar, Ed Sheeran and Lil Uzi Vert, the 2017 MTV Video Music Awards suffered a huge drop in ratings when it aired this past Sunday (Aug. 27). According to The Washington Post, the network drew just 5.4 million viewers, the lowest total since Nielsen began tracking viewers for the show back in 1994.

2017 MTV Video Music Awards Had Lowest Ratings of All Time - XXL

The Super Bowl ratings are down

With 103.4 million watching, last night’s game on NBC from Minneapolis is down 7% from the total set of network eyeballs from the 2017 Super Bowl. A steeper fall than even the declining the stock market today, that’s the worst the Super Bowl has done since 2009 when the Pittsburgh Steelers 27-23 defeat of the Arizona Cardinals scored 98.7 million viewers.

Eagles’ 1st Super Bowl Win Draws 103.4M Viewers, Smallest Audience In Nine Years – Update

The Winter Olympics ratings are down

The 2018 Winter Olympics are officially in the books, with the final ratings making the Pyeongchang games the least-watched Olympics on record.

2018 Winter Olympics Close Out as Least-Watched on Record, Down 7% From Sochi Games

All of the Network primetime TV ratings are down

NBC is down 4%, CBS is down 6%, ABC is down 11%, and Fox's prime time viewership dropped 20% through the first month of the new TV season, according to Nielsen data. And those numbers are down despite the inclusion of live sporting events, which usually bring in big audiences.

Yes, the NFL's TV ratings are down but so is the rest of network television

Box Office ticket sales are down

Fewer tickets were sold at U.S. movie theaters in 2017 than any years since 1992, according to Box Office Mojo.

Data from the website’s calculations show 1.239 billion movie tickets were sold between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31 last year. It’s a mild drop from 2016, at just under six percent, but more significant when considering the trend: As home entertainment options have continued to expand, the amount of tickets sold in theaters has on average decreased. For comparison’s sake, more than 1.4 billion tickets were sold just 10 years ago.

U.S. movie ticket sales in 2017 were lowest in 25 years

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Damn three years. Well two technically. Slim ass pickings lol

Well off the top of my head I would’ve moved zootopia to best picture category rather than animated.

And I would’ve nominated Wonder Woman from last year. Not saying it deserved to win but it’s a landmark film obviously and patty Jenkins crafted some really dope ass scenes and an overall satisfying story. It touched on some of the same things other Oscar flicks have: war, empowerment, the role of women in our society, power and responsibility. And it feels very female raiders of the lost ark (not saying it’s as good)
:laff:!!

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
But we're not simply talking about what is a great movie, or giving awards to great movies, we are talking about what is an oscar movie. The definition of a best picture for the oscars. A definition that is different from the definition of the best picture at the MTV movie awards or the Golden Globes. Different award shows have different ideas of what constitutes honor worthy from them. And priority, or perhaps to use a better word, bias is baked into them. That is why the majority of Oscar nominated films are American films.

The Academy say they are honoring "artistic and technical merit"; that is the priority, the bias, not "entertainment and fun". Directors want to vote for other directors, actors want to vote for other actors, writers vote for other writers.

And they tend to focus on films they feel are visions of the particular artist, rather than focus-tested visions of a studio. So I misspoke in saying it would be priority to smaller films by virtue of them being smaller films, that was just my shorthand way of describing that it's those smaller films that tend to exemplify those merits that they value. At least in Best Picture.

I do agree that when a movie is released should have less bearing, but that is another thing that is tough to eliminate because hey, it's human nature to be influenced by what's fresh to you. And the marketing of the studio campaigns and politics of the luncheons also create biases that you aren't going to eliminate.

But I guess I'm just trying to say that I don't mind the focus of the oscars being more narrow than other award shows. I think it can get wider in scope, and it will as younger academy members are introduced from around the world and old white dudes are phased out. But I still think this ends up resulting in diverse, smaller movies, like Pariah or Fish Tank being honored, rather than it now opening the lanes for 5/10 of the BP nominees to be Disney big budget films. And I don't have an issue with that. Let the Oscars be the time for those kind of films to shine, and if we have a phenomenon like Titanic or Avatar or Lord of the Rings, then they can be celebrated too.

(btw, I don't think you're arguing for 5/10 of BP nominees to be populist films. But there are a lot of people that are arguing for something close to that. I think we're actually close to agreeing that a few a year, like a Straight Outta Compton or Inside Out or Planet of the Apes. But my argument is I think we're closer to your vision than what you think. The younger viewers will bring your vision fully home in the coming years, but I hope it doesn't escalate beyond or dramatically transform what the oscars are in the interest of bringing in more viewers)

That's exactly what I was saying earlier too:salute: As the academy continues to diversify and get younger and and people (sadly) die, then the tide changes. Each generation defines what an Oscar flick is to them and a new generation will have their say just like the generation before them did and the ones before them. It's just going to be a slow ride to get there.

And as far as ratings go, they want to appeal to a demo that barely watches tv so that's always a catch 22

I'll wait for your good ideas in the thread:sas2:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Unless you're an ABC or Academy executive I don't think it should matter. The oscars don't need to be the populist awards. They are to make sure smaller films that don't get any recognition other than award shows get some eyeballs on them. They generate some publicity and conversation about films that don't otherwise get publicity and conversation about them.

I'll never really understand the annoyance some people have because the films making a billion dollars at the box office don't also sweep up all of the awards. If not for oscars or other award shows, there are just some films that would never get made. Good, solid films with good, solid actors. The investors and producers of those films know that they aren't going to make any money at the box office, so they count on award recognition and then home viewing to make the investment worthwhile.

And as someone already said, ratings for events and shows are going down across the board. It isn't just the oscars.
Only started in the 00s in the 80s and 90s films and best actor/actress categories were filled of whos who. For some reason as soon as the mid 00s hit they started to get pretentious giving major burn to indies the more obscure and unknown the better. Now they wonder why the ratings have sank:ld:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I'll wait for your good ideas in the thread:sas2:
the formula is stale. Nobody is checking for these things anymore. Like said earlier you can skip the BS and catch the highlights without having to wait til damn near midnight for the only thing you interested in. Midas whale keep stuff the same for the most part.

However while it would be nice to change up the criteria for best pic, like racism I don’t think the voting system is going to die with the old people. The old movie snobs are going to be replaced by young movie snobs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
the formula is stale. Nobody is checking for these things anymore. Like said earlier you can skip the BS and catch the highlights without having to wait til damn near midnight for the only thing you interested in. Midas whale keep stuff the same for the most part.

However while it would be nice to change up the criteria for best pic, like racism I don’t think the voting system is going to die with the old people. The old movie snobs are going to be replaced by young movie snobs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the young movie snobs will be snobbish about different types of flicks tho. One generation grew up on Frank Capra and John Huston. The other grew up on John Hughes John Carpenter and Spielberg. So that may increase the types of flicks they’re willing to give green lights to, but then it becomes them being precious about new shyt.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps

Yeah but they'll be snobbish about new films made by women, minorities, and shyt that appeals to people their age. More Lady Birds and Get Outs, less Darkest Hours. You'll probably get younger actors nominated too. I don't think being snobbish is a bug of their award show, it's a feature.