23 year old black female writer lands 7 figure deal

SmokyQuartz

Young Skull
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Writer lands seven figure deal for Black Lives Matter-inspired fantasy novel
The novels summary
The protagonist is Zélie, who at six years old watched the king’s guards hang her mother on a tree outside her home. She never forgot it. In the beginning, every Orïshan was a magi: born with dark skin, stark white hair and the blessing of the god’s magic once they reached adulthood.

Yet over time, their population dwindled and they became Orïsha’s minority. Magic became a thing to loathe, dark skin transformed into a thing to hate. Ten years after the raid that killed her mother and took away magic forever, Zélie Adebola has one chance to bring magic back.

Through a fortuitous encounter with the Princess Amari, Zélie comes into possession of a sacred scroll necessary to restore a connection to the gods and secure magic for another hundred years. This sets the young women on a quest to end the senseless violence and oppression by the lighter-skinned royal class.

Danger lurks in this west-African inspired world, where lionnaires and cheetanaires roam, and the beautiful villages built over oceans, out of sand or forged in iron hide a dark underbelly of slavery and corruption. They find themselves pitted against a crown prince bent on wiping out magic for good.

Ms Adeyemi, who is Nigerian-American, said she was more interested in inspiring young black girls rather than earning a lot of money.

‘I want a little black girl to pick up my book one day and see herself as the star,’ she wrote on her blog.

‘I want her to know that she’s beautiful and she matters and she can have a crazy, magical adventure even if an ignorant part of the world tells her she can never be Hermione Granger.’

tomiadeyemiYA_1473525820_280.jpg

Tomi-Adeyemi.jpg

My future wife :noah:

Last edited:

delta

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:beli:

Aye who the hell is this :whoo:

im fukking dead :russ::dead: at you immedietely asking who this light skin chick said when the book description is about colorism
Magic became a thing to loathe, dark skin transformed into a thing to hate. Through a fortuitous encounter with the Princess Amari, This sets the young women on a quest to end the senseless violence and oppression by the lighter-skinned royal class.