25 years ago, the most prophetic hip-hop album was released

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
(And bass up the track a lil bit……)

And by that I mean De La’s “Stakes is High”. Not the best of the year but everything they feared would come from hip hops over indulgence in sex, money & murder came true. We see it in the music today (mainstream wise). Content wise raw Common, intro’d the world to Yasiin, maybe Dilla’s T5 greatest beat of all time, and pissed off the Coli’s GOAT. Pay homage

Last edited:

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Album has 6 or so very good songs but is otherwise very boring. Disappointing that they just complained about wack rap instead of focusing on making good music, and they lost their sense of humor.
At that moment in time, it needed to be said. Now look at it :manny:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Album has 6 or so very good songs but is otherwise very boring. Disappointing that they just complained about wack rap instead of focusing on making good music, and they lost their sense of humor.

They had no reason to have a sense of humor at the time, their label was breathing down their neck to change their sound because the rap game was moving in a different direction.

Which is why they came out criticizing everything. There was nothing to be humorous about.

Fred.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

This is a trash review.

plus completely shows you havr no idea about dela whatsoever.

your last line in this post.
shows you never heard dela is dead and this post reeks of poser-dom.

review the album and fool somebody else.

Art Barr

MurderToCassette

Sa Da Tay
Daps
Reppin
I am comfortable and I love you
This is a trash review.

plus completely shows you havr no idea about dela whatsoever.

your last line in this post.
shows you never heard dela is dead and this post reeks of poser-dom.

review the album and fool somebody else.

Art Barr

De la is Dead is Dead still had humor in it (however dark) evidenced by the parody tracks and songs like Bitties in the BK Lounge. Once Prince Paul left, the whole dynamic changed. He kept making darkly humorous records like the first Gravediggaz album and Psychoanalysis, and De La just became grumpy and (in my opinion) boring.

I don't need De La telling me rap music is in bad shape, just make good music :manny:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
De la is Dead is Dead still had humor in it (however dark) evidenced by the parody tracks and songs like Bitties in the BK Lounge. Once Prince Paul left, the whole dynamic changed. He kept making darkly humorous records like the first Gravediggaz album and Psychoanalysis, and De La just became grumpy and (in my opinion) boring.

I don't need De La telling me rap music is in bad shape, just make good music :manny:

STOP.

you just a toy.

That is why you had and still draw issue.

Fool somebody else with thia trash ass review sir.

I ain't goin.

Your review is trash and your idea about rap records is similar.

Review the album or stfu with your bullshyt.

All uv youse.

All this talk and y'all not gon step outside and do a damn thing.

Art Barr

MrRDU

Superstar
Daps
Hardcore De La fan but this album was depressing as hell :mjcry:

Stakes is High is one helluva song tho :ohlawd: