26 years ago, John Singleton blessed us with Boyz N the Hood

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps

I know right. And a year later, Malcolm X came out.

Here is spike lee supporting singleton at the premiere. In fact, Lee was supportive on set and gave John a few gems.

gettyimages-156086570.jpg

At first, singleton Was suppose to codirect do the right thing and Lee was Trippin. John said fukk it and wrote boyz n the hood.

Lee and John made up tho and are friends till this very day

article-urn:publicid:ap.org:1f9c264138da4cbead9246f17dc999d2-1hXBlLzHKt6c70ce89cc04f76fde-179_634x448.jpg

Last edited:

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Bump

As sad a Ricky's death was, I've always felt that Doughboy's character was even more tragic. Singleton made a point of how some mothers who have multiple baby daddies treat their kids differently. I remember a scene when the wheelchair guy something like: "Because they got different daddies".

Their mom mostly likely loved Ricky's dad, which of course led to her treating him so much better and so much love. Doughboy, on the other hand, most likely had a no-good, abusive, hoodlum father who treated her like shyt. Those ill feelings she had towards his dad resulted to her taking it out on Doughboy, as his existence was constant reminder of his dad/her ex. Doughboy NEVER got the love, support, and affection from the beginning. He was doomed from the start.

Last edited:

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Bump

As sad a Ricky's death was, I've always, felt that Doughboy's character was even more tragic. Singleton made a point of how some mothers who have multiple baby daddies treat their kids differently. I remember a scene when the wheelchair guy something like: "Because they got different daddies".

Their mom mostly likely loved Ricky's dad, which of course led to her treating him so much better and so much love. Doughboy, on the other hand, most likely had a no-good, abusive, hoodlum father who treated her like shyt. Those ill feelings she had towards his dad she ended up taking it out on Doughboy, as his existence was constant reminder of his dad/her ex. Doughboy NEVER got the love, support, and affection from the beginning. He was doomed from the start.

I hated the mother, she was awful to Doughboy. Doughboy’s lack of respect for women is funny, especially how well Cube delivers the lines, but sad because it relates to how his mother has always treated him.

me too breh :mjcry: I felt bad for Doughboy the fade scene was paying homage to film Stand By Me

In an interview with Jog Road Productions, producer Steve Nicolaides revealed that Singleton wanted him to produce the film because of his previous work on one of Singleton’s favorite films, Rob Reiner's Stand By Me. Reiner picked up on Singleton’s choice to mimic a fade out effect on one of the main characters at the end of the film. “It was an homage,” Nicolaides told Reiner during the making of A Few Good Men. “I mean, the fat kid wears a striped shirt in it, too.”

Another element that the films share is the invitation to “see a dead body.” Singleton says that he hadn’t actually seen a dead body growing up.

Yall wanna see a dead body scene

Fade scene

Yeah, people always compare BITH and Menace, but they really aren’t similar other than being LA hood movies. Menace was heavily influenced by Scorsese, the whole structure of the first half hour is very similar to Goodfellas, and the rest of the movie follows a sort of vignette/slice-of-life structure like Mean Streets. Also for that matter, there’s a scene in Dead Presidents which is pretty similar to a scene in Raging Bull.

BITH is more of a coming-of-age movie.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
I hated the mother, she was awful to Doughboy. Doughboy’s lack of respect for women is funny, especially how well Cube delivers the lines, but sad because it relates to how his mother has always treated him.

Yeah, people always compare BITH and Menace, but they really aren’t similar other than being LA hood movies. Menace was heavily influenced by Scorsese, the whole structure of the first half hour is very similar to Goodfellas, and the rest of the movie follows a sort of vignette/slice-of-life structure like Mean Streets. Also for that matter, there’s a scene in Dead Presidents which is pretty similar to a scene in Raging Bull.

BITH is more of a coming-of-age movie.
People who criticize Menace are the same ones who praise Goodfellas for the exact same reasons.

O-Dog was almost a mirror image of Tommy Devito, but Tommy is revered by most.....O-Dog on the other hand, is looked at as some thoughtless street thug.

Mike Nasty

Superstar
Daps
Making up a whole elaborate lie about getting p*ssy and telling his dad. Then telling him he went raw. nikka it's a lie, why say you didn't strap up:what:
I've always wondered if "I used the number she gave me" was scripted or an ad-lib. Like Cuba Gooding thought he meant number, but they both kept going.