26 years ago, John Singleton blessed us with Boyz N the Hood

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
boyz-in-the-hood-september-2016-01.jpg

Boyz n the Hood is a 1991 American teen hood drama film written and directed by John Singleton in his directorial debut, and starring Cuba Gooding Jr., Ice Cube, Morris Chestnut, Laurence Fishburne, Nia Long, Regina King and Angela Bassett. This was the film debut for both Ice Cube and Morris Chestnut.

bfi-00m-fe2.jpg

It was nominated for both Best Director and Best Original Screenplay during the 64th Academy Awards, making Singleton the youngest person ever nominated for Best Director and the first African-American to be nominated for the award.

sphe-boyz_n_the_hood_1991-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-en-US-1484000598697._SX940_.jpg

In 2002, the United States Library of Congress deemed the film "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry.

boyz-icecube-cuba-porch.jpeg

202aaa79f906fdc1d8c32c4610c764cf.jpg

tumblr_n5rn3jglIk1ru4p92o1_500.jpg

boyz-n-the-hood1.jpg

f7daa94950f56612ec828d5004df2d77.jpg

How old were you & what do you remember most about the film? @Dip @Meh @OfTheCross @Preacher @BmoreGorilla @Prima Donna @Milk N Cookies @Paradise @Wild self @GoldCoastSaint @BabyGrl1990 @JahFocus CS @Ol' Otis @stomachlines @LordLoco @ATearInMyEye @I'z @reserveone @Swagnificent @DrX @Black Barbie @Trill Russell @RainGawd @OGBobbyJohnson @Ask a Stupid Question @The Devil's Advocate @Zero @bartek420 @Linsky @RippTheRuler @Animal House @dubsmith_nz @The Wave

I was 11 months when my mother took my siblings and I to go see it (she doesn’t believe in sitters) :yeshrug:

So I can’t tell you my first time watching the ’91 debut but I was told the theater we went to was a Crip neighborhood and was jam packed and at the end, there was like a 5 minute standing ovation. My mom said a few crip OGs came out the theater lost for words while others were crying

Last edited:

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
Increase the peace :wow::salute:

:mjcry:

One of the GOAT Movies :wow:

But as I got older Menace has better replay value.

Menace was so damn dark to me. I have both films and I cant stomach menace

Classic but you know what? I watched it so much when I was younger it's 1 of those movies I hardly ever go back and watch these days.

I like Menace more too. :yeshrug:

Oh, I guess I was 8 or some shyt.

Menace is cool but lets discuss BNTH

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
"I ain't from Africa, I'm from Crenshaw Mafia"

:wow:

Lil Hawk from Crenshaw Mafia Bloods would later turn this into a track in the 2nd installment, to the 1993 Bangin On Wax album by "The Bloods and The Crips"

I was two years old when Boyz n the hood cameout, and didn't see the film til' MANY years later. Boyz n the hood set the template for hood flicks in the 90's. It was the first of it's kind.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Great movie.

I was relatively "late" seeing it. I saw it 94-95.

We had a plethora of good hood movies. Don't know why we don't have that anymore. Nothing really speaks to the truth of growing up in the inner city. When now I would think it's just as relevant and inspiring as this was for the time.

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I have a disdain for this movie just because it will forever be compared with Menace 2 Society, and I think Meance was clearly better. shyt, I think Meance 2 Society is the greatest movie of all time:dame:

Plus, Trey was such a hoe ass nikka.

Crying to get p*ssy:gucci:

Making up a whole elaborate lie about getting p*ssy and telling his dad. Then telling him he went raw. nikka it's a lie, why say you didn't strap up:what:

Acting like his hoe ass was a rider, then telling them nikkas to stop the car and let him out when he knew his bytch ass wasn't never bout that life in the first place:martin:

Going from super dark skinned when he was a kid to a light skin nikka when he got older :patrice: