"3 Gary Russell Fights In 1 Night" : Gary Russell Jr-Oscar Escandon - WBC Featherweight Title

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Uzcategui Vows: I Will Shut Andre Dirrell's Mouth, Knock Him Out!

By Ben Jacobs

Jose Uzcategui (26-1, 22 KOs) has been patient, but after waiting a long time for his shot at the International Boxing Federation (IBF) title, he is ready to unleash his frustration on Andre Dirrell (25-2, 16 KOs) on May 20.

The Venezuelan, who resides in Mexico, last fought in August of 2016 when he defeated Fabiano Peña via second round knockout. Despite the ring absence, he has been training in San Diego, California and in Big Bear where he sparred the likes of talented super middleweight David Benavidez.

“I’m in San Diego again after being up in Big Bear,” he explained to BoxingScene.com. “I sparred Benavidez and even though we didn’t do many rounds, he helped me and I helped him for his fight with ‘Porky’ Medina.

“It’s going to be a hard fight for Benavidez as ‘Porky’ has a lot of experience. He’s got a lot of hunger to win. I see it as a 50/50 fight. ‘Porky’ is strong and has fought against better opposition but Benavidez is strong as well.”

dirrell-uzcategui.jpg

Speaking of his own rival, Uzcátegui is not impressed with Dirrell’s recent displays and feels the American is past his best ahead of the upcoming interim title clash.

“I saw his fight with DeGale, I haven’t watched much else. I don’t really care what he brings to the table, I don’t care if he’s a difficult opponent. I’m well prepared and I will win, that’s the most important thing. I can’t wait to get in the ring and shut his mouth for what he’s been saying about me. I will knock him out.

“I believe Dirrell is a bit beaten up, he doesn’t take a good punch and I am very strong, I’m at my peak, the 26-year-old continued.

“I know that at any moment during the fight the lights will go out for him. I know what I have and the power in my hands. The party will be over for him. I’m ready to fight 12, 13 or 15 rounds if necessary. I assure you this fight will not go to a decision.”

‘Bolivita’s belief in his power is such that he is convinced that IBF champion James DeGale will likely avoid fighting him for the full title.

“They know what will happen if they fight me. Every time they talk about me and DeGale there is always some excuse for it not happening. I hope he gets better from his injuries and then we can fight or he can vacate it. But they know the risk of fighting me.”

José lives the majority of the year in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico having moved there from Venezuela six years ago. He decided to host his training camps in San Diego due to the proximity with his home south of the border as well as having an American trainer.

“I feel a little bit Mexican after being here so long, although of course I am Venezuelan. My country is going through difficult times but I know a solution will be found.”

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Jose Uzcategui Will Blast Out Andre Dirrell in Eight, Says Manager

By Rafael Soto

Jose Uzcategui closed the heavy part of his preparation in Tijuana, for the upcoming IBF world title eliminator on Saturday, May 20, in Maryland, against the experienced Andre Dirrell.

The clash between "Bolivita" Uzcategui (26-1-0, 22 KO's) and Dirrell (25-2-0, 16 KO's) will be televised by Showtime.

"I feel very good, strong, fast. Dirrell is not going to beat me. It is true that he has experience but I have the youth, the strength. I'm going to fulfill my dream of being a world champion, I'm going to bring that belt to Tijuana and give my Venezuelan people satisfaction," said Uzcategui, who travels to the fight location on Sunday.

jose-uzcategui%20(1).jpg

Uzcategui, who is promoted by Zanfer Promotions and managed by Jose Cital, has left no stone unturned in his tough training camp. The goal is to knock Dirrell out - and not a decision.

The fighter's managed expects Dirrell to go down within eight rounds.

"Dirrell, we've known him since the amateurs, he has a very particular style of fighting. He does not come forward and he is not very fast or very elusive, we have the key to knock him out. I do not think he will be able to last eight rounds," said Cital.

The weight is not a problem, says Uzcategui, who expects to make the super middleweight limit of 168-pounds without any issues whatsoever.

"I'm going to take advantage of what Dirrell wants to do, I'm a better boxer and I'm stronger, let's go for the world championship. I'm going to be the second Venezuelan to become world champion with a boxing legend from my country like Fulgencio Obelmejías., It would be a privilege to be on that list," said Uzcategui.

The fight will be headlined by another world title fight, with WBC featherweight world champion Gary Russell Jr. defending his crown against mandatory challenger Oscar Escandon.

- See more at: Jose Uzcategui Will Blast Out Andre Dirrell in Eight, Says Manager - Boxing News

i want dirrell to win for sure but he still fights like something's off...uzcategui got schooled by korobov but he got some heavy ass hands :patrice:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
i want dirrell to win for sure but he still fights like something's off...uzcategui got schooled by korobov but he got some heavy ass hands :patrice:
Andre aint had the same spark since dirty ass AA hit him in the back of the head,
Don't know what happened.
Wher eis his brother Anthony at?

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Andre aint had the same spark since dirty ass AA hit him in the back of the head,
Don't know what happened.
Wher eis his brother Anthony at?

Anthony fought earlier this year on Lara's undercard..he's suppose to face callum smith for the WBC belt that Badou jack vacated..supposedly in a couple of weeks but I havent seen anything on this fight being on TV or anything

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Got my ringside seats for my birthday from the wife. :blessed:
See I dig that..your wife got you tickets for a good/great reason...some nikkas have to ask their woman all the time for ticket hookups through their woman's job in order to attend a fight :mjlol:...i too was ringside for Gary Russell's last fight in CT...catch some rep breh and :salute: your wife

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

article_updated_icon.png
Updated at 03:02 PM EDT, Thu May 18, 2017
Photos: Dirrell-Uzcategui, Barthelemy-Relikh - Final Presser

NATIONAL HARBOR (May 18, 2017) - Featherweight world champion Gary Russell Jr. and top challenger Oscar Escandon went face-to-face Thursday at the final press conference before they square-off in the main event of SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING this Saturday, May 20 from MGM National Harbor in Maryland.

dirrell-uzcategui%20%284%29.jpg

Also in attendance at Thursday’s press conference and competing in action on SHOWTIME were super middleweight contenders Andre Dirrell and Jose Uzcategui, who battle for the IBF Super Middleweight World Championship, plus two-division world champion Rances Barthelemy and former title challenger Kiryl Relikh, who meet in a 140-pound title eliminator. The telecast begins at 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT with Gervonta Davis putting his IBF Jr. Lightweight Title on the line against Liam Walsh from Copper Box Arena in London.

dirrell-uzcategui%20%281%29.jpg

Tickets for the live event at MGM National Harbor, promoted by TGB Promotions, are priced at $200, $150, $100 and $50, and are now on sale. To purchase tickets go to http://mgmnationalharbor.com/.

ANDRE DIRRELL

“It’s been a long hard journey for me. But I’ve always managed to climb back on top. The hard work that I’ve put in will make Saturday night easy work.

barthelemy-relikh%20%281%29.jpg

“My opponent is a fantastic fighter. If anyone should be in line for a title it’s this guy. He has the the power and he has the skill. I just believe he’s up against a better and tougher opponent.

barthelemy-relikh%20%285%29.jpg

“I’m going to get in the ring and display all of my abilities. I’m very confident and ready. It’s time for Andre to get on top and stay on top.

barthelemy-relikh%20%283%29.jpg

“I’ve been out of the ring for a while but most importantly, I’ve stayed in the gym in training the whole time. I’ve kept positive mentally as well. Everything is going upward right now and I’m going to take advantage.

“Uzcategui has everything a world champion needs to get to that title, but he’s facing a more skilled competitor on May 20. He’s deserving of the opportunity and that’s why I trained so hard for this fight.

“The title means the world to me. We fight for the titles first. We’re all coming from the amateurs where we got trophies. My love will always be here with the sport until the day I retire.”

barthelemy-relikh%20%284%29.jpg

JOSE UZCATEGUI

“You won’t want to miss any of these fights on Saturday night. It’s a great card and I’m planning to steal the show.

“I like when my opponent talks a lot. None of the stuff my opponent says can help him in the ring. It’s just me, him and our fists.

barthelemy-relikh%20%282%29.jpg

“It’s a lot of responsibility to be the top contender for the belt. I have to make it clear that we deserve this so that I can move on to bigger and better things.

“People are going to get to see my power on display Saturday night, but also my other skills. I can do it all in the ring and I’m going to prove it.

dirrell-uzcategui%20%282%29.jpg

“After this I want to take on James DeGale and Gilberto Ramirez. I’m coming to clean out this whole division and be undisputed. It starts on Saturday.”

RANCES BARTHELEMY

"I'm living a dream right now that I myself never in a million years imagined. Every time I get to speak with my mother in Cuba, I tell her of this dream that I am currently living and how it is still surreal to me. To be able to fight on these big cards in the U.S. after the long journey, after all the setbacks, I could not be any more grateful.

"Being a world champion in two different weight divisions is something still unreal to me after people doubted whether I would even become a world champion one day. But this journey does not stop here for me. I have the urge to keep on going, make history for my people, and fight the big names in boxing.

dirrell-uzcategui%20%283%29.jpg

"Everyone in my team supports and motivates each other because we know we as Cubans have to work twice as hard as everybody else. There is an unfair representation of Cuban boxers among the press and fans here in America. We are misconstrued as being boring fighters therefore we are determined to erase that stigma and prove to everyone that we can brawl and put on a good show just as much as we can box.

“I have been working on some new and different things to add to my arsenal this training camp. My whole team has been incredible and pushed me every day.

“Don’t miss this fight on Saturday night. It’s going to be eventful and exciting. I’m coming to get a spectacular win.”

KIRYL RELIKH

“I’m very happy to be here and be a part of this great show. I will do my best to give a great fight on Saturday.

“Camp was perfect. I have a great team and I’m ready for anything. We worked hard and it’s going to be a great performance.

“I’m ready for any style that that Rances Barthelemy can bring into the ring. We thought that we got the win in Scotland against Ricky Burns, but it is very hard to win on points on the road.

“I always fight in different countries so this is just another one on my list. It’s normal for me. I’m very ready for the challenge and I’m expecting a great fight.

“I hope that people like my style. I’m going to entertain the fans and get a victory over Rances Barthelemy on Saturday night.”

Tags: photos Kirill Relikh Barthelemy vs. Relikh Rances Barthelemy Dirrell vs. Uzcategui Jose Uzcategui Andre Dirrell

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

article_updated_icon.png
Updated at 02:40 PM EDT, Thu May 18, 2017
Photos: Gary Russell Jr, Oscar Escandon - Face To Face at Presser

NATIONAL HARBOR - Featherweight world champion Gary Russell Jr. and top challenger Oscar Escandon went face-to-face Thursday at the final press conference before they square-off in the main event of SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING this Saturday, May 20 from MGM National Harbor in Maryland.

russell-escandon%20%286%29.jpg

Also in attendance at Thursday's press conference and competing in action on SHOWTIME were super middleweight contenders Andre Dirrell and Jose Uzcategui, who battle for the IBF Super Middleweight World Championship, plus two-division world champion Rances Barthelemy and former title challenger Kiryl Relikh, who meet in a 140-pound title eliminator. The telecast begins at 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT with Gervonta Davis putting his IBF Jr. Lightweight Title on the line against Liam Walsh from Copper Box Arena in London.

russell-escandon%20%285%29.jpg

Tickets for the live event at MGM National Harbor, promoted by TGB Promotions, are priced at $200, $150, $100 and $50, and are now on sale. To purchase tickets go to http://mgmnationalharbor.com/.

russell-escandon%20%2811%29.jpg

Russell Jr. was joined by his brothers, 2016 U.S. Olympian Gary Antuanne Russell and unbeaten prospect Gary Antonio Russell, as the trio of brothers look to pick up a hat trick of victories in their hometown Saturday night and on the birthday of their father and trainer, Gary Russell Sr.

Here is what the participants had to say Thursday from MGM National Harbor:

russell-escandon%20%289%29.jpg

GARY RUSSELL JR.

"I never magnify an event, even though it's at home. The end objective is still the same. But I think it's cool that everyone in our neighborhood has the opportunity to be in the arena and see what we do.

"I'm 100 percent physically and mentally ready for the challenge and I'm on top of everything I can be.

"When you get caught up in the hype, it's a deficiency in yourself. You have to be able to focus on the objective over everything else.

"I believe in my ability but also the ability of my brothers. So I'm not nervous for them. I know what they've been taught. They conduct themselves like young men in and out of the ring.

"I want a unification bout after this. I'm ready for any of the other world champions. We can line them all up in the same night if you want. If I can't get those fights, I'm going to move up in weight and bully around these bigger guys.

"I look at each fighter as their own individual. We don't prepare the same way for every opponent. He's a tough fighter who comes forward. He's very physical and I expect him to be at his best on Saturday. It's up to me to counteract what he does.

"I love this sport. I love what I do. I love being able to prepare for no one else, but the person across the ring and then dismantling him.

"We worked on versatility most. We believe in the sweet science. A lot of these guys just win because they're stronger and faster. We want to be more technically sound too."

russell-escandon%20%2810%29.jpg

OSCAR ESCANDON

"This is a very important fight for my career. This is going to elevate me to where I want to be and give me the platform to do anything in the sport. I'm very well prepared for this.

"I feel strong and healthy at 126-pounds. I'm focused on this fight Saturday night. I'll fight anyone but right now I have to get past Gary Russell Jr.

"In my last fight I was the underdog. People counted me out. Same thing applies here. I've done the work and I'm confident that I'm going to win.

"I didn't have complete training camps with my past trainers, but now I'm with Ruben Guerrero. I'm learning so much. You can look at me in my previous fights and you'll see a vast improvement now.

"I want that green (WBC) belt a lot. Green is my favorite color. I want to be the best and to me, winning that title signifies that I am the best. To do that I have to beat the best, and that is Gary Russell Jr.

"I don't like to talk much but I will say that I'm coming to bring this world title back to Colombia. I respect Gary but my mindset is that I'm taking this title home."

russell-escandon%20%287%29.jpg

russell-escandon%20%288%29.jpg

russell-escandon%20%2812%29.jpg

russell-escandon%20%284%29.jpg

russell-escandon%20%283%29.jpg

russell-escandon%20%282%29.jpg

russell-escandon%20%281%29.jpg

Tags: photos Gary Russell Jr. Russell vs. Escandon Oscar Escandon

California Burrito

Slangin' Chorizo
Daps
Reppin
619, CA
and i cant help feel that maybe coming..him being dropped legit by a cat with like 6 ko's in his last fight had me :francis:..uzcategui punches too hard for that..i hope im wrong

he went from a +400 underdog to a +300 after the press conference :troll: told all my boys to take advantage and make a quick flip

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
he went from a +400 underdog to a +300 after the press conference :troll: told all my boys to take advantage and make a quick flip

i can respect the flip..i rock with dre and gary so no bets on them since they are the favorites....i almost want to put a bet on relikh beating barthelemy..not because i think he can do it but because barthelemy's hair offends me :scusthov:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

article_updated_icon.png
Updated at 05:47 PM EDT, Fri May 19, 2017
Gary Russell Jr., Oscar Escandon Make Weight for WBC Title Fight

By Keith Idec

Unlike the first fight Showtime will televise Saturday, there weren’t weight issues at the scale Friday in Oxon Hill, Maryland.

All six boxers scheduled to participate in the final three fights of Showtime’s split-site quadrupleheader came in below the contracted limits for their fights Saturday night at MGM National Harbor.

Gary Russell Jr., the WBC featherweight champion, weighed in at 125½ pounds for his mandatory defense against Oscar Escandon. Colombia’s Escandon weighed 125¾ pounds, just beneath the 126-pound limit for the featherweight division.

russell-escandon%20(5).jpg

Russell (27-1, 16 KOs) will end a 13-month layoff when he encounters Escandon near his hometown of Capitol Heights, Maryland. Escandon (25-2, 17 KOs) will fight for the first time since he knocked out Mexico’s Robinson Castellanos (24-12, 14 KOs) in the seventh round 14 months ago to win the interim WBC featherweight championship in Washington, D.C.

Andre Dirrell and Jose Uzcategui also made weight Friday for their 12-round fight for the interim IBF super middleweight championship.

Dirrell (25-2, 16 KOs), of Flint, Michigan, weighed 167½ pounds. Venezuela’s Uzcategui (26-1, 22 KOs) weighed in at a pound less than Dirrell (166½).

Before Dirrell and Uzcategui got on the scale, Rances Barthelemy and Kiryl Relikh met their contractual obligations for a 12-round super lightweight bout. Cuba’s Barthelemy (25-0, 13 KOs) weighed 139½ pounds, the same weight as Belarus’ Relikh (21-1, 19 KOs).

The weigh-in for the three aforementioned matches was nothing like the scene in London earlier Friday.

Gervonta Davis needed three trips to the scale to meet the 130-pound limit for the first defense of his IBF super featherweight championship against Liam Walsh. Baltimore’s Davis (17-0, 16 KOs) weighed exactly 130 pounds on his final attempt.

England’s Walsh (21-0, 14 KOs), Davis’ mandatory challenger, weighed 130 pounds on his first attempt Friday. Showtime will televise their scheduled 12-round fight Saturday at 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT from London’s Copper Box Arena, before shifting coverage to MGM National Harbor for the Barthelemy-Relikh, Dirrell-Uzcategui and Russell-Escandon fights.