3 Marines die of carbon monoxide poisoning. Can someone get in here and explain this to me?

Daps
70473110007-combo.jpg

The Pender County Sheriff's Office said deputies were responding to a report of a missing person when they found the three Marines early Sunday at a Speedway convenience store along a highway in Hampstead, North Carolina, about 30 miles south of Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune.

A woman called the office that morning indicating that her son, a Marine, had failed to arrive on a flight in Oklahoma the night prior, the sheriff's office said.

"The caller indicated that she had spoken with a supervisor in his unit and that someone was en route to the location to see if they could locate the missing person," the office said.

The woman knew to direct deputies to the gas station because she had pinged her son's phone to find its location, according to Sgt. Chester Ward, spokesperson for the sheriff's office.

At the time, sheriff's deputies were also working on a separate missing person report, the office said.

The office said it received a second call later that morning indicating the missing person had been located at the Speedway and that he, along with two other Marines, was deceased inside of a car.

The North Carolina Office of Medical Examiner performed the autopsies Wednesday, the sheriff's office said.

Ward said he did not know how long the car had been parked at the gas station before it was found or if there were any problems with the car. He said he also did not know where the Marines were headed.

This story is captivating me because my dad and I were actually having a carbon monoxide discussion a week ago, and he told me that he believes that carbon monoxide doesn't instantly kill you. It takes time. And everything I've seen online seems to line up with that.

So I can't for the life of me figure out what could have happened to these marines. Not even one of them felt that something was wrong, started feeling sick?

Something seems off.

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
your body only reacts negatively to carton dioxide building up in the blood.

Carbon monoxide death doesn’t have difficulty breathing or panic beforehand. You just feel drowsy and start slowly slipping away.

Seeing as these are marines, and they were probably at that station at night. There was probably alcohol in their system further reducing their awareness of what was going on.

Daps
your body only reacts negatively to carton dioxide building up in the blood.

Carbon monoxide death doesn’t have difficulty breathing or panic beforehand. You just feel drowsy and start slowly slipping away.

Seeing as these are marines, and they were probably at that station at night. There was probably alcohol in their system further reducing their awareness of what was going on.

I feel like if I was in my car and felt myself starting to pass out, that it would set off alarm bells for me. But like you said, they were probably drunk.

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
This has happened before. A car left running even in an open area can be dangerous. One of the more famous examples was when a New Jersey woman working multiple jobs pulled over to rest before the next gig and died of CO poisoning in a similar fashion to these soldiers. Made national headlines.

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Same thing happened years ago when MTV had this reality show about a group of 20 something’s in the south. I can’t recall the name of the show one of the cast members was out off roading in the mud with some other people. The truck got stuck and the tailpipe was blocked with mud, I think 3 died from carbon monoxide.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
70473110007-combo.jpg

This story is captivating me because my dad and I were actually having a carbon monoxide discussion a week ago, and he told me that he believes that carbon monoxide doesn't instantly kill you. It takes time. And everything I've seen online seems to line up with that.

So I can't for the life of me figure out what could have happened to these marines. Not even one of them felt that something was wrong, started feeling sick?

Something seems off.

I was confused about it too but after reading up on it, it's 100% possible and happens quite often. There was either a leak somewhere along the exhaust pipe leading into the car or even running the AC on high while parked

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Carbon Monoxide poisoning works by displacing the oxygen in your body so you slowly suffocate to death as your organs shut down from lack of oxygen.

It takes a while depending on how air-tight the enclosure is, so, if they fell asleep with the engine running and the windows up, they were dead within about an hour or two.​

Daps
I was confused about it too but after reading up on it, it's 100% possible and happens quite often. There was either a leak somewhere along the exhaust pipe leading into the car or even running the AC on high while parked

Running your AC on high while parked can kill you? :mjtf:

Can someone confirm this? Cause I admit, in this heat in the last couple of weeks, I've done it a few times :patrice:

This has happened before. A car left running even in an open area can be dangerous. One of the more famous examples was when a New Jersey woman working multiple jobs pulled over to rest before the next gig and died of CO poisoning in a similar fashion to these soldiers. Made national headlines.

I'm still confused. So y'all saying that if the car is running, there's a chance Imma die? Or is it just if there's a leak?

I think I'm going to buy a portable carbon monoxide detector, can't be outchere taking chances :patrice:

Daps

nvm, false alarm. :beli:

She kept a container of gasoline in her 2001 Kia Sportage because occasionally she ran out of gas, authorities said.

Early Monday, the 32-year-old Newark woman pulled into a lot off Route 1 & 9 in Elizabeth for a nap. She apparently left the car running and was overcome by carbon monoxide mixed with fumes from the gas can that had overturned, police said. Fernandes was found dead in the car about eight hours later.

I don't travel with containers of gasoline :unimpressed: