31-year-old teacher quit her job. Now she works at Costco—and boosted her income by 50%: ‘I've never been happier'

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
My sister is in education and was working some 6 figure job that literally burned her out. I tried telling her there's jobs like this available in the corporate world but she slid back into teaching :snoop: I gotta send this her way

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
Now I'm a content developer and marketing trainer for the corporate office. I create internal materials to educate employees about policies and customer service procedures. I travel to different warehouses and train new team members.

I'm earning what a teacher with 15 years of experience made at my last school district — and 50% more than what I made when I quit.

Now she makes more than when she was a teacher. She was making less when she was working there at first. Obviously corporate Costco workers make more than teachers.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
Crazy. I've seen school districts holding job fairs in other states and countries to fill vacancies. :manny: Sad but I don't blame them.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
nah this is BS ... my wife is a teacher

she gets the whole summer off
the whole christmas break
easter
break

the weekends

every holiday

and she doesn't bring that shyt home with her

she uses her prep periods in school during her paid hours to grade papers and shyt like that

so she get paid a million dollars a year ? No

do she get paid good? yeah
It's district to district. My girl is a kindergarten teacher in Chicago and it can be night and day one year to the next. Last year was all emphasis on testing and in-class appraisal, she was putting in 60 hour weeks spending almost 2-3 hours every night on curriculum and lesson plans. This year they are a lot more lax. My girl was ready to quit by the end of last year. I think covid may have exacerbated shyt.
Im sure there's private schools that pay more, but most private schools pay teachers less than public schools.
Facts. My girl makes mid-60's and this is her 5th year. Granted Chicago is one of the highest paid districts in the country, but I asked why she didn't switch to private and it's because they generally don't get paid as much and don't have the union to protect them or a pension.

The sad thing is, I think teaching will become like gig work/temp work. No one except the few who can brave it out or those that get in at cushy schools or it becomes the better investment/opportunity available to stay will stay. A lot of people quitting after a few years nowadays. No one ever did it for the money, but the bad outweighs the good.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
If You Didn’t Read It, She Moved Up The Ladder And Now Works At A Corporate Headquarters

When She Was Actually A Store Employee She Made Less Than Her Teaching Job

Slightly less, and that was after 1 day at Cosco compared to 8 years experience teaching.

I made $32,500 the first year I taught and that's in fukking California with Los Angeles cost of living. Putting in 55-60 hour weeks every week while having to do an unpaid internship during the summer for my credential, unpaid observations of other teachers all year for my credential, and taking classes for my credential and master's degree all summer and on saturdays for two years. Not to mention how much fukking work went into my master's thesis that I was having to write the same time I was teaching full time and still taking courses too....and then the moment I finally finish, over $60k in student loans started coming due.

Last edited:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Facts. My girl makes mid-60's and this is her 5th year. Granted Chicago is one of the highest paid districts in the country, but I asked why she didn't switch to private and it's because they generally don't get paid as much and don't have the union to protect them or a pension.
The trade off is that the Job is alot less stressful at private schools because the parents are usually there for assistance and the students aren't disruptive.