9/30/2023: SHO PPV - Canelo vs Charlo (Undisputed Super Middleweight Championship)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
One hour cardio this morning so I was able to watch the epilogue while I was in the elliptical machine. As far as the fight is concerned, I'm probably going to go back and watch it again just to confirm some of my suspicious, one of them being, Charlo, like Errol, doesn't know how to counterpunch.

There were a few times where Canelo would throw that looping hook to body. Charlo probably could have done done damage. But I think it was a combination of not knowing how to effectively counter as well as being extremely timid after he felt the power.

Charlo is a decent counter puncher. I think it's simply Canelo's power too much paired with Mell not being a devastating power puncher (as Pre Derrick James he was not getting dudes outta there like that).

I see two paths for Bud being that he was the topic for a secound
1.Undispute 154 and Retire
or
2.Post Spence rematch, Get a belt from Mell or Tim Kazoo at 154 (prob better to get it from Tim based on WBO allowing automatic Mado when you move up), and then if he beats Tim get an auto Mando at 160 to end 2024, and then Spring 2025 aim for Canelo at 168 for a retirement match.This allows Bud to somewhat move up and see if his power + speed continues to go up and over the year he can slowly add some decent muscle. Plus it would show him on a rampage through divisions thus showing Canelo as the final target where even if Canelo doesn't have belts (say he loses to Benevidez or some shyt) Canelo its still a name and this can be a fantasy fight paired with Bud now being a 6 division champ. They can low key get the Saudis to bank roll it too since Canelo will be done with his PBC deal

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
One hour cardio this morning so I was able to watch the epilogue while I was in the elliptical machine. As far as the fight is concerned, I'm probably going to go back and watch it again just to confirm some of my suspicious, one of them being, Charlo, like Errol, doesn't know how to counterpunch.

There were a few times where Canelo would throw that looping hook to body. Charlo probably could have done done damage. But I think it was a combination of not knowing how to effectively counter as well as being extremely timid after he felt the power.
Mell's shown he's a good counter puncher & he can punch in between shots but like you said, he felt that power & didn't want to take any chances

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
Both Charlo's can counter punch. I read that post like :patrice:

I didn't see much of it against Castano. He just smothered him on the inside. and if I remember correctly, he caught Lubin first and He caught Tony on a catch and shoot.

It's like Shawn Porter said, if he's not going first, he doesn't really know what to do. Same thing happened in the first Castano fight.

If he is a good counter puncher, he needed to be great against Canelo especially since his power didn't travel with him.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
I didn't see much of it against Castano. He just smothered him on the inside. and if I remember correctly, he caught Lubin first and He caught Tony on a catch and shoot.

It's like Shawn Porter said, if he's not going first, he doesn't really know what to do. Same thing happened in the first Castano fight.

If he is a good counter puncher, he needed to be great against Canelo especially since his power didn't travel with him.

If you didn't see Mell counter punch much throughout his career, then there's nothing for me to really say. :manny:

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

The thing is Charlo not the type of counter puncher that lets his hands go at all times. He's more of the "perfect shot" type of counter puncher that catches people off guard. I remember Breadman the coach like a week before the Canelo fight said that Charlo is prone to lose rounds on the cards alot, and I think it's because he spends too much time searching for the perfect counter

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
Those fighters are who you’re comparing Jermell Charlo to concerning this fight being made :gucci:? Yo’ I be feeling insane talking to some of you dudes. Charlo is a good fighter. He’s had a really good career. He’s also the dude that has gotten throughly outboxed by Tony Harrison (twice to be real). Like, you dudes be pulling on the coattails of literal all-time greats to justify bullshyt ass fights from guys that are nowhere near that level :snoop:.

Everyone wants to see Canelo fight David. He goes and fights a good fukking junior middleweight coming off a 16 month layoff by the time they fight, and the boxing public is supposed to be so enthralled and captivated :wow:. What’s the old adage? Nothing kills a fighter faster than inactivity?

Charlo is just a name in this scenario that Canelo is leveraging not to fight David. That’s it. Jermell is not winning this fight, and Canelo knows that. shyt, Jermell knows that. He’s become overly reliant on his power getting him outta adverse situations, and he’s not going to be able to hurt Canelo, so that’s huge issue number one. If people are expecting dude to turn into Lara all of sudden, they’re fukking dreaming. I’m not even mad at Jermell. Get your money, but let’s be real about what this is. It’s Canelo with the bullshyt.

I also hate talking boxing with people like @((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL because they’re such nonstop penis riders that they talk out of both sides of their mouth. He’s talking up Charlo so if by some happenstance Charlo wins—he can say, “Man, Canelo out here fighting killers. I always new this would be a fought fight.” Simultaneously, if Canelo wins, which he will unless some HBO Legendary Nights shyts happens, he can say, “Oh, shyt! Canelo is back! He fought this killer and won!”

It’s an appeal to both sides kinda argument that I see through. The whole shyt is fugazi. I don’t even think he’s permanently ducking David, but all this, “I don’t wanna fight Mexicans anymore,” and “They never sent the contract,” is fukking ducking!?!!

As far as Plant doing more than Spence Vs. Crawford. That fight had a lot of hype after the press conference slap heard around the world, and Plant is popular. Dude has fought on national TV several times and does good numbers. There’s also added race component there that I don’t even need to address, and I mean that in the context of both fighters.

The point is, Canelo is not fukking perfect. All fighters pull some bullshyt at times, and this fight is some bullshyt from Canelo. It’s not even undisputed Vs. Undisputed. Let’s call it lineal JMW versus undisputed SMW or something. shyt is three card monty and dudes are bringing up fukking Roberto Duran :wow:.

Even peeped how old boy was going to act after the fight. shyt is funny. :mjlol:

Some of y’all are hella predictable.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
The thing is Charlo not the type of counter puncher that lets his hands go at all times. He's more of the "perfect shot" type of counter puncher that catches people off guard. I remember Breadman the coach like a week before the Canelo fight said that Charlo is prone to lose rounds on the cards alot, and I think it's because he spends too much time searching for the perfect counter

Looking for the perfect shot against a guy who isn't the most fleet of foot SHOULD'VE come easier, with an emphasis on SHOULD'VE.

And Porter said the same thing about losing rounds but his reason was because he doesn't know where to go or what to do if he's not first.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Looking for the perfect shot against a guy who isn't the most fleet of foot SHOULD'VE come easier, with an emphasis on SHOULD'VE.

And Porter said the same thing about losing rounds but his reason was because he doesn't know where to go or what to do if he's not first.
It was because canelo's defense. Which was probably the most impressive part of his performance. Canelo has mastered the high guard. And his sense of distance is elite. He was always right out of charlo's reach or he would just parry anything on the inside. Even when Charlo did manage to land canelo would roll with the punches and lessen their impact. He held jermell to 18% landed overall.

And Charlo did have success vs previous opponents punching in between shots. But those guys are so much more predictable than canelo. And also way more open. Canelo mainly throws a 1-2 everytime but he's always mixing it up. It could be a right hook up top then a left hook to the body. Or a left hook up top and a right to the body. Or two hooks to the body. He's just always mixing it up and using feints to disguise everything. Combined with his defense he's just tough to crack. Jermell simply had no idea what canelo was gonna throw or even when he was gonna throw most of the time.

This is a perfect example. Canelo throws an overhand right then a left hook to the body. Charlo lets off a huge left hook but canelo just calmy slides out of reach. It's tough to commit to anything when your opponent can read everything you're gonna do. It was just a massive difference in skill between them. Canelo has seen every style at this point. My main concern was that canelo was washed and that jermell would be able to take advantage. But canelo's reflexes and speed were back in full effect. Also, just because canelo has slower feet doesn't mean he has bad feet. Canelo's footwork is still very good. He's Almost always in position to strike. Even when he's defending himself. Canelo actually proved to have better footwork than Jermell. All derrick James fighters have the same clunky ass feet.

IMG-7973.gif

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Even peeped how old boy was going to act after the fight. shyt is funny. :mjlol:

Some of y’all are hella predictable.
damn you did call it for what it was, explicitly
and @((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL )) was hedging like shyt in the lead up to the fight, talking about Canelo having to worry about Mell power and other concerns that never materialized in a 1 sided fight. He missed an opportunity to really let his nuts hang with the Canelo stanning this one :russ:
TBF though Canelo had been looking kind of mid recently, seems like he trained/fought to the level of hype for these recent opponents.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
and @((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL )) was hedging like shyt in the lead up to the fight, talking about Canelo having to worry about Mell power and other concerns that never materialized in a 1 sided fight. He missed an opportunity to really let his nuts hang with the Canelo stanning this one :russ:
TBF though Canelo had been looking kind of mid recently, seems like he trained/fought to the level of hype for these recent opponents.

Canelo knew a bad showing would have been a huge blow lol

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps

Let my nuts hang:what:..... muthafukker I called canelo the future when he was fighting the likes of Matthew hatton:childplease:.....I predicted his entire future and you talking about a "missed opportunity":mjlol:....at the end of the day I'm not gonna ignore my favorite fighters performing like ass. Don't care who they are. If canelo fought like he did vs plant and little g he woulda struggled. But I'm glad I was wrong. Cause it just means canelo got more greatness left in him. I'm not stanning anybody who's heart isn't in it anymore :yeshrug:

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

This gif is the reason why this fight should not have happened in the first place, and anyone who thought Charlo was going to win was purely wishful thinking

How the hell does Charlo have worse feet and lesser quickness than the guy who is 2 weight classes above him? :snoop: :deadrose:

He literally had 0 advantages coming in the ring facing Canelo

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Breadman saying the same shyt I said about canelo's footwork. People confuse slow feet with bad feet. Canelo uses his feet very well and always has himself in position to strike.

Bread’s Response: Staying active gets you better and if the young guns have to take fights in a heavier weight, then make sure it isn’t a 50/50 fight. Make sure the bigger guys isn’t as talented. As time goes on it will work itself out but remember there is a science to matchmaking. If the guys are facing bigger guys, try to find them guys that get stopped so they can keep their ko% up. You don’t want them to struggle too much, because if they struggle too much they will lose confidence or over try for kos.

Canelo does NOT have bad feet. He just isn’t as agile or mobile as some pressure fighters, like say Duran, Fenech or a young Chavez. Canelo’s feet or more like Joe Louis’s or Rocky Marciano’s. Feet that aren’t super mobile but deliberate, direct and purposeful. It’s not a foot race it’s boxing in a ring. Canelo always ends up in front of you. Feet like theirs allows them to create PANIC in the opponent because they stay in position to punch. The opponent’s feel this when they get in the ring with them. So at that point the fight or flee kicks in. If you fight they punch your face off. If you flee you over move, tire out and lose anyway. That’s what those type of feet usually create.

By them taking their time, it creates more anxiety, because it seems that you have to move faster in order to get away from them, than they do to get to you.