9th Wonder Says Without Phonte, There Is No Drake (Audio)

FreddyCalhoun

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston, TX
kanye as the artist that he was, either

phonte is one of the originators of "the regular ass nigg@" artist wave

Breh...They really changed how hip-hop is was viewed for me..." You mean I can like strip clubs and be socially conscious?!?" :lupe:

Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Little Brother is in my top 5 groups. Think good thoughts is one of drakes best songs by the way. The way 9th flipped that anita baker track :leon:

Wish I could find the OG song. It was used by The A.L.L.I.E.S. (Big Remo and Novej). Big Remo is on Jamla right now. They got signed briefly by Dr. Dre/Interscope. Their version was dope. I haven't heard it in years, but it might be on youtube. I'll look.

Here's a couple songs from them.

One of the hardest 9th beats ever IMO and the first song I ever heard from Big Remo

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
Man lemme try to find these songs Phonte did where he sang as Al Green's "disgruntled and less talented" brother. Those were hilarious!

Let me know when you do. I woulda paid bread for that album him and Eccentric did :pachaha:

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
As I've said many times, Little Brother were one of the architects for Drake's music and this is coming from someone who respects Drake's artistry heavily. Drake's run from RFI to SFG was practically a new age LB that transitioned into a young Phonte over 808&HB Kanye production. I may not be a huge fan of Drake's current music but I will always salute him for where he started.

I really do wish Phonte got the mainstream exposure he deserved because he's so multi-talented that he definitely would have parlayed his musical success into other avenues. It's good to see that he's getting some voice acting work now though.