A dog helped kill Baghdadi, joining a long history of canine war heroes

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
By Alex Horton
October 29, 2019 at 1:45 PM EDT
The artillery barrages of World War I were long dormant when Gen. John J. Pershing readied an award for a wounded combat veteran. The soldier took shrapnel to the chest in the brutal Seicheprey campaign in France, survived gas attacks and caught a German scout.

Pershing, the commander of U.S. forces in the war, summarized his valor in a speech and pinned a medal to the soldier, who did not say a word that day in July 1921.

“He merely licked his chops and wagged his diminutive tail,” the New York Times wrote of Stubby, a Boston bull terrier already famous as a four-legged version of Sgt. Alvin York.

AGQP3AH2IUI6THQCDVC4WPP2R4.jpg

Stubby walking in a homecoming parade for World War I veterans in April 1919. (Pat Eaton-Robb/Connecticut State Library/AP)
On Sunday, another dog was added to the hall of canine heroes: A Belgian Malinois that tore after Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in a darkened tunnel in Syria. Baghdadi killed himself with a suicide vest as the dog closed in, and the pup suffered minor wounds before returning to duty.

A photo of the dog, assigned to the Army’s secretive Delta Force, was posted by President Trump, who said the dog did “a GREAT JOB” in the Saturday raid. The dog’s name is classified, Trump and the Pentagon said, though Newsweek reported its name is Conan (after the comedian, not the barbarian).

With a tweet and photo, Trump feeds intrigue about a classified military dog in Baghdadi raid

QYJZQUH2AYI6THQCDVC4WPP2R4.jpg

The military working dog injured tracking down Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in a tunnel beneath his compound in Syria. (White House/AP)
That very good dog is part of a long, scruffy line of war dogs that have served alongside U.S. troops for more than a century. And in each major campaign, dogs have become remarkably agile on battlefields as some of the most fearsome and effective weapons.

“They have to adapt the same way humans adapt,” said Rebecca Frankel, the author of “War Dogs: Tales of Canine History, Heroism and Love.” As long as combatants plant their feet on soil, Frankel told The Washington Post, “dogs are the best nonhuman partners on the ground.”

CouldntBeMeTho

Clarence Pawlicker
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dog Shooting Squad Of Islamabad
World
CNN Uncovers Evidence Hero Dog Sniffed Dozens Of Butts Back In College
October 28th, 2019
article-5036-2.jpg

U.S.—Everyone praised the classified "Hero Dog" for taking down ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

Everyone, that is, except CNN, who quickly searched through the dog's internet history and college yearbooks. Sure enough, CNN found a picture of the Hero Dog partying at obedience school. In the picture, the dog is seen sniffing a butt without consent.

"Oh yeah, good old [redacted]? He was nuts!" said one German Shepherd who attended Old Yaler Obedience School with the hero dog, according to a CNN report. "He was always sniffing any butt he could find. Cats, dogs, humans, you name it. He didn't have a preference. He identified as pansniffual."

Troubling reports from classmates indicate that the dog sniffed all these butts without consent. The dog wrote cryptic things in his college yearbook, apparently referring to different butt-sniffing maneuvers such as the Surprise Sniffarooski and the Canine's Triangle.

The dog has issued a statement: "I like butts. I've always liked butts. I still like butts, but I never sniff butts to the point of excess. Who's a good boy? I am."

Democrats immediately called for the dog to be court-martialed and for the death of Baghdadi to be overturned

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Also..

Its interesting that the last two presidents was able to "get the bad guy" while in office, when their approval rating is down..