A map of Brooklyn gangs in 1974

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Yall corny fakkit new age nikkas in the thread making fun of the names wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes back then.

Why the Jolly Stompers not on that list tho?

I did a google search on some of the "weirder" sounding names and found an archived article from 1974 that's probably part of the same series as the map in the original post

Gangs Terrorizing Brooklyn Merchants

According to Sgt. Lords De Franza of the 71st Precinct, “the main gangs ripping off the merchants” are the Jolly Stompers and the Tomahawks, whose control extends from Crown Heights into Bedford‐Stuyvesant and East New York. Both are de scribed by Lieutenant Conroy as “the two meanest gangs in Brooklyn, the two gangs looking most to develop a bad reputation.”

Reading through this article actually makes it seem like "The Warriors" was closer to reality than I ever would have suspected, back in the :old: era I was born.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Why are black people on this thread shocked that African Americans back in the 70s still have a southern accent?

Even today in 2018 you got African americans in nyc that still have a southern twist in their words.

West Indians and Africans on the other hand do not have to that.

That’s one of my best tactics in figuring out which American black in NYC is AA or a child of an immigrant. The accent. M

I do think this current generation of AAs in NYC might be clear of the southern twist in their words tho.

William Heavy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OG latin kingz..

LatinKingsUptownmid70sb.jpg

These are Chicago Kings. Chicago gangs were the ones that used to wear varsity sweaters back in the day.
extralarge.jpg

tumblr_nn4j4rCIqu1ut23t2o1_1280.png

tumblr_nmtj1l0Vek1ut23t2o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nnh9svjiWw1ut23t2o1_1280.jpg

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
86, at Brooklyn Tech HS
And when shyt got thick, we still manage to stick
Doing crimes wit decepticons up inside of the times
Help me at times, and keep our minds organize
So our knees won't bend, for the enemy

-Steele

:wow:
Smif n Wessun is the quintessential Brooklyn rap group along with the whole Boot Camp Clik.

jackson35

Banned
Daps
I did a google search on some of the "weirder" sounding names and found an archived article from 1974 that's probably part of the same series as the map in the original post

Gangs Terrorizing Brooklyn Merchants

Reading through this article actually makes it seem like "The Warriors" was closer to reality than I ever would have suspected, back in the :old: era I was born.
the ny times is not a good sources when we are on the subjects of gangs