A QUESTION FOR THE OLD HEADS.....DID ILLMATIC REALLY HAVE AS MUCH OF AN IMPACT AS PEOPLE SAY.....

DID ILLMATIC REALLY HAVE AS MUCH OF AN IMPACT AS PEOPLE SAY?

• Yes of course you dumb nigguh:childplease: :ahh:

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • Nah Not really. its a good album but it didnt have a big impact:ehh:

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Nikkas copped it off bootleg, thats why it didn't sell as much

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • nah that shyt garbage, nas lost...

Votes: 12 15.0%

• Total voters

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
It definitely did. It got 5 mics in the Source (which was the hip hop bible of the time). Pretty much any cat you knew that had an inkling of love for hip hop loved that album. It was also a crazy pivotal time in Hip hop. NWA was doing crazy isht on the West Coast, the South was starting to gain love. Wu-Tang had just come out, Biggie was getting love.

Hip hop had just left the "golden era" and this was seen as a true bastion of that era and a beacon of hope that perhaps a second golden era was upon us.

in meant something to the east maybe. It was meh to the rest of the world. Yes the east coast bias mag THE SOURCE pumped it up and probably helped it alot. Southernpalyalistic... funkadafied READY TO DIE the diary THUGLIFE regulate...the g-funk era
Tical It Takes a Thief
On the Outside Looking In We Come Strapped N Gatz We Truss AmeriKKKa's Nightmare all were poppin more

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
in meant something to the east maybe. It was meh to the rest of the world. Yes the east coast bias mag THE SOURCE pumped it up and probably helped it alot. Southernpalyalistic... funkadafied READY TO DIE the diary THUGLIFE regulate...the g-funk era
Tical It Takes a Thief
On the Outside Looking In We Come Strapped N Gatz We Truss AmeriKKKa's Nightmare all were poppin more

see thats my point. A lot of these so called "classic albums" were really just classics among a certain segment of people whether it be geographical or whatever niche. And it seems like albums like Illmatic were mainly just big among East Coast dudes and backpackers.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
see thats my point. A lot of these so called "classic albums" were really just classics among a certain segment of people whether it be geographical or whatever niche. And it seems like albums like Illmatic were mainly just big among East Coast dudes and backpackers.

That's for all the albums of that era though. It wasn't until around 96 on that things started to blur.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Tical It Takes a Thief

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/diction/the_top_125_hip_hop_albums_of_1994/1/

you forgot number 3 :lolbron:

had to dig to #76 to find Spice 1 :dead:

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's for all the albums of that era though. It wasn't until around 96 on that things started to blur.

ehh:patrice: yeah but a lot of these albums from other regions don't get shoved down our throats.

Doctor Wily

CapcomSwag
Daps
What a borough...

You gotta understand that cats rode hard for thier local artists back then (western side of queens was bumpin Nas , Middle/Central was heavy into the Beatnuts that year and over close to my side (eastern queens *Hollis/Q.V) Cats were hyping some dude named Keith Murray and the boogie monsters :manny:

Yes Nas had a major album back then but it wasnt like it DOMINATED every hood and borough. there was too much flava out at that time

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
ehh:patrice: yeah but a lot of these albums from other regions don't get shoved down our throats.

They ain't Illmatic. Go look up any lyric from 94 and before and compare to Illmatic. Listen to any song before and compare it to his flow on it.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
no, it did not...there was a lot of good to great music coming out then...people listened to it, but it didn't have this impact people trying to make it seem like it did...also, the source giving it 5 mics helped amplify this supposed impact.....if you wanna know, the chronic had a bigger impact

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Impact would depend on how you define impact; which is overrated these days due to immense trend hopping. I also can't speak for the West Coast, but that album was a seemingly defining moment. Everyone heard it "over their cousin's house who dubbed it off his friend", so it was very popular. Basically, everyone was captivated by Nas.

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
alot of people get Impact confused with Influence on this board....

illmatic is one of the most influential albums ever but didnt have a big impact when it dropped

Nwa - straight outta compton, Public Enemy - it takes a nation, Biggie - ready to die, Snoop - doggystyle, Dr Dre - the chronic, Run Dmc - raising hell

^^^^ all these albums had a bigger impact than illmatic

only a certain group of hiphop heads fell in love with illmatic the year it dropped....

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I want to curse you out for gauging impact by sales...

But you were probably born in 1995 and don't know any better...

94 was a great year for hip hop... but things were already underway before Illmatic dropped.

:why::snoop::stopitslime: what kind of logic is this. IMPACT has almost EVERY THING to do with sales. lmao.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Impact would depend on how you define impact; which is overrated these days due to immense trend hopping. I also can't speak for the West Coast, but that album was a seemingly defining moment. Everyone heard it "over their cousin's house who dubbed it off his friend", so it was very popular. Basically, everyone was captivated by Nas.
absolute nonsense. we asked my big bro to get it cause we liked it aint hard to tell. THAT ALBUM WAS NOT HOT in any hood i went to ,at school, on the bus etc. Never heard mf's rolling past bumpin it never heard it being played out someone's home. It's faux popularity was forced by the unjustified 5 mics it was given by the source,while great bonafide classic couldnt get 5 mics like doggystyle MATW the chronic. As i named in an earlier post,those albums were hotter than illmatic. In the real world 2pacalypse now impacted people harder than illmatic and THAT album isnt even considered popular.