A QUESTION FOR THE OLD HEADS.....DID ILLMATIC REALLY HAVE AS MUCH OF AN IMPACT AS PEOPLE SAY.....

DID ILLMATIC REALLY HAVE AS MUCH OF AN IMPACT AS PEOPLE SAY?

• Yes of course you dumb nigguh:childplease: :ahh:

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • Nah Not really. its a good album but it didnt have a big impact:ehh:

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Nikkas copped it off bootleg, thats why it didn't sell as much

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • nah that shyt garbage, nas lost...

Votes: 12 15.0%

• Total voters

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not true. Ever heard the term cult classic.
there's a reason they're called "cult classics" b/c they only had an impact on that specific niche or fan base.

Something that has a real impact transcends its niche and core fan base...

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
there's a reason they're called "cult classics" b/c they only had an impact on that specific niche or fan base.

Something that has a real impact transcends its niche and core fan base...

Yeah but Illmatics fanbase happens to be pretty much EVERY rapper. Who cares what the casual fan was listening to cause EVERY major GOAT candidate rapper rocked with it.

Last edited:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Being from the midwest I would imagine it wasn't the same for me as it was to somebody on the east coast, nobody I knew was on illmatic like that. Something like E 1999 Eternal had more "impact" in the circle of nikkas that I was coming up under.

Either way, you can't go off of it's sales...I may not agree with it being hip hops holy grail, and in fact it's probably the nas album I listen to the least, but it definitely had a great influence that started out east and kinda radiated from there, can't front on that.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah but Illmatics fanbas happens to be pretty much EVERY rapper. Who cares what the casual fan was listening to cause EVERY major GOAT candidate rapper rocked with it.
true. I'm not knocking its influence that it has had on hip hop and other rappers, Im just questioning whether it was really the most talked about album at the time

Maybe we measure impact by the fact that we're talking about it on a message board 20 years later? :yeshrug:

I think that has to do with the fact that nas just had more commercially successful albums after illmatic.

I mean think about it, w/o those commercially successful albums, would we still be talking about nas the same way we do??

or would he be just another early mid 90's NY rapper and would Illmatic just be forgotten gem pushed under the rug like Black moon's Enta da Stage ??

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
Illmatic was one of several solid albums in 94.It was like a highly anticipated mixtape of an artist that was talked about for a couple years based off a couple feature verses

I remember Ready To die,Creepin on the come up,The Diary and ThugLife Vol 1 getting more tick in the streets,school,cars etc that year

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:why::snoop::stopitslime: what kind of logic is this. IMPACT has almost EVERY THING to do with sales. lmao.

no it doesn't.

2 completely different things homie.

keep in mind. hip-hop is street culture. most rap sales aren't registered into soundscan.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Ghostface Killah said it made him and Raekwon step up lyrically on OB4CL, 2Pac bumped it while in court so loud he had to be asked to turned it down by the bailiff, Jay-Z as said earlier was influenced by Illmatic, the Clipse used to roll down with Illmatic in their cars, Mobb Deep was inspired by Nas and Illmatic in their recording of the Infamous, Game stole Illmatic from a record store as a teen, Lupe loves Illmatic, J.Cole, Fashawn, Elzhi all made tributes, Kendrick called it the best album ever.

It did have a huge impact and is arguably the most influential album ever, don't listen to these Nas haters trying to tell you otherwise.

Last edited:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sounds like Illmatic is the Andre 3000 of albums....impact on its peers unquestionable,and apparently is the holy grail to a certain segment of fans:manny:

But nah:myman:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
lol @ illmatic being popular amongst just a certain segment of people.

yall trippin.

Self_Born7

SUN OF MAN
Daps
Reppin
all 23 million miles of useful land
when that shyt dropped, me and my boy jumped in the CRX and drove from NJ to DC to Howard Home coming... we played that illmatic from start to finish the whole way down and back... and didnt have to skip not one track.

sticks

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Here's a few things that can somewhat explain why it didn't sell very well at first;
  • there were a crazy amount of bootlegs
  • there wasn't a real radio airplay orientated record
  • lots of other great albums dropping left, right & centre
  • didn't have a puffy type to guide him & gather publicity
  • Nas didn't really tour at the time, he pretty much dropped the album the went back to chill in QB for 2 years