Acquiescence - Egypt coming to grips w/ Trump's decision on Jerusalem

Calmye

Cali born Cali bred
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Great article on how the Middle East is handling the Jerusalem Embassy move. Read the whole article.
ac·qui·es·cence
ˌakwēˈesəns/

noun
  1. the reluctant acceptance of something without protest.
[excerpt from article]

As for those who disagreed, he said, “We should have buses pick up all the people who say they want to go fight for Jerusalem and actually drive them to Jerusalem. Go fight if you are so tough. People are sick of the slogans and all that. I only care about the interests of my country.”

Two of the calls were with other well-known Egyptian talk show hosts. One of them, Mofid Fawzy, quickly denied taking part in any such conversation and immediately hung up the phone.

Lawyers in Cairo protested the American recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel while the government was trying to persuade Egyptians to go along with the decision.CreditNariman El-Mofty/Associated Press
The other host, Saeed Hassaseen, who is also a member of Parliament, stopped returning phone messages and backed out of plans for an interview after a journalist contacted Mr. Megahed and Mr. Fawzy about the calls.

The fourth call was with an Egyptian singer and actress known as Yousra, who could not be reached for comment.

The recordings all appear to match public recordings of their voices, and Captain Kholi’s talking points in each of the calls follow the same lines as his conversation with Mr. Megahed.

“I was just calling to tell you what our public stance is, so if you go on TV or speak in an interview, I am telling you what is the stance of Egypt’s national security apparatus and what it stands to benefit from in this matter of announcing Jerusalem to be the capital of Israel, O.K.?” Captain Kholi began one conversation, with Mr. Hassaseen.

“Give me orders, sir,” Mr. Hassaseen replied, according to the recording. “I am at your command.”

“We, like all our Arab brothers, are denouncing this matter,” Captain Kholi continued. But, he added, “After that, this thing will become a reality. Palestinians can’t resist and we don’t want to go to war. We have enough on our plate as you know.”

The Egyptian military has struggled for more than four years to try to defeat a simmering militant Islamist insurgence centered in the North Sinai, and Egyptian officials have sometimes accused Hamas, the militant Palestinian group that controls the adjacent Gaza Strip, of abetting violence against the government of Egypt.

“The point that is dangerous for us is the intifada issue,” Captain Kholi explained. “An intifada would not serve Egypt’s national security interests because an intifada would revive the Islamists and Hamas. Hamas would be reborn once more.”

“At the end of the day, later on, Jerusalem won’t be much different from Ramallah. What matters is ending the suffering of the Palestinian people,” Captain Kholi concluded. “Concessions are a must and if we reach a concession whereby Jerusalem will be — Ramallah will be the capital of Palestine, to end the war and so no one else dies, then we would go for it.”

All three recipients of his calls pledged to convey his messages, and some echoed his arguments in broadcasts. “Enough already. It got old,” Mr. Megahed told his viewers about the issue of Jerusalem.

In his conversation with Mr. Megahed, however, Captain Kholi added an extra flourish. He charged that Egypt’s regional foe Qatar and its ruler, Emir Tamim bin Hamad al Thani, were the ones guilty of collaborating with Israel.

“You also will say that Tamim and Qatar have secret ties to Israel. You know all that,” Captain Kholi told the talk show host.

“Obvious ties,” Mr. Megahed replied. “My pleasure. My pleasure. I will include it in the next episode, God willing.”

#Trumpset:blessed:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Egyptian society is very paranoid and Israel is a big source of it. Most Egyptians hate Israel for obvious reasons. Most Egyptians hate the government's policies of closing off Gaza at the behest of Israel. It's a big source of national shame.

But in terms of military and intelligence, the two countries are cooperating much closer now because of Sinai and the threat of terrorism.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Egyptian society is very paranoid and Israel is a big source of it. Most Egyptians hate Israel for obvious reasons. Most Egyptians hate the government's policies of closing off Gaza at the behest of Israel. It's a big source of national shame.

But in terms of military and intelligence, the two countries are cooperating much closer now because of Sinai and the threat of terrorism.

Is that bad/wrong?

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Not bad at all, they should be.

But the blockade on Gaza being done by both of them has contributed to the terrible humanitarian situation there.

from everything I've read and heard the situation would be terrible without the blockade so how can the situation be fully resolved?

Calmye

Cali born Cali bred
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
from everything I've read and heard the situation would be terrible without the blockade so how can the situation be fully resolved?
It can be resolved if there is a true peace in the states and people can move on. If you read the article the mood around the Middle East is beginning to shift. Peace talks and a real solution my be coming in the next few years. Only then will the humanitarian issue be resolved and Palestine will be able to focus on Global and Regional economic growth and trade.

Raptor

All Star
Daps
Reppin
World
:sas2:The Israeli's are lucky that Arab leaders have no sense of honour or loyalty and can be easily bought off
Arabs have always been self serving cowards.
That's how the British managed to convince Arab tribesmen to betray the only Islamic power in the middle east for some Christian gold and trinkets, which lead to their colonisation and the Israeli situation. They haven't learnt from their ancestors mistakes. .
:hhh:There's no people as pathetic as the Arabs.

Calmye

Cali born Cali bred
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
:sas2:The Israeli's are lucky that Arab leaders have no sense of honour or loyalty and can be easily bought off
That's how the British managed to convince Arab tribesmen to betray the only Islamic power in the middle east for some Christian gold and trinkets, which lead to their colonisation and the Israeli situation. They haven't learnt from their ancestors mistakes. .
:snoop: please stop this. Read the full article and comment on your thoughts. Stay on topic breh.

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
Arabs see Iran and Turkey more of an enemy than Israel. If they wanted to they could have changed the military balance on the ground. Simply arm and supply the Palestinians with ATGMs,manpads and see how fast the military balance changes. Iran did that to Hezbollah and Israel struggled to against them.
Oh I can't wait for this solution

:skip:
It will be the final solution.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
It will be the final solution.

:whoa:

I doubt it will come to extreme violence. Israel for all its sabre-rattling is not looking for widespread destruction, especially for its own country. But Egypt being an ally had better convince Israel to let up on the Palestinians and work toward that peace process sooner than later. Giving terrorists a reason to bomb you and being on the wrong side of a struggle is not a place Egypt wants to be.

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
It can be resolved if there is a true peace in the states and people can move on. If you read the article the mood around the Middle East is beginning to shift. Peace talks and a real solution my be coming in the next few years. Only then will the humanitarian issue be resolved and Palestine will be able to focus on Global and Regional economic growth and trade.

The environmental issues in Gaza seem past the tipping point and it's not a self sustaining country. I think the world need to be realistic with their solution.