Adam Carolla vs. Gavin Newsom: What's Wrong With Blacks And Latinos?

Sam Peel

Banned
Daps
Reppin
South London
California Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom had a heated discussion about socioeconomic inequality in America with unlikely source on Friday: comedian and radio personality Adam Carolla.

Carolla invited the Lieutenant Governor onto his radio program to discuss Newsom's new book, "Citizenville: How to Take the Town Square Digital and Reinvent Government."

While the segment started with friendly banter about government inefficiencies, the tone changed when the conversation turned to minimum wage, economic inequality and poverty.

"I want everyone to plan. Look down the road six months," said Carolla. "Yes they foreclosed on your home. That's why you need to have a network, a community, friends, family members, money put away. Don't have the kids."

"Think about it, Adam," challenged Newsom. "Half of African Americans in the state of California, and roughly half of Latino families, have no access to a checking account or an ATM."

And that's when things got hairy.

"What's wrong with them?" asked Carolla. "I want to know why those two groups don't have access. Are they flawed?"

Newsom quickly attempted to steer the conversation elsewhere. "I don't want to have a sociological debate," he said.

"I want to know why [Blacks and Latinos] are struggling," Carolla continued. "Do Asians have this problem? Why do so many [Blacks and Latinos]? Blacks have been here longer than we have. What about Asians--they were put in internment camps. Are they at the check cashing places?"

"Why are [these problems] concentrated in the African American community?" Newsom responded. "Look at the history. It's naïve to suggest that those things don't matter."

"How about the Jews?" asked Carolla. "No problems in the past? Whose had it worse? Why are the Jews doing well? [...] Why do some groups do so much better? I'll tell you why: They have a family who puts an emphasis on education."

Carolla then credited socioeconomic inequality on the lack of two-parent households.

"The family is the number one problem in the Black community. […] It's simple. Fathers, stay at home, raise your family, do your homework with your kids, put an emphasis on education like the Jews, like the Asians, and let's see what happens to the problem in 20 years."

Newsom, who was raised by his mother after his parents divorced, criticized Carolla for simplifying the problem.

"I think it's a much more complex issue," said Newsom.

An excerpt from the show below:
[ame=http://youtu.be/42wbI7LxRns]Adam Carolla interviews Gavin Newsom - YouTube[/ame]

Daps
It's good to see the discussion in a mainstream outlet.

so many of the problems in the united states really revolve around the gap between Whites/East Asians/ South Asians and Blacks/ Latinos (to lessor degree for latinos).

We when talk about our schools failing our children. Who are they really "failing"? If you removed Blacks and latinos from the the scores, then there isn't really a problem with American test scores actually.

Then there's a a problem with Gun violence and homicides. Who commits the majority of the Gun murders?

Murder in America - WSJ.com By and large Blacks.

Go to any college campus, or any Business campus (google/intel/oracle etc), and you'll definitely see an East Asian and South Asian majority with Strong white presence and very few Blacks and latinos if any.

Race seems to matter much more in our society than many are willing to admit.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
My question is how does Carolla expect Newsom, or any politician for that matter, to force people to be good parents?

Yung Yogurt

Culo Season
Daps
Reppin
Team Peakaboo
Wtf is so important about having a checking account? Banks ain't looking out for nikkas, money is money wether it's under your mattress or in an account. Now if nikkas said savings account that's a whole other problem. (I had one since I was 16 before nikkas start coming at me in that manner)

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
this sounds so much more fukked up out of context, I listened to the entire podcast days ago, didn't expect this to become some news worth article. Adam grew up poor as fukk with shytty parents who didn't care about him. He couldn't even read until he was in his late 30s. Adam has a point in that to raise good kids, it's much easier to do in a stable environment that emphasizes education, but that is just one small factor in this huge picture here. The podcast wasn't even about any of this, this was like 5 minutes of discussion. Couldn't get much of a straight answer from Gavin the entire podcast, he just kept bringing up different issues (like he did by bringing up that random factoid and switching the conversation).

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this sounds so much more fukked up out of context, I listened to the entire podcast days ago, didn't expect this to become some news worth article. Adam grew up poor as fukk with shytty parents who didn't care about him. He couldn't even read until he was in his late 30s. Adam has a point in that to raise good kids, it's much easier to do in a stable environment that emphasizes education, but that is just one small factor in this huge picture here. The podcast wasn't even about any of this, this was like 5 minutes of discussion. Couldn't get much of a straight answer from Gavin the entire podcast, he just kept bringing up different issues (like he did by bringing up that random factoid and switching the conversation).

Not really. What works most often and what doesn't is well known world wide. Mainstream America ignores these things because of our philosophical ideologies.

Its fine for someone like Corolla to make it. There are just as many blacks and latinos that made it from tough spots, which is why he's just being an ignorant comedian. His generalizations about who is successful is ridiculous as well. Disadvantaged populations with similar histories that especially are not recognized within that society struggle world wide. Any immigrant that moved to a country, the US in our case, to work or go to school, or even of their own passion is going to probably be a successful population. Stop comparing everyone to them. I don't make excuses. It just is what it is, and idiots like Carolla do nothing but harm by speaking with ignorance and empowering ignorance.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Adam Corolla is an unfunny dikk so his little screed is irrelevent...what bothers me is that Gavin Newsome makes the statement about blacks and Hispanics not having access to checking accounts/ATMs like those people have no options.
I'm sorry but if you have a check coming in (whether from the government or a job) you need to smarten up and get a fuclking checking account from a bank or credit union instead of paying some busted ass check cashing place a percentage just to cash a fukking check. How ignorant is that?

intilectual recipricol

Killin fake hip hop
Daps
Reppin
The Brook
problem is its a lot easier to fukc some sh1t up than it is to fix it. the US fukced us up with slavery and then the subsequent discrimination (including destroying the african family unit)... now that theyve stopped overtly doin said shyt (in some cases if we choose to overlook the repubs and voter reg/profiling/etc) to simply say, "okay, now stop bein broken..." is fukcin insanse.

Its easy for me to drop a vase from the top of the stairs, only takes a second... how long is it going to take me to glue those fukcin pieces back together though? will it ever be like it would be if I never dropped it? What if I never really make an effort to put those pieces back together, just tell the pieces, "hey, Im not dropping you anymore, get back together..."

So yeah, its possible to climb outta this shythole they put us in. But without actual shyt in place to reverse what was originally done I wouldnt even expect large numbers to do it. The people that broke the shyt have to actively put it back together on some "you broke it, you buy it" shyt.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
Adam Corolla is an unfunny dikk so his little screed is irrelevent...what bothers me is that Gavin Newsome makes the statement about blacks and Hispanics not having access to checking accounts/ATMs like those people have no options.
I'm sorry but if you have a check coming in (whether from the government or a job) you need to smarten up and get a fuclking checking account from a bank or credit union instead of paying some busted ass check cashing place a percentage just to cash a fukking check. How ignorant is that?

some people are lying low though trying to avoid child support and other claims

but certainly if we're talking 50% there's a lot of people just being lazy/disorganized

with hispanics I was thinking the immigration status might be an issue but just realized as long as you have photo ID banks don't care what your residence status is

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
word lets start here and then talk about the family shyt later

It reminds me of something interesting @The Real mentioned once, is that if you group low income minorities as a demographic the statistics in general are very different from what you'd expect in a median sense. Saying "let's make sure poor people have a bank account" is the kinda thing we talk about with subsistence wage earners in developing countries.

I can't find his post but it was something related to aids, poverty and other factors

Last edited by a moderator: